• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    Good catch. But do you care to venture a guess on how many times an en banc decision has been revisited by the entire court in the 9th circuit . . . . or ANY circuit court of appeals?

Oh I realize the chances of it happening are smaller than the chances of the Obama Justice Department indicting Hillary over her numerous crimes, but it is still one more step in the process.

And I think this step is unique to the 9th Circuit since all the other circuits do a full-court for every en banc, but the 9th only does 11 judge panels instead of the full 29 judge court.

fishertodd

ΜΟΛΏΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    May 12, 2013
    This is why you need mechanism, not words, to change things properly.

The only way to prevent the government from trampling upon the rights of minority populations ("minority" here merely means "less that 50% of the population", and has nothing to do with race or any of that) is to embed into the Constitution a direct capability for minority populations to overturn laws that would trample upon them.

Jury nullification anyone? But I know the unfortunate reality of the situation, even among the most vocal members of our gun rights-touting community. I am referring to those who decry their loss of freedoms and then look for every opportunity and excuse to avoid this most important area of civic responsibility. Just consider that if every jury panel had at least one Second Amendment supporter on it, all laws that impose restrictions on the Second Amendment (or any other right for that matter) would become essentially null and void. (Actually, any law which violates the Constitution is null and void from the moment of its passage; however, this is a philosophical detail that does not detract from the point I am trying to make). Don't gun owners comprise at least 10 percent of the population?

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Charles is screwed too. The 9th Circuit clearly said it does not matter what manner of carry there is, open or concealed, the government can regulate that carry outside the home any way they want to other than a total ban. So even if you win open carry, you lose because they will require a "good cause" for you to get a permit to do so from the government.

So the legal eagles need to come up with better arguments because this line of arguments will get most guns banned and nobody will be able to leave their house with them. We need a strong argument for keeping and bearing any arm we can bear WITHOUT any government permission whatsoever. Otherwise, we get this crap from the courts stuffed with Clinton and now Obama judges.

Which is why they need to start using more equation to LGBT civil rights, along with drawing parallels to peace officers, use of traditional militia (and the Militia Act, yep I said it), and the 1A equation with TPM restrictions that are mainly put in place to prevent mass disturbances during large gatherings.

Theory:
    In settled case law pertaining to the filming of police officers and other public officials in public places, many citizens were charged in violation of "wire taping laws." While there is no expectation of privacy in public and no right to privacy in the Constitution, the coverage of those laws was both outside the scope of the free press protections affording in the First Amendment. Further, it was outside the intentions of the general law used to make the charge. To force someone to have press credentials to operate a camera in a public space, smacks of the natural rights that are protected to The People, whom employee their leaders and public servants.

If a known citizen A were to have witnessed a horrific, wrongful police involved arrested, yet lacked a cell phone camera to record the video, would that person be disbarred from writing an op-ed in their local paper, simply because they lack "good and substantial" reason to be issued press credentials? Or, what about the entrepreneurial photographer whom is trying to build his first website with content procured in public without 'consent'? He does not work for any institution (NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, Fox). He does not work in assumed risk position (White House Correspondent, War Correspondent, Documentary Filmmaker covering civil unrest), even though he may carry tens of thousands of dollars worth of photo and videographical equipment. His content is not published in print, only on the web, thus the legacy media has no bearing upon the 'newly invented distribution method.' No one can, nor will issue him a "press credential" to allow him greater access to the Time, Places, and Manners of generating his content. If this citizen is to become successful, is he required to film and depict all of his ideas, stories in the confines of his Hollywood basement using a green screen and public domain footage?

So too is it here. To disbar one from the ability to exercise their right which is codified and defined, inclusive of bear, yet limited to the confines of one's property lines, not only borders along insanity, but runs afoul of the legislative intent. The legislative intent of "just cause" requirements are routed in response to acts of civil disobedience by radical operators, freedmen, and racial segregation (cite). Forcing citizens of "good moral standing" to provide their own "just cause" for permission of a guaranteed and fundamental right should be considered absurd. When the law fails to define what the requirement is, there is absolutely no basis for what legal justification can be used to deny an applicant.

If the photo journalist had to apply for a press credential to the White House, what are the chances that she or he could be provided the proper documentation to cover the President's major press conference on Iran? Lacking that "permit" does that then preclude them from ever carrying a camera in public in Yellowstone park?

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Jury nullification anyone? But I know the unfortunate reality of the situation, even among the most vocal members of our gun rights-touting community. I am referring to those who decry their loss of freedoms and then look for every opportunity and excuse to avoid this most important area of civic responsibility. Just consider that if every jury panel had at least one Second Amendment supporter on it, all laws that impose restrictions on the Second Amendment (or any other right for that matter) would become essentially null and void. (Actually, any law which violates the Constitution is null and void from the moment of its passage; however, this is a philosophical detail that does not detract from the point I am trying to make). Don't gun owners comprise at least 10 percent of the population?

Yeah, but don't you dare mention "jury nullification" because you'll be booted off that jury faster than you can spit. And don't try and talk to your fellow jurors about those prospects too. They'll replace you with the alternate.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Oh I realize the chances of it happening are smaller than the chances of the Obama Justice Department indicting Hillary over her numerous crimes, but it is still one more step in the process.

And I think this step is unique to the 9th Circuit since all the other circuits do a full-court for every en banc, but the 9th only does 11 judge panels instead of the full 29 judge court.

That's correct, but Local Rule 35-3 also provides that "In appropriate cases, the Court may order a rehearing by the full court following a hearing or rehearing en banc." That said, I don't recall that the 9th has *ever* had rehearing en banc by the full court since they started using en banc panels. But, I haven't researched it, so it may have happened. It would be a very big deal, if they did.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    That's correct, but Local Rule 35-3 also provides that "In appropriate cases, the Court may order a rehearing by the full court following a hearing or rehearing en banc." That said, I don't recall that the 9th has *ever* had rehearing en banc by the full court since they started using en banc panels. But, I haven't researched it, so it may have happened. It would be a very big deal, if they did.

:fingerscrossed:

This case has two things going for it: Guns, and the allowance of the last minute deux-ex-machina intervention by Harris after she declined to intervene earlier.

I am hoping against all hope there is the possibility that the SCT takes up the case on this narrow ground alone (intervention) and smacks them down for allowing this.

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    Another reason to vote FOR Trump, because you know Hillary WILL nominate someone that will be the 5th anti 2A vote.

And 6th and possibly the 7th. The impact of a hildebeast SCOTUS cannot be emphasized enough. Like Trump or hate him, the hildebeast will be immeasurably worse.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    :fingerscrossed:

This case has two things going for it: Guns, and the allowance of the last minute deux-ex-machina intervention by Harris after she declined to intervene earlier.

I am hoping against all hope there is the possibility that the SCT takes up the case on this narrow ground alone (intervention) and smacks them down for allowing this.

No chance of that, sorry. Plaintiffs would be nuts to seek cert on that ground, as it wouldn't make any difference in the judgment.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    No chance of that, sorry. Plaintiffs would be nuts to seek cert on that ground, as it wouldn't make any difference in the judgment.

So what happens in my case Baker? We asked for a permit to carry either concealed or open. The panel opinion acknowledged that in it opinion. However, my opinion just see peruta the lower court erred. Does it get reheard? If so what is the time table for something like that. Peruta is not binding on the open carry issue so I am a little unclear on that.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Nothing will really change until there is massive civil disobedience. And that won't happen because conservative types don't rally and organize like the leftist

I think we will see massive civil disobedience, but cloaked and invisible, like the mandatory registration efforts in NY and CT. After all, the operative word in concealed carry is concealed...

Master_P

May 27, 2015
    New strategy - Lose cases to win gun rights.

Step 1 - Facial challenges to OC bans in each shall-issue CCW state (IL, SC, FL). Each plaintiff must have a CCW, but wants to OC because, "that's the protected right" to bear arms outside the home.

Step 2 - Ask the court to strike down the state OC ban.

Courts loathe to invalidate state legislation. Hence there are three possible outcomes the court is inclined to offer:

a) OC is the protected 2A right. This is an outright win. CCW is not affected.

b) The state may ban OC and not infringe the Plaintiffs right to bear arms because ***the state already gave them a CCW***.

Isn't this what really we want? We lose the case, but get case law to challenge may-issue states like CA and NJ, where no manner of carry is available.

c) There is no right to bear arms whatsoever outside the home. This is a total loss, and not likely since most courts have held that you have some type of right to bear arms outside the home.

Two out of three isn't bad... oh and look! Each of those three states sits in a different Federal appellate district!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    New strategy - Lose cases to win gun rights.

Step 1 - Facial challenges to OC bans in each shall-issue CCW state (IL, SC, FL). Each plaintiff must have a CCW, but wants to OC because, "that's the protected right" to bear arms outside the home.

Step 2 - Ask the court to strike down the state OC ban.

Courts loathe to invalidate state legislation. Hence there are three possible outcomes the court is inclined to offer:

a) OC is the protected 2A right. This is an outright win. CCW is not affected.

b) The state may ban OC and not infringe the Plaintiffs right to bear arms because ***the state already gave them a CCW***.

Isn't this what really we want? We lose the case, but get case law to challenge may-issue states like CA and NJ, where no manner of carry is available.

c) There is no right to bear arms whatsoever outside the home. This is a total loss, and not likely since most courts have held that you have some type of right to bear arms outside the home.

Two out of three isn't bad... oh and look! Each of those three states sits in a different Federal appellate district!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

What we need are simply more cases in more venues to create deeper splits. State courts, some of which have ELECTED judges as opposed to those who serve for life (and get personal protection through bodyguards and CCWs but tell you that you have no such right) may yield better results.

I like the ones you just laid out (Norman v. FL was just heard by their Supreme Court BTW). I can only guess the gun rights orgs may be stretched thin since they've lost the overwhelming majority of cases so far.

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    At what point does an evolving societal view and norm abrogate a fundamental right and become the bounds of the right itself? The archaic view that open carry is honorable, even stylish, but that discreet, concealed carry is neccessarily underhanded and laden with ill intent is completely at odds with the current societal norm of licensed concealed carry.

The en banc Peruta ruling is in conflict with many states which have chosen licensed or unlicensed concealed carry as the means to exercise the right.

It is now considered boorish and in bad taste to open carry in public places, and it might even get you killed. Even in Texas (until recently), Florida, and many other states which freely license law abiding folks, open carry is illegal and concealed carry is the norm.

Would the ninth circuit force its will on states which don't allow open carry because it is the 'only protected form of the right' in their view?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    So what happens in my case Baker? We asked for a permit to carry either concealed or open. The panel opinion acknowledged that in it opinion. However, my opinion just see peruta the lower court erred. Does it get reheard? If so what is the time table for something like that. Peruta is not binding on the open carry issue so I am a little unclear on that.

Very good question. Your case, as I understand it, expressly challenged both the open carry ban and the concealed carry ban. So, as to the first, its a live case. So, did the state seek rehearing? I can't remember.

shacklefordbanks

Mar 27, 2013
    I am not happy that the 9th Circuit Court ruled that there was no constitutional right to carry a concealed weapon in public. I believe that the 9th Circuit Court should be ashamed of its self. There must be millions of people with no nefarious intentions whose personal protection can be enhanced by concealed carry. To say that these law abiding American citizens have no right to this enhanced personal protection is just wrong.

The 9th Circuit Court doubles down on its shame. The Peruta opinion is a major constitutional case that is important to all Americans. The seven members of the majority en banc Peruta panel prominently declared that they where fully prepared to say that the People must have a good cause to ask the Government for permission to exercise an enumerate Constitutional right. And the Government does not have grant you permission if it does not agree.

But it is for our on good as a matter of public safety. We might hurt ourselves.

How benevolent of them.

Shame on the 9th Circuit Court.

Shame on America if we let them get away with it.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Very good question. Your case, as I understand it, expressly challenged both the open carry ban and the concealed carry ban. So, as to the first, its a live case. So, did the state seek rehearing? I can't remember.

Yes the Defendants sought rehearing or en banc review. We filed the opposition. Right afterwards the Court stayed the petition pending Peruta.
    Could we get reheard by the same panel? Presumably O'Scallon would rule in our favor regarding open carry. Then maybe we would get heard en banc. I wonder if the Ninth has the staminia for that That sort of seems like what may happen to my very inexperienced eyes.

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Elections have consequences...
    This is more the consequences of law schools and who controls them. This is why every NRA and/or MDS member needs to also be a Federalist Society member. Elections determine little compared to who cultivates the pool of people from whom both sides have to pick from.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County

Could Clement keep all their names/voices straight, or would he stick with "Your Honor" for the entire argument? :eek:

Peruta should definitely ask for the whole court to hear his case. It would give O'Scannlain, Kozinski, etc, a chance to dissent from the denial of rehearing and call out every single fallacy in the opinion. Plus it could take a few months to write the dissents and get us closer to having a 9th Justice.

ETA: Apparently the 9th tried 15-member en bancs so it would be more than half the active judges, and switched back to 11-member panels due to logistical issues. Source

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom