• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    But I love it! I snagged a lightly used 14" front end off a 590a1 SBS that was parted out on the ARFCOM EE for cheap. Then Classic put their PGO Mossberg 500 (50588) Cruisers on sale and it seemed like a good reason to get one and build one of these non-NFA firearms with the shockwave raptor grip. Cool gun, and after I sell the 20" front end that came with the PGO I won't have much money in it.

At the end of the day though, it's not much shorter than my 18" PG. Still a fun project!

8B6AA2DA-12A4-475D-8851-EB57C7CE81AB_zpsjnhinlk5.jpg
    </a>" />

F4BA3728-431A-4F7B-82B2-920D6082D2FD_zpsgrdytzqn.jpg
    </a>" />

EA0A818C-3A29-4760-B14F-E4F64FA2C864_zpsdektp0xe.jpg
    </a>" />

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    This is legal under ATF rules. It's over 26" so it's not an AOW. It's not a shotgun because it never had a stock.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I'm confused.
    It looks like you have a picture of the complete cruiser and the complete franken gun. I thought you used the cruiser lower to complete the shorty upper?

I like all of them!

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    You spelled "awesome" wrong. These little things are fantastic! Ok, recoil and blast are fierce, but you get used to it. I ordered some reduced recoil buckshot to see if that might help.

And while it may be an unknown item to a lot of folks, they are MD legal, and you don't even have to build your own. Scott's Gunsmithing sells their Urban Broom which is Remington-based. Or call Mossberg and order the entire front-end as individual parts. Just make sure you start with a factory pistol-grip only (PGO) gun, and use the bird's head grip to get it to 26" overall length.

As for usefulness, the overall idea started as the Witness Protection (or Witness Security) shotgun; aka WitSec or WitPro. Lots of trouble up close in a small package. Not a bad choice for in-house distances.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I'm confused.
    It looks like you have a picture of the complete cruiser and the complete franken gun. I thought you used the cruiser lower to complete the shorty upper?

I like all of them!

Sounds to me like he had one already, and bought another for this project.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I'm confused.

I like all of them!

Sorry, top pic is the PGO host gun in original configuration shown next to the 14" front end that will shortly be installed on it. Middle pic is new firearm shown along side 18" PG cruiser for size comparison. Last pic is new firearm by itself.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I like that matte finish better than the shiney one. Finished product is awsome.
    Hockey tape, yes or no?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Still don't understand how any form of shotgun with a barrel less than 18" can be non-NFA, unless it has some form of rifling.

My understanding is that smoothbore pistols are NFA.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    The process starts with a firearm that begins life as a pistol grip shotgun, or a shotgun receiver, bought on a 4473 (cash & carry).

With no stock it is not a "shouldered shotgun" subject to long gun rules. It is an "other" that--as long as it reaches 26 inches overall--is a legal firearm.

In the beginning Scott's Firearms offered them as firearms that you legally "manufacture" yourself. Now they sell them.

Here is the original thread to track the development and explain this legal set-up.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=147333&highlight=urban+broom

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom