• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    We were talking about how much cash we should have in the safe for that just in case moment when your plastic is no good , First thing that comes to mind is a prolonged loss of power , My biggest fear is not being able to get more Gas or Propane because it's Cash only , I know in a total meltdown cash will only be valuable for a short time , I told my Girl friend that I would feel good with 10 Grand , She thinks that is to much and it's better to leave it in the bank , I said that's fine if you can get to it .How much do you keep

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I usually keep $1K but I’m trying to up that and eventually be around 4-5K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Conundrum

Oct 19, 2007
    WV
    I got a couple boxes of 9mm ammo I could trade for a truckload of food. I'm also thinking of saving all of my bottle caps.

Never had much money on hand. I should change that.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Make sure you have some smaller bills too. Otherwise you'll end up paying twenty dollars for everything.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****I keep a couple of months worth of expenses in cash. It's not an insignificant amount, but it would pay for most emergency type repairs, etc... I could for sure make more money on it in many many other investment instruments but the purpose is just to have cash on hand. I rarely use it for anything, but I have it just in case. I also have other stuff I can trade or use as currency in case cash isn't acceptable (precious metals, coins, some foreign currency mostly Euros, etc..). I have emergency funds in the bank as well, but if I can't get to the bank because there is 40 inches of snow in front of my house and the poor gender studies graduate with the purple hair and piercings is waiting outside my door waiting to get paid for the pizza.. I at least have something on hand if the credit card machines are down, etc..

Note: I have no idea how the gender studies graduate got to my home in her 2015 Nissan Altima with my pizza if there are 40 inches of snow out, it could just as well be only 30 inches of snow, and a degree in historical fiction/gender studies for all I care. I honestly just want the pizza and the crazy looking person off my doorstep...

So yea, mebbe 2 months of expenses in cash.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Cash is pretty much worthless in the scenario you are speaking about. In a situation where the gov't has lost control and anarchy ensues, cash is worthless paper. Gold or silver coins have value, but the gov't has already mandated that you have to declare those precious metals to go through Customs. If you try to leave the country, good luck taking those coins with you. If you somehow escape with gold or silver, it is fairly easy to exchange for currency in your country of exile.

The other currency that has potential is cryptocurrency, like Bitcoin. It isn't gov't dependent and you don't have to physically carry anything with you when you flee the country. If you can get out of the country, you can exchange your Bitcoin for cash in the country you enter.

So I would recommend enough precious metal to survive a short period and get you out of the country, then enough cryptocurrency to settle in another country. My good friend's parents fled Lebanon's civil war in the late 80's. I think they landed in the US with $6000 cash. They managed to make due with $6000 plus the cost of a flight for 4 people.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I still have $2.5K left over from the Y2K debacle.
    A few 50s but mostly 20, 10, 5 and a hell lot of Washingtons.
    If left it in the bank I would possibly made $100 in interest.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    We keep $5-8K or so in currency in the safe (or is it in the secret OTHER safe?). Some in C-notes, a lot in twenties, but at least a few hundred in fives and tens just in case.

But we also keep trade goods: small bottles of quality booze, spices/seasonings, batteries, first aid items, basic over the counter meds, and the real gold: subsonic .22LR! Oh, and duct tape.

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I've got about 5k in cash and silver rounds at any one time. If SHTF, I'd have another 3k in cash and coin from the restaurant, more if skip the day's deposit.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    A few 50s but mostly 20, 10, 5 and a hell lot of Washingtons.

I keep the same. To get through the power outages, being the most likely scenario.

One does not want to keep too much cash on hand, because stuff happens, theft or fire comes to mind. Once the cash is gone, it doesnt replace itself.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I've got a jar full of pre-1983 pennies.

Also about 30,000 rounds of small arms ammunition.

Also toilet paper.

^^THIS is how I'm doing things since others kept saying "lead will be the new gold" and "asses will always need wiping":lol2:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    you all need to loosen your tin foil hats.

Yes, because every time we have had extensive prolonged power outages, the local hardware store had anything we could have wanted, as long as we weren't using a credit card.

Same with the grocery store. They were happy to let you in, as long as you were paying cash.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    And you saw I mentioned duct tape. Even a well designed tinfoil hat doesn't stay on in the wind without some help.

Best to use the HVAC foil tape.

1003237760.jpg

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    2K or so of US currency , silver , some gold , booze . My wife has money i don't ask her about and i have money my wife does not ask me about either .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom