• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chevy

Sep 6, 2010
    Didnt see a complete list so I search around for response emails and compiled this. Figured it'd help to know which Senators we need to light a fire under, which receive our future support and which will need to be replaced next election.

Please let me know if any are wrong and I'll update. Lets also get these "unknowns" replaced with "Opposes"...

Edit-Please only post if you've received responses clearly starting their stances. Any fence sitters will remain listed as unknown.

1 --- R ---- George C. Edwards Opposes
    2 --- R ---- Cristopher B. Shank Opposes
    3 --- D ---- Ronald N. Young Supports
    4 --- R ---- David R. Brinkley Opposes
    5 --- R ---- Joseph M. Getty Opposes
    6 --- D ---- Norman R. Stone, Jr Opposes
    7 --- R ---- J. B. Jennings Opposes
    8 --- D ---- Katherine A. Klausmeier Opposes
    9 --- R ---- Allan H. Kittleman Opposes
    10 -- D --- Delores G. Kelley Supports
    11 -- D --- Robert A. Zirkin Supports
    12 -- D --- Edward J. Kasemeyer Supports
    13 -- D --- James N. Robey Supports
    14 -- D --- Karen S. Montgomery Supports
    15 -- D --- Robert J. Garagiola Opposes
    16 -- D --- Brian E. Frosh Supports
    17 -- D --- Jennie M. Forehand Supports
    18 -- D --- Richard S. Madaleno, Jr Supports
    19 -- D --- Roger Manno Supports
    20 -- D --- Jamin B. Raskin Supports
    21 -- D --- James C. Rosapepe Supports
    22 -- D --- Paul G. Pinsky Supports
    23 -- D --- Douglas J. J. Peters Supports
    24 -- D --- Joanne C. Benson Supports
    25 -- D --- Ulysses Currie Supports
    26 -- D --- C. Anthony Muse Supports
    27 -- D --- Thomas V. Mike Miller, Jr Unknown
    28 -- D --- Thomas M. Middleton Opposes
    29 -- D --- Roy P. Dyson Opposes
    30 -- D --- John C. Astle Opposes
    31 -- R --- Bryan W. Simonaire Opposes
    32 -- D --- James E. DeGrange, Sr Opposes
    33 -- R --- Edward R. Reilly Opposes
    34 -- R --- Nancy Jacobs Opposes
    35 -- R --- Barry Glassman Opposes
    36 -- R --- Edward J. Pipkin Opposes
    37 -- R --- Richard F. Colburn Opposses
    38 -- D --- James N. Mathias, Jr Opposes
    39 -- D --- Nancy J. King Supports
    40 -- D --- Catherine E. Pugh Unknown
    41 -- D --- Lisa A. Gladden Supports
    42 -- D --- James Brochin Supports
    43 -- D --- Joan Carter Conway Supports
    44 -- D --- Verna L. Jones-Rodwell Unknown
    45 -- D --- Nathaniel J. McFadden Unknown
    46 -- D --- William C. Ferguson IV Supports
    47 -- D --- Victor R. Ramirez Supports

Support-23
    Opposes-20
    Unknown-4

Thanks to -Z/28-, '04 Cummins, ItsGarand, Streetgang, flying_pig, AngloSaxon, Huckleberry, oupa, casmith09, Bravo, 2AHokie and others

Last edited:

ItsGarand

-> TEUFELSBERG <-
    May 28, 2008
    Annapolis, MD
    From John Astle... Oppose

Thank you for contacting my office to express your opposition of SB 281/ HB294 Firearm Safety Act of 2013. I appreciate your taking the time to share your views on issues that are important to you and I wanted you to know that I am opposed to this legislation.

I believe there has been a marked behavioral shift in America towards violence, and I truly believe America needs to bring back the values of the past.

Today, America's youth are not engaged in the great outdoors; but, instead, are engaged in the great indoors behind closed doors with unfettered access to television, movies, music, video games and the internet.

Our cultural environment must change if we are to combat the behavioral shift towards violence. This would be a noble crusade for a conscientious change, not more gun control imposed on law abiding citizens who are simply exercising their constitutional rights.

If you would like to follow the status of this piece of legislation, I hope you will visit the General Assembly's website at http://mgaleg.maryland.gov. The site provides a wealth of useful information about the legislature, hearing schedules, briefings, and bill information.

I value your opinion and welcome any future comments on this or other matters of interest to you.

Sincerely, Senator John C. Astle

ENT Shooter

Aug 21, 2011
    Towson Maryland
    Yes, it appears that Brochin supports the bill (as written) despite claims otherwise. Awaiting a reply from his office on the reasons for his affirmative vote in committee and proposed vote on the floor (presumed yes).

Will try to swing by the Cockeysville meeting on Sunday and see whats up. Not sure if Brochin will be there.

Shaggy

Feb 8, 2013
    Westminster
    Senator Getty

I haven’t heard a definite no to SB281 from him, but will push him at the Westminster town hall
    on the 26th for a NO to all of us.

Below is his last email. Sorry if it's been posted before.

-------------------------------------------------------
    Senator Joe Getty
    Presentation at the 2013 Legislative Breakfast
    Sponsored by the Carroll County Republican Central Committee
    February 23, 2013
    Issues with Senate Bill 281 – Gov. O’Malley’s Gun Control Bill
    The February 6 hearing in the Judicial Proceedings Committee raised numerous problems that exist in the language of Senate Bill 281. This Administration bill proposed by Gov. Martin O'Malley would create new regulations on gun ownership in Maryland.
    An update on the bill status will be presented by Senators David Brinkley, Allan Kittleman and Joe Getty at a Town Hall Meeting on Tuesday, February 26 at 7:00 p.m. The meeting will take place in Carroll County at the Best Western Westminster Hotel, 451 Best Western Drive, Westminster, Maryland.
    If Senate Bill 281 is considered at voting sessions of the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee later this week, the bill will be before the full Senate some time after our Town Hall Meeting next week.
    The House of Delegates has a companion bill - House Bill 294 - which has a bill hearing scheduled for Friday, March 1.
    For your background information, I have included a summary of issues in the bill prepared by my friend Mark Pennak, who will offer a legal and technical analysis of Gov. O'Malley's bill at the Town Hall Meeting.
    Summary of Points Regarding SB 281
    1. The legislation accords only 30 days to register lawfully purchased and lawfully owned rifles (so-called “assault long guns”) and then imposes severe criminal penalties for any
    failure to timely register, even though the rifle may already be registered under existing state law.
    * No registration is permitted after 30 days and any continued unregistered possession after that time, regardless of reason or fault, automatically converts the citizen into a criminal who may be imprisoned for up to 3 years for mere possession.
    * The state penalties are sufficient to create a lifetime federal ban on possession of “any” modern firearm of any type. Knowing possession of any modern firearm after a state conviction for failure to register is a felony under federal law, punishable with a 10 year prison term.
    * Yet, according to the FBI, rifles of any type are the least-used weapon of any kind in homicides. In Maryland, in 2011, “hands and feet” were used in 8 times more deaths than rifles. The ban and registration requirements do nothing to protect our children from violence.
    * The so-called “assault long guns” are banned on the basis of cosmetic features and are simply semi-automatic rifles which are functionally indistinguishable from non-banned, semi-automatic rifles of the same caliber and same “lethality.”
    2. The licensing requirements imposed by the legislation are a precondition to and burden on any purchase of a handgun for self-defense in the home or elsewhere.
    * The burdens are unprecedented in American law, including as much as $385 in fees and costs, as well as a 8 hour training requirement and a 30-day wait to receive a license to purchase after all the requirements have been satisfied. Satisfying all these conditions and actually receiving a license from the chronically under-staffed State Police may take months in addition to the expense. These burdens are re-imposed every 5 years.
    * Under either strict or intermediate scrutiny, these burdens on the right to purchase and possess a handgun for self-defense are unconstitutional under the Second Amendment principles recognized by the Supreme Court in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008), and made applicable to and binding on all 50 States in McDonald v. City of Chicago, 130 S.Ct. 3020 (2010). Maryland may no longer regard gun ownership as a mere privilege subject to the whim and caprice of state politics. As Heller stated, “the enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.”
    * Because the licensing provisions heavily burden the ability of a responsible, law-abiding citizen to purchase a handgun for self-defense in the home, the provisions are subject to “strict scrutiny.” Under strict scrutiny, the provisions are not “narrowly tailored” to the State’s stated interest in controlling straw purchases. Even under “intermediate scrutiny,” the State has not made the requisite “strong showing” with real evidence that these provisions will significantly prevent additional straw purchases not otherwise deterred by existing federal and state law which already severely punishes straw purchasers with 10 year prison sentences and/or $25,000 fines.
    * These provisions improperly seek to limit illegal straw purchases by suppressing legitimate sales to law-abiding citizens. The State may not constitutionally impose heavy burdens on the exercise of a fundamental constitutional right simply to deter criminals.
    3. The ammunition provisions of the legislation expressly ban the possession of any ammunition of any type by any person younger than 21 who is not “under the supervision” of someone 21 or older.
    * Unsupervised possession of any ammunition by a person under 21 is made a crime punishable by imprisonment for up to one year or a fine not exceeding $1000 or both.
    * Even though persons 18-20 may legally buy and possess long guns and may legally purchase ammunition for long guns, under this legislation, they become criminals the moment they come into unsupervised possession of ammunition for the very guns they may legally buy and own.
    * Under this legislation, minors who have earned the State hunter safety certificate may not possess any ammunition, even though existing state law allows such minors to hunt independently of adult supervision.
    * The ammunition provisions thus effectively ban unsupervised hunting by all persons under 21 and unconstitutionally disarm law-abiding persons who are legally entitled to purchase, own and possess firearms.

Chevy

Sep 6, 2010
    35 Glassman opposes...

From John Astle... Oppose

Thank you for contacting my office to express your opposition of SB 281/ HB294 Firearm Safety Act of 2013. I appreciate your taking the time to share your views on issues that are important to you and I wanted you to know that I am opposed to this legislation.

I believe there has been a marked behavioral shift in America towards violence, and I truly believe America needs to bring back the values of the past.

Today, America's youth are not engaged in the great outdoors; but, instead, are engaged in the great indoors behind closed doors with unfettered access to television, movies, music, video games and the internet.

Our cultural environment must change if we are to combat the behavioral shift towards violence. This would be a noble crusade for a conscientious change, not more gun control imposed on law abiding citizens who are simply exercising their constitutional rights.

If you would like to follow the status of this piece of legislation, I hope you will visit the General Assembly's website at http://mgaleg.maryland.gov. The site provides a wealth of useful information about the legislature, hearing schedules, briefings, and bill information.

I value your opinion and welcome any future comments on this or other matters of interest to you.

Sincerely, Senator John C. Astle

Updated :thumbsup:

ENT Shooter

Aug 21, 2011
    Towson Maryland
    No registration is permitted after 30 days and any continued unregistered possession after that time, regardless of reason or fault, automatically converts the citizen into a criminal who may be imprisoned for up to 3 years for mere possession.
    This is concerning. 30 days to get everything registered. Kind of like the NFA. It rapidly becomes too late to register. Then you are stuck with orphaned firearms. Not good at all.
    Does anyone have an idea if it would be legally possible to sell any non-registered banned firearms out of state at a later date?

44 Bulldog

Oct 25, 2012
    Dunkirk-Calvert County
    I'm pretty sure Mac Middleton and Mike Miller is going to be opposed as well. We really need to call,email.......... Miller as he is the Senate President, I'm sure his vote is going to have a lot of influence on the other Senators

Shaggy

Feb 8, 2013
    Westminster
    This is concerning. 30 days to get everything registered. Kind of like the NFA. It rapidly becomes too late to register. Then you are stuck with orphaned firearms. Not good at all.
    Does anyone have an idea if it would be legally possible to sell any non-registered banned firearms out of state at a later date?

I they run it like California did, then no. You would be required to turn it in.
    I'm still waiting to see what the bill looks like after lastnight.

My brother in KY might be getting a nice Christmas present because he
    lives in a real "Free State".:mad:

flying_pig

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2013
    I'm pretty sure Mac Middleton and Mike Miller is going to be opposed as well. We really need to call,email.......... Miller as he is the Senate President, I'm sure his vote is going to have a lot of influence on the other Senators

I have been looking into the Middleton stance and have learned that he is 100% opposed. Told a large shooting club (Saint Charles) he was opposed in a hall they own which was named after his father. Pretty safe I think.

Based on his vote last night, I would say that Muse is for the bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom