• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 13, 2013
    Carroll County
    Really 2,000 dollars for all those fish? Unbelievable!!!! They should have took the boat!!!:mad54:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/news/story.asp?story_id=389

A Silver Spring man was found guilty last Friday in Annapolis District Court of possessing 228 undersized striped bass.

Hervin O. Nunez-Aleman, 34, pleaded guilty to a single violation. He was fined $2,000 and placed on unsupervised probation.

An officer with the Maryland Natural Resources Police was on patrol at Sandy Point State Park on August 31 at 1:30 a.m., when he stopped a boat returning to the marina.

After receiving permission from Nunez-Aleman, the boat owner, to check the coolers aboard the 14-foot recreational vessel, the officer found 228 striped bass under the legal minimum of 18 inches. The officer also found about 30 pounds of white perch in the coolers. None of the four people on the boat had a fishing license.

The trial of a fishing companion, Amaya Chicas, is set for April 18 in Annapolis District Court. The district courts in Anne Arundel County participate in a program that highlights natural resources cases on specific day each month. Under the program, cases including fishing, hunting, boating and tree expert violations are heard on a specific day each month in the region where they occurred.

Citizens who see conservation violations, maritime emergencies or other law enforcement issues on the Chesapeake Bay or the State's public lands are urged to call 800-628-9944.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he'll get fined by DNR.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    No pity from me. They should have fined him more and taken his boat. One of my major problems with people in Maryland is that they think they can do whatever the **** they want. Oh, I don't feel like taking my trash to the dump? Let me just throw it on the side of the road. Oh, I don't feel like dealing with my used motor oil, so let me just change my oil over a storm drain (witnessed this first hand, photographed it, AND called park police). We have a lot of BS laws in this damn state but some of them make sense.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    No pity from me. They should have fined him more and taken his boat. One of my major problems with people in Maryland is that they think they can do whatever the **** they want. Oh, I don't feel like taking my trash to the dump? Let me just throw it on the side of the road. Oh, I don't feel like dealing with my used motor oil, so let me just change my oil over a storm drain (witnessed this first hand, photographed it, AND called park police). We have a lot of BS laws in this damn state but some of them make sense.

The only thing that doesn't make sense is the fact this ******* still has his freedom and a boat

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    I do not like poachers. What was he going to do with 228 lbs. of undersized fish? He was going to sell them. I would understand if he was hungry and feeding his family, but 228 lbs? He was going to sell them.

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    The only thing that doesn't make sense is the fact this ******* still has his freedom and a boat

Jail time would be harsh. I'm all for banning him from fishing or boating in the State for the next 10 years. I'm for community service to clean up the bay and woods.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    How long are you out there fishing to catch 228 undersized fish?

They caught him at 1:30 AM so a long time.

Does all that confiscated fish go to waste?
    DNR should have a fish fry.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    He's not a poacher, he's an Undocumented Guest Aquatic Harvester, and the DNR should be ashamed.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Jail time would be harsh. I'm all for banning him from fishing or boating in the State for the next 10 years. I'm for community service to clean up the bay and woods.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I don't see how banning him is going to work. Many DUI repeat offenders have lost their licenses and STILL drive.

If not locked up, then his boat AND car should be taken. Community service is a must. He should also have to pay 30x the rain tax for the next 10 years. After all, he is contributing to the perception that something is wrong with the Bay since there aren't many fish around...

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Wow, $8.77 per each illegal fish. That'll show 'em!

That's blatant. 228 fish. And this is just a guy they caught. He should have gotten time both because he deserved it, and to set an example.

willy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 13, 2013
    Carroll County
    I take kids to the nicodemues bridge during the summer, maybe 25 people not one has a license. They were laughing about it in 5 different languages. DNR drives by all the lines come out of the water. Never see a DNR. But the other day he makes the 1.5 mile hike to check me out.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    I take kids to the nicodemues bridge during the summer, maybe 25 people not one has a license. They were laughing about it in 5 different languages. DNR drives by all the lines come out of the water. Never see a DNR. But the other day he makes the 1.5 mile hike to check me out.

I feel ya. DNR once camped out waiting for us to check our crab traps last year. We were not doing anything illegal, but didn't feel like dealing with them, so we just chilled. We thought they had left, but nope, they were hiding. Back to the boat to look at our papers, etc.

Happens to me all the time on the boat.What gets me is they'll blast a mi. or 2 to check a 25' fishing boat (outriggers,rocket-launchers,etc.) for licenses and ride right on by a 14' jon boat with 5 people in it.Not bashing them but it does tick me off.

Yellowhand

Jan 19, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    The last year I fished was 10 years ago...a DNR policeman harassed me while fishing the Choptank from the bank in Greensboro. He asked to see my fishing license 7 different times throughout the summer. The last time he asked for my license I asked him if he had nothing better to do than harass me and reminded him he had messed with me six previous times and that it was most unlikely that he didn't recognize me. I told him I was going to report him to the DNR in Annapolis if he bothered me again. He was maybe 5'5" with a big gun on his hip acting like a big shot.
    I think the poacher should have had the book thrown at him; had it been you or me we would have lost our boat and possibly our car.

michaera

Love me some freedom.
    Jan 10, 2014

Agreed. Punishments should be issued to fit the crimes. Bay clean-up is spot on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom