• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HuntFishShoot

Nov 16, 2017
    Cecil
    Hello from the Eastern Shore. Recent career changes have me considering pursuing a C&W permit in Maryland. I would like some input if possible if anyone has has a situation like mine and been approved. I am a medical contractor for the Delaware Department of Corrections. I am a nurse working in a maximum security prison. My job entails caring for not only medically unstable inmates but also psychiatric inmates. A major part of my job entails me dictating the level of care an inmate receives, and the inmates always disagree with my assessment, thus putting a target on my back. My recent issues has come to dealing with psychologically unstable inmates. I am responsible for placing mentally unstable inmates in isolation and often times required to enforce orders that remove everything from the inmate but a gown. This has resulted in multiple death threats from inmates due to my involvement in the process. Recently,I had an incident that struck me to the core. I had an inmate who had gained access to a cellphone and looked me up. He had found out the town I lived in just off a google search. This inmates sentence is almost up. He often speaks of mass murdering. The inmate references current events such as Vegas

I believe these reasons warrant a good reason to be issued a C&W. However, as a medical professional I am bound by HIPPA. HIPPA is the federal act that protects your health information. As a medical professional, I cannot, by law, disclose any information about a patient. This includes confirming or denying that a specific inmate is a psych patient. Also, due to the threats being made under, 'psychological duress,' they are not documented threats.

So this is where I am stuck, Do I spend the money to take the course and apply or will it be time wasted. I'm in the process of obtaining my Utah permit to carry concealed in Delaware.

Also, I do not know if this would help to mention but recently one of the nurses I worked with was being stalked by one of our psych patients who spent many stents in our psych isolation. He began calling our office phones asking for her from his housing unit. It was reported but continued. When he was released weeks later he was found twice outside the prison waiting for her to come out. Luckily he was arrested and placed in another facility.

Thanks for any input you guys have. I appreciate it.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    It's a W&C, Wear and Carry, or in actuality a Maryland Handgun Permit.

Yes, you should absolutely try.

Documented threats will no doubt get you a MD handgun permit and they are easy to come by in a corrections environment. Certainly there are some MD residents incarcerated where you work who have made threats against staff. Even generalized threats that are made against staff as a whole count. Incident reports will suffice. You should have several. PM me if you need to.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater

Documented threats will no doubt get you a MD handgun permit and they are easy to come by in a corrections environment. Certainly there are some MD residents incarcerated where you work who have made threats against staff. Even generalized threats that are made against staff as a whole count. Incident reports will suffice. You should have several. PM me if you need to.

Agree. The Handgun Permit Review Board (HPRB) is steadily and slowly overturning the unconstitutional restrictions placed on permits by MSP, but MSP is still issuing restricted permits based on their historical policies. This (HPRB) is the place where applicants can appeal the restrictions on their permits.

In your initial application to MSP, it will help if your supervisor at work supports your request. Document as many direct and threats as you can, and while honoring HIPPA provide as much specific info as possible, as well as witnesses and all supporting evidence. The more you can provide, the better your chances.

Join Maryland Shall Issue These fine folks have been fighting this battle, successfully, for a long time, and have been instrumental in helping folks through the process.

My prediction is that you'll get a restricted permit from MSP, and then you can appeal to the HPRB for the restrictions to be lifted. Seems like it's about a one year process from beginning to the end, and in my opinion you have an excellent chance of getting your permit.

Above all, be honest and complete in your application. Any discrepancies or deviations from facts, no matter how minor, seem to be a reason for MSP to deny the app. Especially any and all charges brought, even dismissed, against you in your entire life. The MSP folks take some pride in their ability to find reasons to deny us our Constitutional rights, so don't help them.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Agree. The Handgun Permit Review Board (HPRB) is steadily and slowly overturning the unconstitutional restrictions placed on permits by MSP, but MSP is still issuing restricted permits based on their historical policies. This (HPRB) is the place where applicants can appeal the restrictions on their permits.

In your initial application to MSP, it will help if your supervisor at work supports your request. Document as many direct and threats as you can, and while honoring HIPPA provide as much specific info as possible, as well as witnesses and all supporting evidence. The more you can provide, the better your chances.

Join Maryland Shall Issue These fine folks have been fighting this battle, successfully, for a long time, and have been instrumental in helping folks through the process.

My prediction is that you'll get a restricted permit from MSP, and then you can appeal to the HPRB for the restrictions to be lifted. Seems like it's about a one year process from beginning to the end, and in my opinion you have an excellent chance of getting your permit.

Above all, be honest and complete in your application. Any discrepancies or deviations from facts, no matter how minor, seem to be a reason for MSP to deny the app. Especially any and all charges brought, even dismissed, against you in your entire life. The MSP folks take some pride in their ability to find reasons to deny us our Constitutional rights, so don't help them.
    Anyone working within a corrections environment that can document threats will be given essentially an unrestricted permit. It will read as off-duty only. But since you can't carry inside of a penal institution anyway it is an unrestricted permit.

Not to mention MSP can't regulate what you do in another state anyway and since OP works in Delaware his permit will effectively be unrestricted.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Howdy. Join our fight.

www.marylandshallissue.org
    IMG_0191.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Potentially a good chance.

BUT if you don't feel you can reveal your actual threats yourself , you will need a strong letter from someone in your workplace with impressive title .

mumfrey

Nov 16, 2017
    Northern Balt Co
    I wish you luck on your application, for sure.

I don't want to hijack the thread but I think it's a frigging joke that I see so many of these questions/doubts about acquiring your given RIGHT. What a crock of shiz the People's Republic of Maryland is....

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    May issue and we ain’t issuing this year.

But the following G&S reasons apply at any time:

Wrecked your pickup truck.

Dog died/ran away.

Wife cheated/left.

Drunk.

In prison.

Saw a train.

Thought about Momma.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    But the following G&S reasons apply at any time:

Wrecked your pickup truck.

Dog died/ran away.

Wife cheated/left.

Drunk.

In prison.

Saw a train.

Thought about Momma.

Nope. I might give you a pass if your cheating wife left you, crashing your truck and your dog didn’t make it out of the wreckage, but your about to be ex-wife did.

Maybe. But it better only be one song.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

Best advice.

I think he's asking about a permit to play Country and Western.

Go ahead , get all Steve Goodman on us .

:thumbsup:

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    HuntFishShoot: Plan on attending a Handgun Permit Review Board meeting soon, where you will meet up with folks in attendance on our side who have navigated this process.

You will learn about the Pennak Statement and other submissions. Just watch the forum for the regularly scheduled HPRB meeting threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom