• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I bid on a Colt Trooper last week. After I bid on her, I noticed that the shop selling her is Nova Firearms. I buzzed by last week to take a look. I was glad I bid on her. The box indicated a 1965 build. Well, the auction ended today and I won, $500. I stopped at the shop on the way home and picked her up. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/589334311

Did some dry firing with snap caps. The trigger is more like my 1970 Cobra versus the trigger on my Trooper MK III. Single action is sweet, double action is very smooth. This Trooper does not have an ejector rod housing, unlike the MK III. I'll be testing out the Trooper and the Cobra on Friday. I'm going to enjoy this. Pics up tomorrow.

Last edited:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    If Colt was still doing refinishes, I'd consider it. But they're not supporting their old double-action revolvers anymore. Which is a shame.

It is a shame. In their day, they'd polish those revolvers like a mirror. You could probably shave in them before they ever hit the bluing tank. That sort of prep work really showed in the finished product.

Good luck with your new addition!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    When I walked in, I told them I won the Colt revolver on Gunbroker, and it should be in an original Colt box. The employee went looking for it. He pulled out a Python, in its original box, and asked if that was what I won :lol: In a fit of honesty, I said no, I'm not that rich. Once they found the actual Trooper I won, we got down to the paperwork. They have a weird tablet application that scanned my DL and filled out most of the federal sheet. I finished up with that and did the state sheet. The guy asked how much I had bid on the Trooper, which is odd. If I had said yes to the Python, and my bid was $500, would I have walked out with the Python for $500? :innocent0 Anyway, I had to put the revolver and box in my backpack to take it home. The revolver is in a gun rug right now, the box is in a bin with the other handgun boxen.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I bid on a Colt Trooper last week. After I bid on her, I noticed that the shop selling her is Nova Firearms. I buzzed by last week to take a look. I was glad I bid on her. The box indicated a 1965 build. Well, the auction ended today and I won, $500. I stopped at the shop on the way home and picked her up. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/589334311

Did some dry firing with snap caps. The trigger is more like my 1970 Cobra versus the trigger on my Trooper MK III. Single action is sweet, double action is very smooth. This Trooper does not have an ejector rod housing, unlike the MK III. I'll be testing out the Trooper and the Cobra on Friday. I'm going to enjoy this. Pics up tomorrow.

That's a beauty - I would not re-finish it.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Now if I could just find a holster for it. The grips are super slick, which is not very confidence inducing. They're Pachmyer Presentation grips, and not original to the firearm. I'm looking at getting original Colt target grips, but they're not exactly cheap now. A guy on the Colt forum has a set of Pachmyers with the gold Colt medallions in them, so I'm thinking of picking them up instead.

One other thing, I need a holster. I have a Safariland holster that I got for a Ruger GP-100 I owned a while back. The Model 10 I picked up fits fine, but this Trooper doesn't go in far enough to cover the trigger guard. Odd.

Last edited:

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Pardon the ignorant question Jim: how did you pick up the Colt from a dealer in Virginia?
    The GB listing doesn't mention C&R. Thanks

Even if he were an MD resident with an FFL03, he could go pick it up. It is C&R by virtue of age, doesn't need to be on the ATF list.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    Nice revolver and a bargain for the price. You walked out of the shop with a gun worth a lot more than you paid for it. A refinish will destroy it's real value. Enjoy it.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I was unable to get to the range last night, so I shot it at a match this morning. I was stinking up the joint until the forth stage, where I hit all Alphas. I really need to change the grips. After the match, I rented a lane to test it out with the new to me Cobra and Model 10. Recoil is brisk with full house 158gr JSPs. The .38 Special rounds were pleasant to shoot. It's definitely shooting higher with the heavier bullet weights. I will be picking up more 125gr SJHPs for this one ($$$$). The Model 10 worked out fine with all bullet weights. The Cobra was fine with my competition 125gr ammunition, but it wasn't pleasant with the 130gr and 158gr ammunition I had on hand. It was accurate enough with all of them for the purpose I got it.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Found 2 nice Colts at Big Dogs yesterday. 1 is a 1926 Officer Model 38 2nd gen with a rare 7 1/2 inch barrel. The 2nd is I believe ( need to pick it up next pay day so it's not with me) a gen 3 Officer Model .22 with a 6 inch barrel. Both in about 85 to 90% condition from the same owner. They they lock up tight and are beautiful ! !

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom