• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    My son is 5 years old and I've never taken him shooting. I don't know that I will at least for the next couple years, but I'm starting to think about a first rifle for him. I have a model 1906 Winchester pump that my Granny taught me to shoot with in Missouri (Missoura ha). Funny enough, SHE was the one that would take me to shoot when I was young. We'd leave town and head to the farm to pick vegetables in the garden and then we'd set cans up and plink away.

Anyway, I plan on him shooting his first rounds out of that same pump 22, which was also the same gun I shot my first rounds out of, and the same gun my father and uncle shot with their first times as well.

So, my dilemma is I'd like to buy him a decent 22 rifle that's essentially going to be his when he's old enough. I'd love to start him on a bolt action... but here's the kicker... I'd also kind of like the rifle to be tube fed as well. Don't ask me why, because I don't really have a reason, just love me some tube fed .22's.

So I'm trying to find a bolt action, tube fed 22 rifle, with iron sights that isn't a plastic POS... I was thinking about a Marlin 60 and just dealing with the fact that it's semi auto... and that may end up being the gun, but I think it would be nice to find a used old bolt action-tube fed rifle that was well taken care of, heavy, and not made of plastic...

Anyone have any ideas on an older gun that fits that bill and won't break the bank? Marlin Model 81 perhaps like the picture I'm posting? That's a beautiful gun there...

Attachments

• D__Marlin_Model_81__no_letters_or_serial_number___v_1517430762.JPG
      D__Marlin_Model_81__no_letters_or_serial_number___v_1517430762.JPG
      36.8 KB · Views: 277

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    not helping you, but brings back memories of going up in the woods behind my grandparent's house in penna (glen lyon in luzerne county) with my dad and shooting his rem .22 bolt with tubular stock and open sights, that i think he had as a kid. "killed" a lot of bottles and cans with that rifle! i also remember when i was old enough to do that alone, walking down to the local hardware store, with the rifle, buying a brick of .22 for like $5, and then up into the woods for more can killing.

get out there with your kid now or at least don't wait too long! great bonding moments!

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    At a gun show, you might be able to find an older Mossberg (I don't remember the model number), or a Western Field (Mossberg made for either Sears, Wards or Pep Boys). Good luck.

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    I would buy two rifles.

A CZ Scout for sooner. And a Marlin 39 for later. The Scout is not tube fed but comes as a single shot because of the magazine plug. The magazine plug drops out with the mag release and you can put any CZ mag in its place. You can convert some CZ mags to 4 shot and they fit perfectly flush (the 5s don't stick out much though). For the money you won't find a better youth 22lr. And for later the 39 is still about the coolest 22lr ever made.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    My first .22 was a single shot chipmunk with a really nice walnut stock. I still have it and it will be handed down.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    How about an old Savage Model 5? BA and tube. They also have many modern models w/ the accutrigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom