• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericbgray

Jul 12, 2018
    Good afternoon. I have been enjoying reading through some of the threads and the information that it has provided.

I have a few question regarding the HQL in MD.

I was recently "disapproved" for an HQL from MD. The state police officer stated that I had a record hit on the FBI database for a very old assault case that I had in VA from 12/1999 (2nd degree). Virginia doesn't even maintain the charge in their own database. I ran into an issue when purchasing a gun a few months ago at the Nation's Gun Show held in Dulles, VA, but a VA State Trooper told me everything I needed to do to get the information removed from prohibiting me from buying a gun. I thought everything was cleared up, but I have run into an issue with MD.

I am now a resident of MD btw, and possess a VA concealed permit (CCW), and have had this permit for over 20 years.

When applying for the MD HQL, my application was disapproved. With this disapproval, is there a way to go about getting it overturned? Is speaking with the MD State Police officer processing my paperwork a good idea? With VA not doing expungements, is there a way for MD to review the circumstances of my case? Is it worth the time to appeal the disapproval?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Howdy. Join our fight.

www.marylandshallussue.org

IMG_0191.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I'm thinking you may need to get a lawyer involved. If you were disapproved for the HQL I believe that makes you prohibited in Maryland. You need to get that assault charge gotten rid of ASAP now that you are on their radar.

Oh, and welcome to the wonderful state of Maryland

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA

ericbgray

Jul 12, 2018
    At this moment, my HQL is still in limbo as I research and check out this entire situation. My last resort will probably be checking with a lawyer to see if something can be done by petitioning the courts.

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    It sounds to me like you already spoke to the MSP since getting the disapproved and they gave you their answer (a hit on the NICS check). Talking to them again will not do you much good because the NICS will always come back with a hit (NICS are run for every firearm transfer of possession as well). It sounds to me that your issue is with VA and NICS and once that gets cleared up you can approach MD again.

At this point speaking to a lawyer with Virginia and potentially 2A experience may get you your quickest resolution.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom