• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I decided I would install a Vortex Venom on my Glock 21 (assuming BPS ever ships me one). I bought a dovetail mount (for better or worse). The maker recommended a sight pusher, I have one so that's cool. I slid off the old rear sight. I slide in by hand the red dot mount and go to put it in the sight pusher. Now I see that the red dot mount is too wide. Ok - way to go Calico. I had to use other means to get that mount centered and it is a freaking miracle the slide did not get marked up.

If I ever want to get this thing off in the distant future, I'll need a more flixible sight pusher, what do guys recommend?

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Not sure if it would fit, but I have the Maryland Gun Works Pro sight pusher.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Last edited:

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    Don't shoot the messenger; this is just FYI: If you can't afford a sight pusher, consider using a hammer and flat punch. An LGS in my area holds annual Glock days. A Glock rep works in the back and installs Tritium night sights onto Glocks for around $70 a gun in parts, with free labor. I asked to watch, and he paused for a second but let me. He noted that the easiest and quickest way to change sights is with a little brass hammer and a flat faced punch, but added that some people cringe when they see how he does it. He then told me, "That's how they do it at the factory." He swapped a set in front of me in a few minutes, with zero damage to the sights or the gun.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Hmm - that is a nice rig.

[EDIT] I would say just eye balling it that it is wide enough. Good choice.

That’s the one. I felt it beneficial to be able to do other pistols as well and it does have some room around the slide. It ain’t cheap though but worth the money IMO.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I just installed an EGW mount for a Deltapoint Pro on my Springfield Range Officer using a gunsmith hammer with a nylon/delrin head. It was just a matter of taking it slow and once I got close I took measurements after each strike to make sure I got the mount as close to center as possible. I have sight pushers but none that would open enough to accommodate an inch wide mounting plate.
    Dave Dawson has an excellent video on how to install a rear sight that's worth watching if you haven't.
    I don't know what kind of mount you have but I can't imagine why simply tapping in into place wouldn't work with any of them.

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    Don't shoot the messenger; this is just FYI: If you can't afford a sight pusher, consider using a hammer and flat punch. An LGS in my area holds annual Glock days. A Glock rep works in the back and installs Tritium night sights onto Glocks for around $70 a gun in parts, with free labor. I asked to watch, and he paused for a second but let me. He noted that the easiest and quickest way to change sights is with a little brass hammer and a flat faced punch, but added that some people cringe when they see how he does it. He then told me, "That's how they do it at the factory." He swapped a set in front of me in a few minutes, with zero damage to the sights or the gun.

Whoa...my mind has been blown. My guess there would be an easy way to royally mess this up or difficult for a novice (like myself) too fine tune.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    If you want to push instead of drive a sight into the dovetail, try a c-clamp and pad it carefully. Some use multiple small clamps, but it can be done with only 1 if you set things up right for your slide. Glocks are very easy because the sides of the slide are flat. A couple of small blocks of wood may be helpful.

Adapt, improvise, and overcome.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I am starting to wonder if the EGW mount I got is supposed to work on the wider slide Glock 21. Might be less problematic on a more narrow 9mm slide.

[EDIT Nope - EGW says ok for G21]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom