Possession of a handgun in Baltimore could soon come with one year mandatory prison

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    without seeing the bill, it is impossible to determine what they are talking about. bare illegal possession with one year mandatory is a bad idea. simply possessing a firearm with no criminal record and getting a year mandatory does nothing for the city or maryland. is this really the problem in baltimore, otherwise lawful citizens possessing firearms? are you telling me all the murders and violence being committed are by non prohibited persons?

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    The bill is imbedded in the article.

thanks, was ignoring pop up. still believe it does nothing. this just targets people who do not have violent or criminal pasts. how about just supporting your officers while they do their jobs?

2A Maryland

Dec 7, 2016
    Towson, MD
    Baltimore City Proposes New Gun Bill

JULY 14, 2017
    The Baltimore City Council unveiled a draft copy of a new gun bill which would apply to Baltimore City ONLY. If the bill passes, persons convicted of possessing a handgun in Baltimore City, without a permit to wear and carry a handgun, will be subject to a mandatory 1 year prison sentence AND and $1,000 fine. The court would not be permitted to suspend any part of the penalty nor could it give probation before judgement. Persons convicted would not be eligible for parole. As written, the proposed bill could violate Maryland's preemption statute.

The really bizarre thing is that the law will only apply within 100 yards of a park, church, school, public building or other place of public assembly. Even worse, it applies not only to carrying on your person but also to your vehicle. In theory, unless you can somehow prove that you are on your way to or from the range, etc., you could spend a year in prison for simply driving within 100 yards of any of the listed places.

Click here for the article: http://www.wbaltv.com/article/city-...-sentences-on-illegal-gun-possession/10306811

Click here for the draft text of the bill and supporting document.

In a related story, Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee Chairman, Bobby Zirkin indicated that he might support a statewide minimum 5 year sentence for persons convicted a second time for for carrying a handgun without a permit to wear and carry a handgun.

Last edited:

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Does this include all the thugs that are shooting people everyday? Then you have all the "I ain't gots no money so I can't afford bail so therefore you gotta let me go or I'm discriminated against" people. Should just stop the catch and release that Baltimore AND DC are doing.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    JULY 14, 2017
    The Baltimore City Council unveiled a draft copy of a new gun bill which would apply to Baltimore City ONLY. If the bill passes, persons convicted of possessing a handgun in Baltimore City, without a permit to wear and carry a handgun, will be subject to a mandatory 1 year prison sentence AND and $1,000 fine. The court would not be permitted to suspend any part of the penalty nor could it give probation before judgement. Persons convicted would not be eligible for parole. As written, the proposed bill could violate Maryland preemption statute.
    Click here for the article: http://www.wbaltv.com/article/city-...-sentences-on-illegal-gun-possession/10306811

Click here for the draft text of the bill and supporting document.

In a related story, Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee Chairman, Bobby Zirkin indicated that he might support a statewide minimum 5 year sentence for persons convicted a second time for for carrying a handgun without a permit to wear and carry a handgun.

So that just means it is plea bargained away, just like the 5 year minimum sentence for use of a handgun in a crime we have State wide now. the laws are there to put criminals in jail, all we need is the willingness of the Courts!

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Soooo.... they're wasting taxpayer time on a bill that doesn't mean anything because of preemption? I remember an amendment to eliminate diminutive credits for violent criminals using guns, proposed by a pro-gun conservative, went absolutely nowhere in committee. Yet they'll try to pass laws like this?

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I commented on the Sun article in their comments section. I found it very interesting that they want to distinguish between illegally armed violent repeat offenders and non-violent low level drug dealers (whatever that is) when applying the proposed law. How does this square with the liberal dogma that the gun is the problem, not the person using it, and the gun is what has to be controlled? It's almost as if they are admitting that, at some point, a person bears responsibility for his actions. That's just crazy talk.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    They are going to continue to do what they already do, drop the gun charges. This means nothing.

MikeofMD

May 14, 2016
    MoCO
    Does this include all the thugs that are shooting people everyday? Then you have all the "I ain't gots no money so I can't afford bail so therefore you gotta let me go or I'm discriminated against" people. Should just stop the catch and release that Baltimore AND DC are doing.

LOL!! It's just Maryland. Criminals just do get more protection. The worst state that I have ever lived in as far as law goes. I just like my community where I live. Safer than most in MD. I work in Virginia but got such a great deal on my place that I can't even think about moving there.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's part of their inherent Dichotomies.

They really, really want to be seen as * Doing Something Bold & Dramatic to end Violence, Crime, and Death * .

But at the same time , they really , really, don't want to seriously inconvience the masses of rank & file freelance distributors.

Nixon

Jun 28, 2010
    thanks, was ignoring pop up. still believe it does nothing. this just targets people who do not have violent or criminal pasts. how about just supporting your officers while they do their jobs?

The way I read it, is they are not targeting prohibited people they are targeting everyone.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Just for sake of discussion, what if we got Shall Issue out of this deal? Not self defense as G&S, but legit Shall Issue?

For the record I think that the bill as proposed would do nothing but possibly jack up law abiding current permit holders, criminals already don't obey the law.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Just for sake of discussion, what if we got Shall Issue out of this deal? Not self defense as G&S, but legit Shall Issue?

For the record I think that the bill as proposed would do nothing but possibly jack up law abiding current permit holders, criminals already don't obey the law.

What happens if we get shall issue and you accidentally carry into a school zone or park or other prohibited area and end up facing a mandatory minimum?

You're spot on about more laws affecting the lawless. It won't matter. There will be carve outs and charges will be plead down to a "dangerous weapon" or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom