• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Found this one on Amazon. Unique and works really well.

441d21e218eb1ef6f1864b3ff2683b82.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The last couple years, I've almost completely stopped carrying IWB, found with the right high riding holster and cover garment you can conceal OWB well enough, and it's a ton more comfortable. Used to go with leather, before kydex was popular, loved the Desantis speed scabbard, but it does take more maintenence, squeaks, and it flexes, which can be good or bad depending on where it flexes. I found a local company that made a great Kydex holster, Vigi-tac, they are similar to the Raven Hackathorn design, but have several improvements. They were sold through Trop gun shop, molded 80/20 most of the shape is twards the outside, they ride really high and close, the holster is shaped well to clear controls, good adjustable retension with a fast draw after snapping the pistol loose, no squeaks or rattles. My G27 holster barely hangs below the belt line, it conceals under a polo shirt, even the G19 holster conceals well, hangs down about the same as my old leather G27 holsters did. The rigidity of kydex is what allows the pistol to sit so high, and practically requires a stiff reinforced belt to help pull the grip inward. The holster isn't molded to the exact gun shape, and fully contains the muzzle, so even if a little pokes out, it doesn't scream "gun". Only downside is the guy stopped making them, but Trop bought the equipment, and molds holsters on-site, and any of the old pre-molded holsters are on a near permenent 50% off (about 30-$40 now).

Attachments

• 20161205_150432.jpg
      20161205_150432.jpg
      87.3 KB · Views: 142

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    IWB kydex is for noobs and those who rarely, if ever carried for more than an hour or so. Save that hard earned $27.50, add it to another $60 and buy a nice brand name OWB leather holster and learn how to carry concealed.

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    The last couple years, I've almost completely stopped carrying IWB, found with the right high riding holster and cover garment you can conceal OWB well enough, and it's a ton more comfortable. Used to go with leather, before kydex was popular, loved the Desantis speed scabbard, but it does take more maintenence, squeaks, and it flexes, which can be good or bad depending on where it flexes. I found a local company that made a great Kydex holster, Vigi-tac, they are similar to the Raven Hackathorn design, but have several improvements. They were sold through Trop gun shop, molded 80/20 most of the shape is twards the outside, they ride really high and close, the holster is shaped well to clear controls, good adjustable retension with a fast draw after snapping the pistol loose, no squeaks or rattles. My G27 holster barely hangs below the belt line, it conceals under a polo shirt, even the G19 holster conceals well, hangs down about the same as my old leather G27 holsters did. The rigidity of kydex is what allows the pistol to sit so high, and practically requires a stiff reinforced belt to help pull the grip inward. The holster isn't molded to the exact gun shape, and fully contains the muzzle, so even if a little pokes out, it doesn't scream "gun". Only downside is the guy stopped making them, but Trop bought the equipment, and molds holsters on-site, and any of the old pre-molded holsters are on a near permenent 50% off (about 30-$40 now).

I was a fan of Vigitac too. But sadly the guy making them at Trop parted ways. They are doing in house IWB only now. No mag carriers. Molded to any gun tho you can bring yours in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    This seems to be a good place to ask: When removing a leather holster from a belt, do you unsnap the loops or run the belt through them? I prefer the former, but fear that over time the loops will crack from continuous stress. Both of my leather holsters were made by Ron Graham out of Portland, Oregon.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    This seems to be a good place to ask: When removing a leather holster from a belt, do you unsnap the loops or run the belt through them? I prefer the former, but fear that over time the loops will crack from continuous stress. Both of my leather holsters were made by Ron Graham out of Portland, Oregon.

Unsnap what "loops"? You mean on those iwb leather holsters?

It shouldn't matter. Those loops unsnap so that you can remove the holster w/pistol without removing your belt if you need to. I have never seen a decent, unsalted/dry rotted piece of leather crack. A good holster leather should out live you. I'd worry more about those "plastic" straps cracking before leather.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter

It shouldn't matter. Those loops unsnap so that you can remove the holster w/pistol without removing your belt if you need to. I have never seen a decent, unsalted/dry rotted piece of leather crack. A good holster leather should out live you. I'd worry more about those "plastic" straps cracking before leather.
    You always like the smell of leather...and the sound of the whip!

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD

Thanks for the reply. Yes, as to your question. I’ve seen my share of extremely dry, cracked leather, but admittedly as it pertained to poor saddle maintenance. Was thinking along the same line re holsters. I have a custom one by Dave Workman. The leather is much heavier (if that’s a proper description) than Graham’s. That I agree will outlast me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom