• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Under the present circumstances, it would seem to hinge on the definition of "Transfer", and whether lending to someone would be so considered.

I confess I cannot answer that question.

Further, if the pistol in question was long in the possession of the OP, it would be difficult, IMO, to consider it a straw purchase.

Is there any validity to my points above?

It will not be a transfer. See Chow v. State of Maryland attached hereto.

You really need to look at the statute and see how it reads. Off the top of my head, I cannot remember if "receive" is part of it, and how "receive" would be interpreted. As already mentioned, the safest thing might be to help him get his HQL and then let him borrow the handgun. In the alternative, just loan him a long gun that is not an "assault weapon".

Attachments

• Chow v. State, 393 Md. 431, 903 .pdf
      177.8 KB · Views: 78

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD
    Maybe I've missed it somewhere but does the source of who pays for the firearm make a difference? I was under the impression that firearms can be gifted. Not the case here I realize but what distinguishes a straw purchase from a gift?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Maybe I've missed it somewhere but does the source of who pays for the firearm make a difference? I was under the impression that firearms can be gifted. Not the case here I realize but what distinguishes a straw purchase from a gift?

Gift paperwork. There's a form for that.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I'm not a lawyer, I try to use common sense in a state that has no common sense.

BUT

Let's say , GOD forbid, he has to use it.

Question to him, "is it yours"

"No it was given to me, my brother bought it for me to protect myself and family"

Isn't that where troubles begins?

Real lawyer types wanna give a non binding opinion?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

Intent is what distinguishes a gift from a straw purchase. Then, in Maryland if the gift is of a handgun, the transaction needs to be done through a FFL or at the MSP barracks because a Form 77r (I believe that is the form that needs to be completed) needs to be completed.

If the gift is of a new firearm, the easiest thing is for the giftor to gift cash to the giftee and allow the giftee to buy the firearm and complete the paperwork in their own name. Of course, that isn't always the case, like when somebody is gifting grandpa's shotgun to their child.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I'm not a lawyer, I try to use common sense in a state that has no common sense.

BUT

"No it was given to me, my brother bought it for me to protect myself and family"

The trouble begins once the answer to any question beyond 'what's your name' and 'do you live here' is anything different from 'I am not making any statement at this time'.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

BUT

By the way, this isn't a state issue, this is a country issue. Read through Abramski. The gist of the facts are that an uncle gave money to his nephew, to buy a handgun for the uncle at a reduced price that only the nephew could get. The nephew answered the "gift" question on Form 4473 inappropriately because to answer that the gun was for another person would have prevented him from buying the gun and to answer that it was a gift for his uncle would not have been truthful either. Neither the uncle nor the nephew were prohibited from owning firearms. The Supreme Court of the United State of America determined that the nephew had done a straw purchase. It amazes me how courts struggle to get to the tortured results that they do, yet in this case where we have two good people just trying to get a gun at a reduced price for a relative, the Supreme Court of the United States of America cannot find a way to not make the nephew a felon.

The entire country is losing its common sense.

Edit to add: Maryland, New York, New Jersey, and California are just leading the pack on this loss of common sense.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

A gift is a gift.

A straw purchase is where the person who ends up obtaining the firearm is either prohibited or is attempted to conceal their purchase (no NICS on them).

Yes, who funds the purchase plays a big part. Someone gives you money to purchase a firearm for them, that is definitely a straw purchase.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

BUT

Which is why the answer should be, no, my brother lent it to me to protect myself and my family.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    A straw purchase is where the person who ends up obtaining the firearm is either prohibited or is attempted to conceal their purchase (no NICS on them).

According to the Abramski decision, there is no requirement for the eventual recipient to be prohibited. It is the purchasing the firearm for someone else yet marking 'are you the recipient' that makes it a straw purchase.

Yes, it's stupid. And Obamacare is a tax.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Bender,

PLEASE don't think I am judging you, or your family, I just don't trust the legal system as it applies to firearms in MD. I don't want to see you or your family in trouble for doing the "right" thing when thugs somehow get off Everytime.

I would love every thug to think they will get lead poisoning in 230grain doses when they attempt to harm innocent folks who just want to live out their lives, but in MD they know they have the upper hand.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    By the way, this isn't a state issue, this is a country issue. Read through Abramski. The gist of the facts are that an uncle gave money to his nephew, to buy a handgun for the uncle at a reduced price that only the nephew could get. The nephew answered the "gift" question on Form 4473 inappropriately because to answer that the gun was for another person would have prevented him from buying the gun and to answer that it was a gift for his uncle would not have been truthful either. Neither the uncle nor the nephew were prohibited from owning firearms. The Supreme Court of the United State of America determined that the nephew had done a straw purchase. It amazes me how courts struggle to get to the tortured results that they do, yet in this case where we have two good people just trying to get a gun at a reduced price for a relative, the Supreme Court of the United States of America cannot find a way to not make the nephew a felon.

The entire country is losing its common sense.

Edit to add: Maryland, New York, New Jersey, and California are just leading the pack on this loss of common sense.

I think the same result would obtain under state law, which (unlike federal law) expressly criminalizes straw purchases. A purchaser identity lie on form 4473 sufficient to support a conviction under Section 922(a)(6) will be fully sufficient as a basis for conviction under state law too. And yes, both the State and the federal government could separately try and convict the straw purchaser and impose jail time.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Because I find this conversation interesting in a scholarly way...

Could the OP "RENT" the handgun to his brother for a dollar? Prepare a written rental agreement that defines ownership has not transferred, the receiving brother certifies he is not a prohibited person, the rental will continue until the receiving brother has sufficient financial means to purchase his own firearm, and the receiving brother will maintain the firearm for home defense in a MD legal way, not removing it from the residence for any reason.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    that may be problematic based on the term receive in the HQL statute.

MD 5-117.1

Attachments

• hql.jpg
      hql.jpg
      54.1 KB · Views: 98

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    'Rent' in the sense of taking home fro a store to use requires an HQL. Rentals at a range are not included (iirc there is an AG opinion on it).

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    'Rent' in the sense of taking home fro a store to use requires an HQL. Rentals at a range are not included (iirc there is an AG opinion on it).

OK, since I have never rented a firearm, I guess I read too much into it.

BUT,

What is "receiving"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom