• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    CCW badges are a dumb idea, as is wearing your permit on a neck lanyard, etc.

The purpose of those who would wear a CCW badge is to convey the authority of a police officer.

Impersonating a police officer is a crime in every jurisdiction that I am aware of.

Not only that, but in the case of an otherwise unavoidable self defense shooting, your efforts are better spent positioning yourself behind cover, where you can see LEO's approaching, watching the threat(s), scanning for other threats, calling police/ambulance, managing the scene, and dropping or holstering your gun as, or before police approach.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    CCW badges are a dumb idea to start with because "concealed" means concealed. If you wear a badge, you may as well open carry.

As for a citizens arrest of a robbery suspect (citizen CCW badge or no badge), I think its a humongously bad idea for about 357 different reasons. Its not like you can shoot them in the back if they run.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Screw that badge. What does one say when "going into action"? Concealed carrier here!

I tell concealed carriers not to look for trouble. But if you're forced by circumstances to use your sidearm in defense of others, say, "I'm here to help."
    When LE arrives, presuming the threat has been neutralized or is no longer in the immediate area, put down the sidearm and follow LE's orders.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Bad idea

Pulling a weapon and not foring. Bad idea. Never pull unless you absolutely need to. When you do fire. Hesitation is bad

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    Pulling a weapon and not foring. Bad idea. Never pull unless you absolutely need to. When you do fire. Hesitation is bad

Stories like this come to mind...a lot of defensive gun uses, thankfully, do not result in injury or loss of life.

In fact, the anti-gun movement often peddles cherry-picked statistic on the 'low number' of defensive gun uses by only referencing those incidents resulting in loss of life.

My college statistics professor was fond of saying "There are lies, damned lies, and then there's statistics."

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Don't pull , unless the situation potentially requires shooting, and you are prepared to shoot if and when called for .

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    These badges should be illegal because anytime anyone, other than an actual LEO, shows any kind of badge they are trying to give the illusion that they are in some form a LEO ......period!

Not to mention that they just scream, DORK!!!!!

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    3-South-Park-Officer-Cartman-Respect-My-Authority-Uniform-TV-Movie-Series-Embroidered-IRON-ON-and.jpg_640x640.jpg

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Early October an armed robber in North Carolina entered a mom & pop store to rob it and was confronted by a legally armed customer that holds a CCW license. No shots fired, but the CCW holder had one of those CCW badges and displayed it clipping it on his belt holding the assailant at gunpoint until police showed up. He announced to the other customers he was legally armed and then put the badge on his hip. Police came in and apparently were cool with it, since he never pretended to impersonate a law enforcement officer, and they were able to identify him as the good guy with a gun...
    When interviewed by the police he said that he has had his CCW badge since he started carrying, and hoped he never had to use either the gun or the badge. They were always concealed and no one (except some in his family and some friends) knew he carried... until the day he had to use both...

Thoughts? Good idea to have one those badges in Maryland for a situation like this?

So would one wear the visible badge while open carrying or carrying concealed? Why draw attention to the fact you are carrying. Almost as dumb as the rail mounted "bayonet" for a handgun.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The laws in the various jurisdictions vary widely on that. ( In local context , Md and Va are almost polar opposites .)

But the CCW badges under discussion Are very Dorky , and way, way more likely to go sideways in a bad way practically or legally , than any almost entirely imaginary benefit.

The main use for them is to have a laugh with your gun buddies in a private setting .

mumfrey

Nov 16, 2017
    Northern Balt Co
    :lol2:

Isn't there an thread about these badges that became fairly epic?

yep found quickly https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=199362&highlight=CCW+Badge

I can't see this link, must be WC....

IMO, the badge is total BS, pretty cheesy, too. I have heard many of my instructors also poo-poo the idea of this badge. Seems like it could cause more trouble than it's worth. Plus, the fact that ANYONE can get one of these kinda defeats the purpose. Again, just my opinion.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    I have a feeling it was the gun more so than the badge that made the perp surrender. The badge strikes me as being nothing more than a novelty.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I think the story is misleading.
    IF the citizen held the perp at gunpoint, then likely what is missing is the information on the 911 call.
    I think there is a high probability that the 911 call included information that a citizen was holding the perp at gunpoint and "don't shoot the good guy with the gun".

Police will treat any unidentified guy with a gun as a threat. Likely they did on this scene as well.
    There is some more to the story.

OP, link to story please

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom