• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Looking for a bb/pellet gun to have at the house for rodent discouragement and bb shooting for my grandsons. I'm not looking for high end at all, but i don't want something that is going to crap out in a short time. I could buy the crosman 760 pump as long it will last but don't mind spending up to $150 if the quality warrants it. I do want the bb capability since cub scouts only shoot bb guns and want to allow my grandsons to practice.

Thanks.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Looking for a bb/pellet gun to have at the house for rodent discouragement and bb shooting for my grandsons. I'm not looking for high end at all, but i don't want something that is going to crap out in a short time. I could buy the crosman 760 pump as long it will last but don't mind spending up to $150 if the quality warrants it. I do want the bb capability since cub scouts only shoot bb guns and want to allow my grandsons to practice.

Thanks.

I just brought home a Beretta bb co2 pistol today i like dang thing looks to real 19 round removable mag yes i said 19 rounds sorry it felt good saying that living in Maryland

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

Thanks.

Take care of it, don't see why it wouldn't. That is a classic and good shooter at a bargain. Nice never needing to have CO2 cartridges handy.

I just brought home a Beretta bb co2 pistol today i like dang thing looks to real 19 round removable mag yes i said 19 rounds sorry it felt good saying that living in Maryland

The one with auto selector? I have that one, and I wish my 9mm pistols were as reliable. Thing will spit out 18 rds in couple seconds and has never failed. Of course they don't have to eject anything, just feed. It does indeed look real, and operates pretty much like the real one including hammer drop safety. Set it on a table right in front of near anyone and they'd never suspect it's a BB gun. They make so many of these BB guns looking identical to real guns.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I'd get a .22 piston Gamo for rodents. It's been much more reliable vs. the .177 Gamo I use and both were miles better than the cheaper stuff.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    BB's are .177

My Gamo .177 spring powered is kind of erratic for taking out small game. The .177 pellets won't down a starling but the .22 knocks them flat. The spring .177 has a ton of recoil compared to the piston gun. I don't think steel BB's will ruin a .177 Gamo. A piston .177 gamo would be a good compromise. You'll need to cock the action for little ones either way and I like lead vs. steel against metal reactive targets in the yard.

Perhaps pick up an Airsoft rifle for the kids. 6mm plastic BB's hit pretty hard against steel targets and make a satisfying 'thwack' too. They can be pretty accurate as well without spending a lot of money. The safety factor is also better for leery folks. My sons friends were taught firearm basics with airsoft rifles and pistols.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Pyramid Air and some of the other online dealers are well worth a look, great selection and their search options should help you narrow it down. Also, a reason to order from them (sign up for email alerts to get the next good sale) is to get lead BB's, should shoot more accurate than the typical BB's.

They also have a "target" Red Ryder (think that is right) that gets great reviews made to shoot the lead BB's.

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    BB's are .177

My Gamo .177 spring powered is kind of erratic for taking out small game. The .177 pellets won't down a starling but the .22 knocks them flat. The spring .177 has a ton of recoil compared to the piston gun. I don't think steel BB's will ruin a .177 Gamo. A piston .177 gamo would be a good compromise. You'll need to cock the action for little ones either way and I like lead vs. steel against metal reactive targets in the yard.

Perhaps pick up an Airsoft rifle for the kids. 6mm plastic BB's hit pretty hard against steel targets and make a satisfying 'thwack' too. They can be pretty accurate as well without spending a lot of money. The safety factor is also better for leery folks. My sons friends were taught firearm basics with airsoft rifles and pistols.

Something is wrong with your gun, or your aiming point if you can't down a starling with a .177.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    That's a shame. They were the Cadillac of the 1970's. I guess the current ones are a lot of plastic. Everything on mine is Wood and metal.

I'm not saying they are bad, i keep seeing bad reviews and don't know if they are accurate. I'm hoping People here have them and give trustworthy reviews.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I'm not saying they are bad, i keep seeing bad reviews and don't know if they are accurate. I'm hoping People here have them and give trustworthy reviews.

IMO, They are as bad as reviews say.

I bought one about 8 years ago... it felt about as sturdy as a supersoaker and almost as accurate. I returned it and bought a break-barrel pellet gun (Crosman G1 Extreme), which was quite decent. Solidly made, quite heavy and accurate.

I believe what Schipperke said is probably correct... they were originally a quality product but have been relegated to an entry-level toy... same name and basic design as before but inferior materials and qc. The price (ranging from $27 to $35) would seem to support that.

I don't remember what I paid for it, but I remember the G1 was $99 on sale at Dick's.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    IMO, They are as bad as reviews say.

I bought one about 8 years ago... it felt about as sturdy as a supersoaker and almost as accurate. I returned it and bought a break-barrel pellet gun (Crosman G1 Extreme), which was quite decent. Solidly made, quite heavy and accurate.

I believe what Schipperke said is probably correct... they were originally a quality product but have been relegated to an entry-level toy... same name and basic design as before but inferior materials and qc. The price (ranging from $27 to $35) would seem to support that.

I don't remember what I paid for it, but I remember the G1 was $99 on sale at Dick's.

Thanks for the info. I'll move up the scale.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    From my experiences Benjamin is very good, it's a Crosman brand but it's a far step above the cheaper guns like the 760. Crosman also has excellent customer service, they have a real factory based up in New York with several hundred employees. They're not just an importer although they do import a lot of their guns. I would avoid Gamo.

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    From my experiences Benjamin is very good, it's a Crosman brand but it's a far step above the cheaper guns like the 760. Crosman also has excellent customer service, they have a real factory based up in New York with several hundred employees. They're not just an importer although they do import a lot of their guns. I would avoid Gamo.

I don't think any of the Benji's have BB capability. (one of his requirements)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom