• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Target then moved to 100 yds. Initial 3 shot group with slight adjustment of turrets. Then based final turret adjustment (12 click up and 4 right) off of the 3 shot group to shoot the following 7.

Next step is shoot the box, but overall I'm pretty happy with the results so far.

Attachments

• 06172018_308_vortex22.jpg
      06172018_308_vortex22.jpg
      62.6 KB · Views: 145

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Had the same problem with the FNAR. It turned out to be a broken ring. Didn't notice it but it was cracked in half! Still don't know how I did it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Outrider can attest. My last outting with my Sako Forester in .308 the first fa rounds shot in to a thimble group. The 3rd was 2 inches left. The 4th was another 2 inches left. The 5th was ANOTHER 2 inches left and on that one the scope smacked me in the eyebrow and I couldn’t get the bolt open.

Apparently I hadn’t gotten the front ring all the way tightened on the scope and the rear ring only holding the scope firmly, the base eventually came loose and allowed the whole scope to shift backwards enough to give me scope bite and block the bolt.

Took it all apart, tightened it down firmly and back to shoot sub 1” groups until it started getting really hot.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    3 things changed when you switched your ammo:

#1. Bullet Weight...

#2. The gunpowder manufacturer, charge weight & overall length of the cartridge...

#3. The speed of the bullet as it leaves the rifle barrel...

You're comparing apples & oranges...

Find an ammo you like & stick with it...

In my experience, you can't switch back & forth without rezeroing the scope...

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Update. Seems like the rings/scope were the problem. I'm trying to refine my technique as I'm now positive the rest of the rifle set up is working properly. All shots were prone with bipod (and bipod hop to the left).
    I aimed four at the center bullseye, first one was the flyer. Then one at each of the corner bullseyes. (200 yds)
    IMG_20181021_125720_resized_20181021_104719874.jpg

I did go back and test the hunting rounds: POI shifted 15 inches up and 9 inches left at 200 yds. The 8 rounds center bullseye rounds were Fed Match. Then one round of Fed Match at each corner bullseye. Then I tried the hunting rounds. I ended up aiming at the extreme bottom right of the white backing paper. The cluster of rounds center low on the target (and flyer) are from the hunting rounds.
    IMG_20181021_125626_resized_20181021_104719438.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom