• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgi_va

Jan 11, 2016
    I'm thinking to start deer hunting this year and I'm kind of like Savage 212 configuration but it's not available locally. Am I overthinking? Do I need to look at something else?

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    Had a 212 it was accurate but light which isn’t a good characteristic in a slug gun. The 220 will do a fine job too. Boyd’s make a laminate stock too.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    A 12 ga slug gun should be super cheap used, if that's what you really want. Recoil is a bear. Most guys are going to 20 ga these days. Ballistics are good and recoil is manageable. Of course, if you're seriously big & sturdy then the 12 ga might be fine.

sgi_va

Jan 11, 2016
    Thank you! I am not small but bruising easily. 20 GA sounds like what I need and it's available.

gaskg

Jan 5, 2010
    Forest Hill
    I have the Savage 220 the 20ga version. Extremely accurate. Mine groups really well with 3” Remington Accutips

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    A 12 ga slug gun should be super cheap used, if that's what you really want. Recoil is a bear. Most guys are going to 20 ga these days. Ballistics are good and recoil is manageable. Of course, if you're seriously big & sturdy then the 12 ga might be fine.

Roll with the 12 gauge recoil

Some other good tips:

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    In the first video, John is a big dude. He's 6'9", 250 lb. He's also using a semi-auto, which is a lot better for recoil than a bolt gun.

While I agree that there's ways to mitigate recoil, 12 ga slugs are going to be stout, especially from a bolt-action. 20 ga slug ballistics are excellent and recoil is a lot less. It's a deer, not a grizzly, so any difference in terminal ballistics between 12 ga and 20 ga is not a big deal.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Oh I agree on your points presented. 20 gauge is sufficient for a deer.

Shooting 12 gauge slugs is not a pleasant experience. Just trying to help out a little. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom