• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    i do all my reflecting while im watching its leg kick but mostly im trying to recall my jerky recipe.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I love my muzzleloader, but realize they have more kick than small bore rifles and a cheap scope might not hold up too well. I'm on my 3rd scope. My CVA optima came with a Tasco which wasn't accurate at all, I bought a tradition (a $100 scope) and the hairs rotated 20 degrees on the 3rd shot. I know have a Leatherwood Hi-Lux now, we'll see how she does.

I am shooting 250g bullets with 2 777 magnum pellets. I will dial down my powder and probably move to loose powder after I use them up.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    And I forgot to mention. For $220, CDNN has a Rossi combo for 50 BP and 12 rifled barrel. I've been thinking about picking one up as a back-up...

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    I love my muzzleloader, but realize they have more kick than small bore rifles and a cheap scope might not hold up too well. I'm on my 3rd scope. My CVA optima came with a Tasco which wasn't accurate at all, I bought a tradition (a $100 scope) and the hairs rotated 20 degrees on the 3rd shot. I know have a Leatherwood Hi-Lux now, we'll see how she does.

I am shooting 250g bullets with 2 777 magnum pellets. I will dial down my powder and probably move to loose powder after I use them up.
    just get a bushnell dusk til dawn shotgun scope and put on it. i have had that same scope for 10 years and cloverleaf at 100. i also have a simmons whitetail classic on my traditions that is on year 13 now. I dont think simmons makes them anymore though.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I don't own a scope that is a dime over $30.00 on any of my muzzleloaders. Never had a problem since I bought them new and they been in use for many years each. Back 15 years ago I have a Knight Wolverine and put a Simmons 4X black powder scope ( Model# BP somthing ? ) on it and the front front glass was fractured after 3 shots. Ever since then I have been using those Tasco or whatever Walmart has for $25.00 to $30.00 and they are rifle scopes. Never a single issue since.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    whats a good bore cleaner for muzzle loaders?

I have been using Hoppe's #9 Plus BP Solvent for years. That stuff is just badass. This bottle is about 15 years old and man a little goes a long long way. It'll rip the tar off of the road LOL I have tried several other products out there like TC cleaners and a few other foaming types, but, none of that compares to my Hoppe's.

Note: SHAKE WELL

Attachments

• DSC03128.JPG
      DSC03128.JPG
      68.7 KB · Views: 129

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I have been using Hoppe's #9 Plus BP Solvent for years. That stuff is just badass. This bottle is about 15 years old and man a little goes a long long way. It'll rip the tar off of the road LOL I have tried several other products out there like TC cleaners and a few other foaming types, but, none of that compares to my Hoppe's.

Note: SHAKE WELL

I'll have to find/try some...Ive tried the foam stuff and while it cleans the dark powder the first couple patches, the patches never comes clean as stated...even after many cloth swabs

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Hey SoMdShooter, I have been reading this thread and am interested in casting lead bullets. Would you post about it?

LOL funny you should mention that. I just literally got done casting, what ended up being 82 bullets, for my Rossi muzzleloader. These are my standard .45 cal / 340 grain casts.

I have been trying to get the head hochos of this forum to add a Casting section to the forum since all of the casting threads get lost in the sauce around here.

Get everyone together and c
    onvince them to add this very important section and I'll talk about it until the Sun comes up for a year of Sundays.

Here's my bullets I just got done making not 20 minutes ago from some garbage lead that came from who knows where. These will go in my usual Harvester 50 cal #H15045BR Crush-Rib sabots.

Plenty more casting stuff here if this link works for you : CASTING PICS

Attachments

• DSC03129.JPG
      DSC03129.JPG
      111.2 KB · Views: 243

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    After reading more on the black powder page I am feeling the need to find some Lee molds, and try this.

Nothing to it at all. All you need is the basic equipment like a pot, burner, mold, and lead. If you get an electric melting pot then it is probably faster, but, not a much pride in pouring as dipping your own lead to me.

This is my casting setup. Simple and makes many bullets.I use a 20 pound propane take with a crab pot steamer burner mounted to a section of 2 X 8 lumber and this is the only way I have ever done it. I'm not against a melting pot, but, it is not my style and I prefer the cheap investment of the propane burner.

burner%25202.jpg

burner%25201.jpg

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    After reading more on the black powder page I am feeling the need to find some Lee molds, and try this.

I am sure you have seen me mention the fact that a retail pack of M/L bullets cost about $20 to $24.00 per 15 or 20 bullets This is where I have that WTF !?!?!?! moment LOL.

There's not much difference in a retail M/L bullet, which is nothing but a pistol bullet in a plastic sabot without the lube bands. Now if you can cast your own .45 caliber bullet, and have the advantage of making something heavier than them cute little 240 grain bullets everyone like Walmart / Dick's sells, then you can make your own M/L bullets until the Cows come home.

For pennies a bullet you can make several hundred dollars worth of bullets for less than what one pack of store bullets cost. You know a store bought M/L bullet can cost $1.00 to $1.50 a shot depending on what company you choose ( Barnes, CVA, etc. )

I prefer to put my money down range instead of in someone's pocket.

The bullets I casted last night, in post #91, with the lead and sabots, total investment is about $10.00 per 100 bullets. There is only 82 in that picture. My plan was to only make about 50 since I only had one 50 pack of sabots left, but, you see how easy it is to make more than you expected.

These 255 grain bullets I made one night for specific use in my CVA Optima pistol. There might be a grand total of $30.00 invested here for over $200.00 worth of muzzleloader bullets.

45%2520255%2520cva%2520optima%2520pistol%2520booltis.jpg

OnHoPr

Oct 20, 2013
    SE MI
    Those will probably bounce off a deer's shoulder and not much accurate after 25 yards.:innocent0

Lee 240 gr FBRN with Harvester and 120 gr of Pdex Sel. Its 66/33 Pb/WW, the 44 cal 310 on the left is hard cast but needs a GC so it doesn't blow the sabot. Maybe next I'll try the 45 cal.

The slug gun gives more shots on game if needed and is less fussy in the cleaning department along with being just as accurate.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Those will probably bounce off a deer's shoulder and not much accurate after 25 yards.:innocent0

Lee 240 gr FBRN with Harvester and 120 gr of Pdex Sel. Its 66/33 Pb/WW, the 44 cal 310 on the left is hard cast but needs a GC so it doesn't blow the sabot. Maybe next I'll try the 45 cal..

I assume you are referring to my bullets ? The 255 grain for my pistol ? The 255's are pretty deadly. I don't shoot at shoulders ;) I also shot this Buck at about 30 yards ( with a pistol )

Attachments

• 1018131940a.jpg
      1018131940a.jpg
      54.8 KB · Views: 162

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

Lee 240 gr FBRN with Harvester and 120 gr of Pdex Sel. Its 66/33 Pb/WW, the 44 cal 310 on the left is hard cast but needs a GC so it doesn't blow the sabot. Maybe next I'll try the 45 cal.

Why would you GC a bullet seated in a sabot ? That makes no sense whatsoever.

OnHoPr

Oct 20, 2013
    SE MI
    It would have been a Dual purpose bullet for a 44 mag. The 240 gr RN soft for trigger time in a 44 and MZL for hunting longer range. The Lee 310 gr for the 44 and hard cast with GC in a sabot for thick brushy woods shorter range (under a 100 yd) for when low light situations and the saplings start to disappear. The hard cast would hold its shape hitting, for example a sapling or low branch and keep on sight line a bit further. And for raking shots in those situations.

Nice buck, especially for the short smoke pole. I thought about one of those.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    It would have been a Dual purpose bullet for a 44 mag. The 240 gr RN soft for trigger time in a 44 and MZL for hunting longer range. The Lee 310 gr for the 44 and hard cast with GC in a sabot for thick brushy woods shorter range (under a 100 yd) for when low light situations and the saplings start to disappear. The hard cast would hold its shape hitting, for example a sapling or low branch and keep on sight line a bit further. And for raking shots in those situations.

Nice buck, especially for the short smoke pole. I thought about one of those.

I see. I also cast a .44 for my .44 mag reloads and also made some .44 cal ML bullets with .50 cal sabots, but, I got tired of having two different size sabots, so, I simply stayed with casting .45 for ML and just using those for .45 Colt reloads. I have weeded out a couple of my old molds and now just have .45 in 255 grain for the pistol and a couple of ,45 in 300, 310, and 340 grain for the ML rifles depending on the hunting situation I plan on being in decides which gun and which bullet I use. The 300 at 50+ yards is excellent and the .45-70 / 340 gr packs wallop at closer ranges in the stands.

Thanks for the reply on the Buck. It was the first hunt kill with the pistol and the pistol is worth every dime paid for it. I got this before the V2 came out in Camo, but, it doesn't matter they are both the same pistol at the end of the day. The V2 is not worth the extra money. The Optima pistol makes anything that Traditions has put out look like Toy Store Special. I've owned a few Traditions pistols and they are complete junk heaps.If you're serious about a big ML pistol... CVA Optima is the top shelf pistol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom