• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    In Washington DC people can grow their own marijuana legally. Potheads really should be encouraged to grow their own plants, it would keep a lot of money out of the hands of gangs and drug cartels.

SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    I find it funny that there's 56 firearms but they then say "numerous rounds of ammunition". Makes it sound like there was only 1 round for each gun. You'd think they would use the word hundreds or thousands. If there was 56 guns and less than 100 rounds wtf? Ha

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'd laugh my ass off if it was somehow this one person I've met before, a real douche that went on a gun buying spree but has absolutely no knowledge of firearms.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    http://smnewsnet.com/archives/37234...in-calvert-county-and-confiscate-56-firearms/

In this article, it mentions the "Maryland Gun Center". What is that?

the article might mean MSP generically, but MSP also has a Maryland Gun Center. Its supposed to log traces and crime guns, amount other things. It's not currently being used in any meaningful way. it could be used to gather data for the antis, or it could be used to gather info helpful for us, or it could be used to gather as much data as possible and let the data show what it shows.

I know someone that wants to see it used to its full potential as a crime fighting and data gathering tool.

Jack McCauley

Oct 16, 2014
    The Maryland Gun Center

This is currently one of my biggest issues with the waste of what could be a valuable resource. In 2013, the Maryland State Police received supplemental budgeting to develop the Gun Center. The figures are hidden and woven into the Fiscal Impact Analysis on the Firearms Safety Act. But essentially, the initial cost was 2.5 million dollars. An annual increase in the Department's budget to continue this operation is unknown.

The Gun Center is separate from Headquarters and separate from the Licensing Division. It is located in a semi-discreet location within the Criminal Investigation Division Headquarters.

The Gun Center is staffed 24 hours a day. They are designed to take live calls from any law enforcement agency who may need assistance on firearm seizures. The experts there have a strong grasp of both state and federal firearm laws. Initially, they are supposed to help the various agencies in ensuring proper charges are placed against the suspect and that any prosecutor assigned the case can receive assistance throughout the court proceedings.

The Gun Center has the unique ability to also trace all of the recovered firearms and develop a statewide analysis on crime trends. The problems is they are not properly collecting the data. This division was designed to give everyone a better picture of where crimes guns are originating. It can give us an accurate picture of the true source of crime guns, not the lies told by Demarco that are spoon fed by the ATF (A whole other topic).

Currently, under the ATF's E-tracing system, agencies can not share data with each other. For example; If BPD recovers a crime gun that was bought by a suspect living in Anne Arundel County, the AA County Police would never know this information because the ATF does not allow the sharing of data between agencies. The Gun Center was lawfully established to correct this information sharing flaw. An MOU needs to be signed between each agency that allows this data to be shared. At last report, several allied agencies have simply failed to sign the MOU. In addition, the reporting of firearm seizures has been voluntary. I have seen a memo from the former AA County Chief and now Baltimore City Acting Chief, that ordered his personnel to report all firearm seizures to the Gun Center. But I am not sure of what other agencies are doing.

At the end of this year, the Gun Center is required (written into the FSA13) to provide a report to the Maryland General Assembly on the data they have collected. The problem is that data is useless because they have refused to compile a simple database, ask a few questions of each caller, and fill in some important information. Information like; was the gun stolen, where? Was the suspected a prohibited person? Where did the firearm originate?

Wouldn't it be nice to have a clear picture of where crime guns originate. This center offers that ability. But they refuse to use it to the fullest capabilities. And no one is forcing all of the agencies to cooperate. Currently we only have small samples of gun crime data from each geographical area. We need to combine all of the statewide data so we have a clear picture.

My true guess as to why this has not been fully corrected is because lawmakers do not truly want to know the facts. The facts would reveal that crime guns are generally stolen, the possessor is prohibited and never legally purchased the gun to begin with, straw purchases are actually not the problem and are rare, and the Firearms Safety act has absolutely zero effect on gun crime.

SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County

"My true guess as to why this has not been fully corrected is because lawmakers do not truly want to know the facts. The facts would reveal that crime guns are generally stolen, the possessor is prohibited and never legally purchased the gun to begin with, straw purchases are actually not the problem and are rare, and the Firearms Safety act has absolutely zero effect on gun crime."

Well said!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Once again , all bow to the good Captain.

That said : leave it to the MSP to take a very marginial "problem", apply a massive overkill of $$ , and totally screw it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom