• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    OK I have come to the conclusion that I am just going to take the training class. After reading the replies it seems to be the best solution.

Now as for the class 2 questions?

1.If I have submitted the application due to my impatient nature can I add the training cert to the app?

2.If I can add need to find the first available class? Anybody know of one close to Annapolis MD. Looking for a weeknight Tues-Friday or early Saturday?

If you started a Training Exempt application, you'll have to create an HQL Standard application in the same website, then add your instructor's number to the application, then submit it.

We're teaching an HQL class Monday from 5-9 pm in Halethorpe, exit 9 right off the beltway if that helps.

When did you have your fingerprints done? You have to submit your application within 30 days of having them done.

DubTap21

Jan 27, 2013
    Silver Spring
    I will not comment as to whether or not what you have qualifies, but here is an expert from the HQL page on the MSP web site in case you've not seen it.

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

Required to have the HQL, but exempt from the training component

Someone who completed a firearms safety training course approved by the Secretary of the Department of Maryland State Police.
    Has completed a course of instruction in the competency and safety of firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland. Application for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Course Certificate can be obtained from here and may be used in lieu of Qualified Handgun Instruction.
    Is currently a qualified handgun instructor.
    Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.
    Is an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP.
    ​​Lawfully owns a regulated firearm, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.
    In accordance with the Firearm Safety Act of 2013, individuals who are voluntarily admitted to an inpatient psychiatric facility (either state, private or acute general), for a period of 30 consecutive days or more, or involuntarily certified and retained by an Administrative Law Judge may have to surrender their firearms and will be prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm unless an individual is granted relief from firearm disqualification. DHMH makes available to persons who are prohibited from possessing certain firearms a process to apply for relief from these prohibitions.
    I didn't know that veterans were exempt. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    I didn't know that veterans were exempt. Thanks

The key words are "honorably discharged". I found out this past week from a guy that an "other than honorable" discharge does not qualify. His HQL application was denied for that reason and has to take the training class.

DubTap21

Jan 27, 2013
    Silver Spring
    The key words are "honorably discharged". I found out this past week from a guy that an "other than honorable" discharge does not qualify. His HQL application was denied for that reason and has to take the training class.
    I caught that, and I'm in the "honorable" category! Thanks.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Just finished the online Texas hunter safety course and saved the completion cert. how do I add to the submitted HQL Application. Had the fingerprints done on 10/13 and submitted application on 10/14.

One of the pages you can add training exempt documents. You can upload it there.

Caladain

Nov 17, 2011
    Texas works.

My HQL was approved. I uploaded two documents, one being the PDF temporary card that was emailed, and a second that was a text file that contained the following (filled out) which I got from https://www.reddit.com/r/MDGuns/comments/347mri/hql_hunters_safety_course_exemption/

Maryland State Police Licensing Division, HQL Unit 1111 Reisterstown Road Pikesville, MD 21208
    Re: HQL Training Exemption [Applicant's Name]
    To Whom It May Concern:
    MD PUBLIC SAFETY § 5-117.1(e) provides that: An applicant for a handgun qualification license is not required to complete a firearms safety training course under subsection (d) of this section if the applicant: (2) has completed a course of instruction in competency and safety in the handling of firearms prescribed by the Department of Natural Resources under § 10-301.1 of the Natural Resources Article.
    Md. Nat. Res. Code Ann. § 10-301.1(c)(3) further provides that: Any similar certificate, or hunting license, issued outside the State by a governmental agency, shall be accepted as complying with the requirements of paragraph (1) of this subsection, if the privileges are reciprocal for Maryland residents.
    I have furnished proof of completion of a Hunter’s Safety Course offered by and accepted by the State of Texas, which reciprocally accepts Maryland’s Hunter Education course. Such proof is sufficient to exempt myself from the Handgun Qualification License training requirement. If you have any questions, I may be reached by email at [Applicant email] or by telephone at [applicant phone number].
    Thank you,
    [applicant name]

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Make sure you go thru the app as training exempt. Once you go that way, you will be able to up load the document. Make sure you are using Explorer. Other browsers tend not to work properly.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Honorably discharged is "Honorable Discharge" or "General Discharge."

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Not quite. There are more than one type of General Discharge. I know 2 guys who got GD. One General and the other GD under less than honorable conditions.

It screwed up his job prospects for life.

Attachments

• discharge.JPG
      discharge.JPG
      147.8 KB · Views: 599
    Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Not quite. There are more than one type of General Discharge. I know 2 guys who got GD. One General and the other GD under less than honorable conditions.

It screwed up his job prospects for life.

No, read what you posted.

There are two types of ADMINISTRATIVE discharges. A GENERAL discharge and an UNDER LESS THAN HONORABLE CONDITIONS.

A General discharge is considered Under Honorable Conditions.

An Under Less Than Honorable Conditions is NOT.

You can petition to have your discharge upgraded, depending on circumstances. In the early 80s, with changes, those with Non-Honorable discharges for minor drug possession and homosexuality could petition to have their discharges upgraded to General discharges.

But, when you screw with the military, you have to be careful. Your new discharge would state "General Discharge - Drus Possession" or "General Discharge - Homosexual."

:D

md_06unltd

Oct 26, 2016
    Sugarloaf
    I applied as Exempt two weeks ago using my DNR Hunter Safety course. I selected it from the appropriate drop-downs but all it asked me for was the date of completion. I didn't ask me to upload a copy of the card itself.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Aren't there schools around (in the DC area?) where you can do the course and the prints and forms all in one basket? I am exempt on two or three counts but would like to see the course. Besides, a little refresher on the basics never hurts.

09jackpot

Oct 18, 2016
    There should be a page that allows you to upload documents and add them to your application. I would add it there.

Texas Hunting Certificate worked fine. Could not upload so I called and MSP told me to email certificate. HQL Went active on 11/3. STILL WAITING.

Is there a schedule to send out cards? Do the send on a particular day? Or do they send as they become active?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom