• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Isaakb

Dec 15, 2015
    Northern Calvert County
    So the hunting laws and bag limits and antler restrictions in Maryland are confusing. Keep in mind this all Region B hunting with a crossbow.

So if a deer has two or fewer points but more than three inch spikes, you can only harvest two. But unless I'm mistaken, the most you can harvest is two anyway and only if you bought an extra buck stamp.

Now if a deer has more than 2 points on at least one side, you can take any number, up to the yearly bag limit.

My question is: Is is possible to take more than two, 3 point or greater, antlered deer legally? For example do they allow an archer to harvest 2 antlered, 3 points or more on one side, in each of the three seasons with a bow?

I am really confused. If it's not possible to take more than two deer, why say that a hunter can harvest "any number?" In order to maximize harvest of 3 point or greater deer, would you have to change weapons according to the season?

There is not a snowball's chance in hell I am going bow hunting in firearm season. With my luck I'd be hauling my kill out and somebody might mistake my kill for a live deer. Plus I think it might get a bit crowded. I'll stay home and try to get my meat early season.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Not sure of the exact wording but I'm pretty sure it says you can take the legal limit during each season, Bow, Muzzleloadet, and Firearm. As long as you use that firearm, if I remember right there is some wonky rule that a deer taken with a bow during muzzleloader season counts toward your bow limit.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    OP,

From a thread I started last year in the "Outdoor Sports" forum. Take a look at it. Lots of good input from the MDS Bambi whacking crowd. Hope it helps some. The regs are still confusing as hell.

DNR Reading Comprehension Alert for Region B.

For years, I've assumed that ONE Antlered Deer and ONE Bonus Antlered Deer meant you could kill a maximum of TWO Antlered Deer per year.

The DNR deer hunting guidelines keep using the words per season and per year. Knowing there is an Archery Season, a Muzzle Loading Season, and a Firearms Season, I gave DNR a call to put this to rest once and for all.

I was told: ONE Antlered Deer can be taken during each of the three separate seasons. So now we're at THREE antlered deer for the year.

Here is where the head scratching came in. Both on my part and the DNR's part. They had to huddle up to get the correct answer and I commend them for that.

I asked them if the same theory holds true for the Bonus Antler Stamp. As in: Can you get a Bonus Antler Stamp for each of the three seasons? The phone went silent for a bit and then I was asked to hold on.

The lady came back and said only ONE Antlered Bonus Stamp may be purchased during the year, but could be used in any of the three seasons. Just as long as two Antlerless deer were taken first. This is something I and everyone else already knows.

Soooo, a total of FOUR Antlered Deer can be taken in Region B.

If this is common knowledge to some, feel free to heckle, snicker, or kick me in the nuts. If this long winded explanation has been helpful, as it has been to me, finally, enjoy using the information to kill more Antlered Deer.

Much thanks to the very helpful DNR lady.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    OP,

From a thread I started last year in the "Outdoor Sports" forum. Take a look at it. Lots of good input from the MDS Bambi whacking crowd. Hope it helps some. The regs are still confusing as hell.

For years, I've assumed that ONE Antlered Deer and ONE Bonus Antlered Deer meant you could kill a maximum of TWO Antlered Deer per year.

The DNR deer hunting guidelines keep using the words per season and per year. Knowing there is an Archery Season, a Muzzle Loading Season, and a Firearms Season, I gave DNR a call to put this to rest once and for all.

I was told: ONE Antlered Deer can be taken during each of the three separate seasons. So now we're at THREE antlered deer for the year.

Here is where the head scratching came in. Both on my part and the DNR's part. They had to huddle up to get the correct answer and I commend them for that.

I asked them if the same theory holds true for the Bonus Antler Stamp. As in: Can you get a Bonus Antler Stamp for each of the three seasons? The phone went silent for a bit and then I was asked to hold on.

The lady came back and said only ONE Antlered Bonus Stamp may be purchased during the year, but could be used in any of the three seasons. Just as long as two Antlerless deer were taken first. This is something I and everyone else already knows.

If this is common knowledge to some, feel free to heckle, snicker, or kick me in the nuts. If this long winded explanation has been helpful, as it has been to me, finally, enjoy using the information to kill more Antlered Deer.

That had been my assumption, but it is not terribly clear in the wording.

As for points and size, that is basically to tell you what is considered antlered or antlerless and ALSO you have a restriction on the guys just big enough to be considered antlered, but not especially big. There those in betweeners the limit is 2 per year out of the max of 4 total antlered (1 person plus a bonus if you get 2 does first).

So the spikes and forks you can only take 2 in a year. You can take 4 total antlered, but the other two are going to have to be 5+ point bucks. Buttons (less than 3 inches) count as antlerless, but let's be nice, if you can tell it is a button, unless you've had a dry year, let's leave them alone and hope they come back next year as big guys.

One additional consideration, look closely at the seasons. In some cases using a bow in muzzleloader season counts against your BOW limits, not the muzzleloader limits. Other days it counts against ML limits. Otherwise the season you are hunting in is what you harvest counts against the bag limits for that season no matter the device used to harvest the deer.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    MD never makes things clear, or easy... but I agree with those that posted, as long as they are racked above the guidelines, you can take 3 + 1 bonus stamp if you take advantage and check them in with the 3 different seasons/weapon classifications.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    How about 2017?

OP,

Does the same apply in 2017? I took a region A 6pt during early muzzleloader. I'm assuming I can take a 1 additional buck in Region B for archery and 1 in fire arms season w/o shooting 2 does first. Not sure if I can take a Region B muzzleloader buck. If I get a bonus stamp, 1 more buck could be taken.

Please help.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    Does the same apply in 2017? I took a region A 6pt during early muzzleloader. I'm assuming I can take a 1 additional buck in Region B for archery and 1 in fire arms season w/o shooting 2 does first. Not sure if I can take a Region B muzzleloader buck. If I get a bonus stamp, 1 more buck could be taken.

Please help.

Region A and B limits are separate so yes you can still kill a buck with a muzzleloader in Region B

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Region A and B limits are separate so yes you can still kill a buck with a muzzleloader in Region B
    Agreed... one must read the regs very carefully and pay attention to 'year' and 'season'. There is one 'hunting year' but there are several separate hunting seasons when you factor in regions and weapons. The 'two does before a second buck' applies to using a bonus antlered deer stamp only.

I would encourage those capable of taking does, to do so! They eat as good or better and in most places, taking some does will improve your buck hunting over time (less does for the bucks to check and yes, they will check them all.. lol)

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

Please help.

I will give you the same advice I gave myself back in 2015.

Contact DNR and ask them.

They get their kiwis busted a lot, but they're good folks who will help you to understand the regulations.

Let us know what you find out.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    So the hunting laws and bag limits and antler restrictions in Maryland are confusing. Keep in mind this all Region B hunting with a crossbow.

So if a deer has two or fewer points but more than three inch spikes, you can only harvest two. But unless I'm mistaken, the most you can harvest is two anyway and only if you bought an extra buck stamp.

Now if a deer has more than 2 points on at least one side, you can take any number, up to the yearly bag limit.

My question is: Is is possible to take more than two, 3 point or greater, antlered deer legally? For example do they allow an archer to harvest 2 antlered, 3 points or more on one side, in each of the three seasons with a bow?

I am really confused. If it's not possible to take more than two deer, why say that a hunter can harvest "any number?" In order to maximize harvest of 3 point or greater deer, would you have to change weapons according to the season?

There is not a snowball's chance in hell I am going bow hunting in firearm season. With my luck I'd be hauling my kill out and somebody might mistake my kill for a live deer. Plus I think it might get a bit crowded. I'll stay home and try to get my meat early season.
    Region B, a possible total of 4 bucks total for the whole year. One each per archery, ML, and Firearms plus only One bonus buck - period, for the whole season, pick any of the 3 weapon/seasons only, get your bonus antlered deer tag, and go get him. Only two of the 4 total possible bucks can be a 4 point or less (or a one-horned deer with less than 3 pts on one side.

Good luck to you.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Region B, a possible total of 4 bucks total for the whole year. One each per archery, ML, and Firearms plus only One bonus buck - period, for the whole season, pick any of the 3 weapon/seasons only, get your bonus antlered deer tag, and go get him. Only two of the 4 total possible bucks can be a 4 point or less (or a one-horned deer with less than 3 pts on one side.

Good luck to you.

Bingo. But to add, that bonus stamp is only usable (you can buy it anytime) once you take 2 antlerless deer first. It doesn’t say does. It could be a pair of button bucks. Those two antlerless deer can in any season within that hunting year.

Not to muddy it, but doesn’t it say that the bonus stamp can’t be used in western MD/region A? Or am I inventing language that doesn’t exist?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Bingo. But to add, that bonus stamp is only usable (you can buy it anytime) once you take 2 antlerless deer first. It doesn’t say does. It could be a pair of button bucks. Those two antlerless deer can in any season within that hunting year.

Not to muddy it, but doesn’t it say that the bonus stamp can’t be used in western MD/region A? Or am I inventing language that doesn’t exist?
    Correct. I read that last night, not valid in Region A. Didn’t realize that, but then I don’t deer hunt in Region A, so I suppose I never bothered to look that up. Also thought I read that the bonus tag doesn’t expire at the end of the hunting season, it can be carried over to next year ??

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    MD never makes things clear, or easy... but I agree with those that posted, as long as they are racked above the guidelines, you can take 3 + 1 bonus stamp if you take advantage and check them in with the 3 different seasons/weapon classifications.

^^^This^^^

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    To address Isaakb's post that appears to have been deleted, I have to reread the regs on that, as if you are only hunting with archery gear, you have to read carefully how they count the harvests for the firearms and muzzleloader seasons. I think, if I remember correctly, the firearms harvest is counted as a firearms harvest, even if you use archery or muzzleloader to take it, but I don't remember how they count the muzzleloader harvests in those seasons (and there are two separate ML seasons) if you take them with a archery tackle.

The regs are confusing and you have to read about each of the seasons carefully to prevent running amok of the rules.

I do often hunt with archery gear during the firearms/ML seasons, but since I will only kill mature bucks, I rarely ever take more then two bucks in a hunting year. I will take does for the freezer later in the season (after the rut), so my bonus antlered tag will be good either way.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Sticky, I recently asked in her and the response I got was this.

What is legal with the gear at the time is how it is counted.

So in ML season even if you use archery equipment, it counts as a muzzleloader harvest.

In the 2nd split of early muzzleloader that means if you take a doe with a bow, it counts as a ML doe. But since a buck is NOT legal with a ML in the 2nd split, if you take one with a bow it would count towards your archery buck tag (and would not be poaching, unlesss you use a ML then, or are already limited out on bucks for archery hunting).

It makes sense, but is not readily apparent from the regs (the doe part is clearly called out in the regs though for the 2nd split)

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Sticky, I recently asked in her and the response I got was this.

What is legal with the gear at the time is how it is counted.

So in ML season even if you use archery equipment, it counts as a muzzleloader harvest.

In the 2nd split of early muzzleloader that means if you take a doe with a bow, it counts as a ML doe. But since a buck is NOT legal with a ML in the 2nd split, if you take one with a bow it would count towards your archery buck tag (and would not be poaching, unlesss you use a ML then, or are already limited out on bucks for archery hunting).

It makes sense, but is not readily apparent from the regs (the doe part is clearly called out in the regs though for the 2nd split)
    Thanks for that clarification, it is a bit confusing and I recall the nuances of the 2nd split in ML season, but since I almost never take a 3rd antlered buck in a year, I have never really delved into it. :thumbsup:

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    OP,

This is the best explanation of the season limits. I hunt bow only. But, I buy all the stamps and hunt those seasons. I don't get the bonus stamp.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So the hunting laws and bag limits and antler restrictions in Maryland are confusing. Keep in mind this all Region B hunting with a crossbow. In region B, you may kill 4 antlered deer, provided that;
    A) No more than two were spike bucks(Md's half-assed way of determining a 1.5 year old deer).
    B) You have killed two does(doesn't matter what weapon/season they were taken) before attempting to take your bonus buck.

(see above)

Correct, but you have to hunt all three weapon/seasons.

No. Only four(4) total for the entire hunting year. One per weapon season(gun, bow, and muzzle loader plus one bonus buck(see answers A&B above).

They want deer to get older(reach full maturity)

In that case, you will not be able to kill more than two bucks(as long as you kill two does before going after your second archery buck). The nice thing about that, they can both be spikes(since you are limiting yourself to two bucks).

Capiche?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom