• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I tried 7 different powders and loads in my Glock. It loved Accurate #7. It also shot well with N-105 and Titegroup. I didn't like blue dot at all. Power pistol I didn't have during testing so I cant say on that one. Should do well I would think. I was shooting Hornady 180 XTP and CCI primers
    Ken

Thanks Ken, I'll make a note of your info.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I tried 7 different powders and loads in my Glock. It loved Accurate #7. It also shot well with N-105 and Titegroup. I didn't like blue dot at all. Power pistol I didn't have during testing so I cant say on that one. Should do well I would think. I was shooting Hornady 180 XTP and CCI primers
    Ken

Tried a bunch too, same experiences with #7, supremely accurate(#9 isn't bad either, but higher velocities) Not a fan of blue dot either, despite many recipes calling for a standard or unspecified primer, it really needs magnums, or it lights like crap, have had 44mag loads with it(load called for CCI 300 LPP) that were terrible, stopped using it after a near squibs that barely made it to the target as unburned powder dumped out of the barrel, worked OK with magnums, but still mediocre accuracy and velocity. Power pistol IMO is "Magnum Bullseye" meters the same, works in everything, accurate, and seems like everyone has loads for it, and most shops stocks the powder. I've had great luck with CFE pistol, fast becoming my favorite mid-range powder, really accurate, meters well, and does burn clean. Longshot was awesome, great velocities, fills the case, but I don't really use it for anything else. HS-6 should be good, but just doesn't meter well for me, and while accuracy was acceptable, velocities were good, it had a huge velocity spread on my chrono. 231 works, but 10mm isn't it's specialty, and published data velocities are anemic. Been wanting to try BE-86, looks like a good powder for a lot of calibers I shoot, and the closest gun shop primarily stocks Alliant, have to go across town for Hodgdon or Western.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    ^^^ Check for bullet jump after firing each round in the revolver. My best loads started going down hill on the chrono even with the heavy crimp I was using. Turned out to be work hardened many times fired brass.

I have had the opposite results with Blue Dot, at least in 44 and 357 Magnum. Even used a healthy dose for a comped 45 1911 I was playing with. My experience is it has been consistently accurate. Some of my most accurate loads are Blue Dot loads...using both standard and magnum primers, low ES and MAD (some single digit). My single favorite magnum class 44 Magnum load is a Blue Dot load. I actually prefer standard primers for Blue Dot. These are full magnum loads but not 'on the edge', Blue Dot doesn't like that range. On the negative it doesn't play well with lead bullets. Also one can't push it hard or it gets hairy and burns hot..forcing cone eroder. When I build the 10 I intend to try it, but from what I've read here I may have to go another route.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Ken

I've never used Blue Dot in 10 mm, but I burned about a ton of it in .44 magnum. Blue Dot was designed as a magnum shot shell powder, but also has pistol applications as we know, but that being said, in my experience BD can get pretty "squirrelly" with pressure spikes as you begin to approach maximum loads, so I would urge anyone who wants to try it in 10 mm to be very cautious as you begin to get in to the upper limits of charge weight, 10 mm is a relatively small volume case, and like the .40 S&W, pressures can quickly jump up with just a few tenths of a grain increase in charge weight when you're approaching max loads.

Power Pistol is a fine choice for 10 mm, but some people complain that it's "flashy" ie. produces a lot of muzzle flash. I've noticed that as well to some extent, but I don't find it distracting, and if you work up a good load you can get fine accuracy out of Power Pistol in both 10 mm and .40 S&W, at least that has been my experience. In addition, I have found PP to be very clean burning.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I've never used Blue Dot in 10 mm, but I burned about a ton of it in .44 magnum. Blue Dot was designed as a magnum shot shell powder, but also has pistol applications as we know, but that being said, in my experience BD can get pretty "squirrelly" with pressure spikes as you begin to approach maximum loads, so I would urge anyone who wants to try it in 10 mm to be very cautious as you begin to get in to the upper limits of charge weight, 10 mm is a relatively small volume case, and like the .40 S&W, pressures can quickly jump up with just a few tenths of a grain increase in charge weight when you're approaching max loads.

Power Pistol is a fine choice for 10 mm, but some people complain that it's "flashy" ie. produces a lot of muzzle flash. I've noticed that as well to some extent, but I don't find it distracting, and if you work up a good load you can get fine accuracy out of Power Pistol in both 10 mm and .40 S&W, at least that has been my experience. In addition, I have found PP to be very clean burning.

There is a healthy flash with PP in 10, but it's not terrible, now for whatever reason with a comp it is way worse, think like some powders it mixes with air and makes a bigger fireball, it's kinda ridiculous in my 460 Rowland.

G20 180XTP over 9gr PP, a little after dusk(testing out night sights) so looks worse than it is.
    flash 10mm.jpg

1911 in 460 Rowland, 12gr PP under a 230gr XTP, during the day, looks every bit as bad as the pic shows
    flash Rowland.jpg

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I've acquired a pound of Bluedot and some Berrys 180 flat points, privi 180 JHP's, and some Armscor 180 FMJ's.
    Since there's no real load data for any of the listed bullets I figure to use data from Hornady for the jacketed stuff.
    I'm a little hesitant to run the plated bullets with the Bluedot, but the Lee book lists some W231 data for cast bullets so I might settle in there for the plated stuff, or should I keep with the Bluedot and just stay below 1100FPS?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    It seems that most of my scouring the web for data seems to be leading me to around 10 grains for the jacketed stuff for around 1200fps.
    Hornadys data showing starting loads of 7.5 grains for around 950fps, this might be where the plated stuff gets started at with the Bluedot.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    My Lee 2nd edition shows 180 gr plated with these loads:
    Accurate #7 start 9.9 @ 1051 fps max 11.0 gr @ 1195 fps
    Accurate #9 start 12.1 gr @ 1086 fps, max 13.5 gr @ 1235 fps

It doesnt show blue dot with plated bullets

It shows a 180 XTP with blue dot as follows:
    9.7 gr @ 1155 and max 11.0 gr Compressed @ 1295 fps

I'd guess that load came from Hornady's manual

The other loads with 180 gr jacketed do not show bd at all

Hope it helps,
    Ken

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County

Hope it helps,
    Ken

Yeah, I've got both those manuals and that's why I referenced the W231 for the plated stuff since the Lee book shows loads for jacketed and W231.
    Several different books are showing loads for jacketed and most seem to intersect in their respective data in the 10 grain area in the +/-1200 FPS range.
    Im not really worried about the jacketed stuff, I'm more concerned with rolling to fast and scrubbing the plating off in the barrel leaving behind an unwanted mess.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County

Hope it helps,
    Ken

My first post to your quote I put the wron info but it correct info for what it states.i meant to add this but I'll let the other post where it is.:o
    The Lyman cast bullet handbook 4th edition lists several powders for an RCBS molded 180 grain cast including both Bluedot and W231. Since it seems from what I've heard you should load plated like you would cast my reasons for referencing the Lyman data for the plated pills. All this data starts to run together after awhile. :D Test barrel was a universal receiver with a 5 inch barrel
    +=compressed load

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      71.6 KB · Views: 368

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    Makes sense. Sorry for any confusion. My current manuals do show data for 175 gr cast bullets but not 180. Wish I had saved my older manuals. I've had quite a few over 42 years of reloading. I'll start keeping them

Ken

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Makes sense. Sorry for any confusion. My current manuals do show data for 175 gr cast bullets but not 180. Wish I had saved my older manuals. I've had quite a few over 42 years of reloading. I'll start keeping them

Ken

No confusion from you for sure, it's all these manuals with different starting and max loads, I can see a little difference but when starting loads vary by as much a 1.5 grains for jacketed stuff it's kind of intimidating to an extent.
    Also a perfect example of confusion, at least to me, in the picture below the #7, #9, and the Bluedot listed for the XTP but only #7 and #9 listed for the plated with the starting loads being soooooo close, makes a person think that the Bluedot would be fine for the plated as long as you lowered its starting charge by the same percentage.
    I've got a few days until my firearm gets paroled from Maryland handgun jail so I'll be smoking my brain cells until then.:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      65.9 KB · Views: 127

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    My barrel showed up today, loaded up some test rounds with Bluedot and W231 powders and Berrys plated RNFP's and some Privi JHP 180's. Passed the plunk test, now to wait on my Glocks parole date of the 29th, ticktock ticktock.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      66 KB · Views: 116

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    There is a healthy flash with PP in 10, but it's not terrible, now for whatever reason with a comp it is way worse, think like some powders it mixes with air and makes a bigger fireball, it's kinda ridiculous in my 460 Rowland."

I see you like the 460 Rowland. I have thought of it over the 10mm but didn't care for the comp. Is it worth the fuss in a 1911 or are the magnum revolvers more practical for the application? I thought of doing the 460 thing but could never quite try it out.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    My barrel showed up today, loaded up some test rounds with Bluedot and W231 powders and Berrys plated RNFP's and some Privi JHP 180's. Passed the plunk test, now to wait on my Glocks parole date of the 29th, ticktock ticktock.

A hammer, some glue, and a really short nail could speed things up. :D

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Ok I finally picked up my new toy after it was paroled yesterday, and I got it to the range this morning with some of the other Hooligans. While I was waiting for my new firearm to serve its jail sentence I had loaded up some test rounds and I'll go thru them in this and the next post. All shots this morning were from a rest @13 yards +/- a foot or two.:)
    First up were some Privi 180 grain hollow points, seated to an OAL of 1.25" in new Armscor brass, Winchester large pistol primers, powder used was Bluedot. 5 rounds each of 9.2, 9.4, 9.6, 9.8, 10.0, and 10.2 grains, all groups were not bad but I liked the 9.8, 10, and 10.2 the best, except for the one flier on the 10.0
    No pressure signs from any of these loads, I wasn't really expecting any but I'm always looking.
    The picture from the left 9.8, 10.2, and 10.0

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      94.4 KB · Views: 85

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Next up was Berrys 180 grain Plated RNFP seated to 1.25" OAL, Armscor new brass, Winchester large pistol primers over W231 powder.
    5 shot groups @ 5.2, 5.4, and 5.6 grains no signs of pressure and very mild recoil but cycled the action perfectly
    5.4 seemed to give the best groups.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      80.5 KB · Views: 83

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Working up a load that your gun likes and is accurate is half the fun of reloading, at least it is to me. Looks like you are well on the way to 10mm nirvana...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom