• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Work on your grip(especially support hand thumb). Work on adding tension to the back of your dominant side wrist and clamping wrists together. Toss in some snap caps randomly into your mags and shuffle them up at the range to work on flinching. It only takes a couple times of seeing your front sight nosedive when you *click* on a snapcap to make to focus on pressing the trigger straight to the rear without the flinch.

At the range, stop when you get fatigued. Don't keep shooting and reinforcing bad technique if your hands and mind get tired. You want to end on a high note.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Rt handed shooter. Many times with the PPQ I will squeeze the trigger until I feel the wall and the sights will slightly dip, so I pause and then after I get the sights back on target, I continue the trigger pull. I'm thinking that may be lessening the worst results of the flaws in technique.

Thanks for the offer Biggfoot. I would definitely like to get a set of more experienced eyes on what I'm doing. Self-discovery is cool, but it is also slow.

The other major problem I worked on (couple months ago) was the placement of the support hand grip (2 thumbs forward). Previously I was concentrating on rolling the wrist forward and squeezing hard with the fingers. After a while I figured out that I was leaving a gap between my strong hand and support hand on the grip. This resulted in constant readjustment of the grip no matter how hard I squeezed; and it also didn't help the flinch/milk at all (I often shot better one-handed).

So now I concentrate more on the blade of the palm of my support hand having contact with my strong hand toward the rear of the grip. It seems to work a lot better as far as not having to readjust.

Last edited:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Also, pickup the airsoft version of whatever gun you shoot and a gel target. Just hangout and shoot while watching the tube. I keep one down in the laundry room and shoot a mag every time I go down to do laundry(Also do either pull-ups or some kind of push work during laundry trips at the weight set). You can get a lot of practice time in at home that transfers pretty well to the range.

Attachments

• 20180513_081011.jpg
      20180513_081011.jpg
      40.1 KB · Views: 155

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    At the range, stop when you get fatigued. Don't keep shooting and reinforcing bad technique if your hands and mind get tired. You want to end on a high note.

I shot a set of three targets with each gun. The targets I uploaded were the last of each set of three (torso outline, 5 dot, then NRA bullseye). The Red dot was the last target of the session. I was definitely feeling fatigued with the red dot. I shot it at an extremely slow pace, lowering the gun between each shot.

On a side note, I find the red dot so much easier to see any dips/shakes/tremors in aiming point (which helps me concentrate). However, in a stressful situation, I can see it being difficult to get proper eye alignment without a lot of practice. I'd say about 30% of the time my initial alignment is off and I can't even see the dot.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    First paragraph of post #23 !

The default baseline of trigger control is smooth CONTINOUS pull straight back . You observed yourself the sights dipping at (particular point) . Dryfire concentrating on keeping steady throught the pull until the firing pin strikes, and then some more for follow through .

( Yeah , I know about trigger staging , riding thw reset, yet . Those are level two trigger skills . Master the fundamental smooth & straight thru first as baseline . Then , if you wish, experement with more complex techniques to be optionally used at certain times .)

Fatigue is bad . Hand strength ( meaning endurence moreso a single extra powerful squeeze ) is always a good thing .

Shooting uses certain muscles and combinations of muscles not normally used in everyday life, or most types of working . There are various expedient exercises , but the single best aid is a Gripmaster . They come in three strengths ( for consumer market, there are a bunch more for physical therapists ). Start with either blue ( light) , or possibly red (medium) . The goal should be building up reps , not impressing people with how much with one squeeze . Until you are effortlessly doing 100 reps at a time, you are improving with the lighter option.

And not just your dominate hand. Equal reps, and ultimately equal strength in both hands should be your goal . ( Reduced strength in one finger of my support hand has made a big difference in my shooting ability .)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom