• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Is there any way to build one in such a way that it is an HBAR and not in need of registration?

I assume that like pistols the same "No bathroom stops allowed" rules apply for other regulated firearms.

Thanks for the info.

They will register and treat the lower as a regulated firearm when you buy it. Seems silly to wait 8+ days for an un-assembled frame, but that's how they do it. Like someone else said, the upper is not considered a firearm. Some other rifles, like FAL's, have it reversed, where the upper is the regulated part. But for AR's the firearm part is the lower.

No the "no bathroom stops" rule does not apply to regulated long guns. That is a common misconception. But don't feel bad, in fact, MSP's own pamphlet on the subject gets it wrong. The restrictions on only travelling to a range, gunsmith, new residence, etc. are part of the "wear, carry, transport a handgun" law from 1972 and have nothing to do with regulated long guns. The only law concerning transporting long guns in the state, regulated or otherwise, is the one which prohibits you from having a loaded long gun in a vehicle, including a loaded magazine inserted in a weapon with an empty chamber. It falls under the "Hunting from vehicles prohibited" law but applies everywhere hunting or not.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    No the "no bathroom stops" rule does not apply to regulated long guns. That is a common misconception. But don't feel bad, in fact, MSP's own pamphlet on the subject gets it wrong. The restrictions on only travelling to a range, gunsmith, new residence, etc. are part of the "wear, carry, transport a handgun" law from 1972 and have nothing to do with regulated long guns. The only law concerning transporting long guns in the state, regulated or otherwise, is the one which prohibits you from having a loaded long gun in a vehicle, including a loaded magazine inserted in a weapon with an empty chamber. It falls under the "Hunting from vehicles prohibited" law but applies everywhere hunting or not.

You mean I've been pissing all over myself driving home from the range for no reason?!? ;)

Seriously though, I thought that the no bathroom break rule applied to ALL firearms in MD. So I can legally have my AR in my truck when I go to work for a little lunch time paper punching?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    You mean I've been pissing all over myself driving home from the range for no reason?!? ;)

Seriously though, I thought that the no bathroom break rule applied to ALL firearms in MD. So I can legally have my AR in my truck when I go to work for a little lunch time paper punching?

Yup....as long as your employer doesn't have a kitten over it.

I can't do that of course because it would move me to the front of the Washington Post in about two seconds.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Yup....as long as your employer doesn't have a kitten over it.

Wow. This is a life changing revelation. I had never thought about the fact that the rules on transporting only apply to handguns. I just scoured the MD code for any laws pertaining to long guns in vehicles, and I could find nothing. I can't count the number of times I needed to stop at a store on the way back from the range but didn't because I had a rifle/shotgun in the car.

My office is 3 minutes from the shooting range. :party29:

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

I can hear the trap range from my "office" but it would be a felony for me to take my trap gun to work.....

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    Wow. This is a life changing revelation. I had never thought about the fact that the rules on transporting only apply to handguns. I just scoured the MD code for any laws pertaining to long guns in vehicles, and I could find nothing. I can't count the number of times I needed to stop at a store on the way back from the range but didn't because I had a rifle/shotgun in the car.

One of the reasons I plan to do the DIY AR thing myself in the near future. Sometimes I just want to shoot stuff after a long day of errands without having to make a stop at home first.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I can hear the trap range from my "office" but it would be a felony for me to take my trap gun to work.....

§ 4-102. Deadly weapons on school property.

(a) Exceptions.- This section does not apply to:

(3) a person engaged in organized shooting activity for educational purposes; or

(4) a person who, with a written invitation from the school principal, displays or engages in a historical demonstration using a weapon or a replica of a weapon for educational purposes.

Start a trap and skeet club or teach a class on firearms safety :innocent0.

You might be able to get away with that down here in Southern MD, but I don't see it happening in sophisticated and progressive Annapolis. ;)

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

(3) a person engaged in organized shooting activity for educational purposes; or

(4) a person who, with a written invitation from the school principal, displays or engages in a historical demonstration using a weapon or a replica of a weapon for educational purposes.

You might be able to get away with that down here in Southern MD, but I don't see it happening in sophisticated and progressive Annapolis. ;)

You forget where I teach, eh? Think further west....:D

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville

Sadly, permission to do that seems to be harder to do post-Columbine. One of my high school history teachers in MoCo (quite possibly the only teacher in MoCo with an NRA membership) used to bring in a full WWI army kit (only the boots weren't authentic) to dress up a student in and show to class during the relevant subject. Outside of that, he also had some medieval weaponry locked in the classroom cabinets and small cannonballs as doorstops. But years of standard practice and permission vanished rather quickly.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    When I was a freshman in high school, I brought all of my reloading gear to school for a demonstration. It was for a speech class, and I demonstrated how to make a .357 round. I brought some cases, bullets, primers, powder, and all the required hardware, as well as my Ruger GP100 to show them the gun in which the rounds would be fired. The only stipulation was that I leave the gun and reloading equipment in my locker for the rest of the day. That was in Scottsdale, AZ back in the late 80's, when AZ was still very much the wild, wild west. It was a private school as well, but now days that would be absolutely unheard of. Later, when I was a junior/senior, we used to get up really early and go dove/quail hunting before school, and leave our guns and ammo in the car in the school parking lot. The teachers knew we did this but had no problem with it. They would actually ask how the hunt went. Now that I think about I can hardly believe that all of that happened, but it certainly did.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I had a guy in one of my history classes out at UMUC who was into Revolutionary War re-enacting and would volunteer his time to visit schools in full uniform and such. But as you can imagine he was never allowed to bring any kind of a musket/musket replica/copycat musket/thoughts of a musket in with him for the display. So he had to use a broomstick when talking to the kids about revolutionary soldiers' weapons.

At first this made me mad, but then I thought, the broomstick might be a good idea if the Cease Fire ladies showed up.

At least then they'd have something to ride.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    well, not exactly

Under the MD preemption law, counties and incorporated cities still get to make laws for the 100yd buffer zone around "parks, churches, schools, and other places of public assembly."

For instance, MoCo law says that any guns in that buffer zone must be in a car trunk driven on the road, or being actually transported somewhere legit.

Takoma Park claims that it can ban handguns within 100yds of a public sidewalk, even if inside a private residence.:rolleyes:

You may want to check the laws where you're going. Most other places in MD besides the ones I listed seem to have no such laws, but YMMV.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    No the "no bathroom stops" rule does not apply to regulated long guns. That is a common misconception. But don't feel bad, in fact, MSP's own pamphlet on the subject gets it wrong. The restrictions on only travelling to a range, gunsmith, new residence, etc. are part of the "wear, carry, transport a handgun" law from 1972 and have nothing to do with regulated long guns.

This is pretty much the conclusion I came to when I searched about handguns in the Md code but as you point out LEOs, at least from what I read here, don't seem to follow this. And, as someone on this board pointed out, to prove it you might need to make yourself the test case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom