The Colt Cobra reborn: a legend rides again (2017 model release)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    You're very welcome. I'm hoping to get some time to go to Heritage in September to do a more proper testing and update with target pics then.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    One of my acquaintances handled one. The trigger was bad in both DA and SA. There was a gap between the shroud and frame. The finish was bad. Hammer and trigger were flash chromed MIM. Shallow rollmarks. It goes on but I discounted the gun at the gap.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Look it up. The roster listing is unambiguous, especially given the long history of the Cobra variants (and related Colt revolvers, like the Detective Specials, that are also roster approved). Maryland FFLs are thus selling them and buyers are getting 77R approvals.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I like old Colts, but I just think the company has lost it. Don't know if they were getting too fat on government contracts, but it seems they ignored the civilian market for too long. S&W makes great revolvers as well as autos, but Colt just doesn't have a good product anymore. They are living in the past and their products are way too expensive for the average guy.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Stunningly ugly finish for a Colt. I immediately noticed the big gap between the barrel and frame too. I guess if it's cheap enough and reliable it would be ok. Certainly doesn't compare with the Colt King Cobra or Colt Pythons that I lusted over in my youth.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Look it up. The roster listing is unambiguous, especially given the long history of the Cobra variants (and related Colt revolvers, like the Detective Specials, that are also roster approved). Maryland FFLs are thus selling them and buyers are getting 77R approvals.

:thumbsup: thanks!!

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Stunningly ugly finish for a Colt. I immediately noticed the big gap between the barrel and frame too. I guess if it's cheap enough and reliable it would be ok. Certainly doesn't compare with the Colt King Cobra or Colt Pythons that I lusted over in my youth.

I haven't shot a new Cobra but have handled it. Yes...I'm not fond of the finish...but S&W make some revolvers the same way and it reminds me too much of a Charter Arms. The little barrel gap is designed that way (why I don't know), and the piece is designed for modern construction methods with a minimum of hand fitting which runs the costs up. It's just a sign of the times.

Other than the finish, it has one of the best triggers one will ever try. I don't like the rubber grips but better ones are coming on to the market.

The best thing is that it holds six rounds in a cylinder scarcely larger than the competition's five-shot models. If you put it on a cost per round basis, it's not appreciably more expensive per chamber than competitive makes...maybe even less expensive per chamber.

It's not the Colt of old...no more hand fitting and exquisite polishing...but no one really does that anymore and in today's marketplace and today's generation of gun buyers that isn't much of a priority.

If you think the new Cobra is ugly because of its finish...take a look at some of the Agents, Commando Specials and Peacekeepers from the 1980s. That is ugly!

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    That was my invention...at least I never heard it anywhere else. It would be a good way for Colt to market it against the 5-shot competition.

You read it here first. I'm not holding out hope for royalties for the marketing idea.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Oh my....an original Colt Cobra in .38 Special (1973 vintage) available today at United Gun Shop in Rockville for $675

https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=4988869&postcount=889

I would want the vintage Colt for all the reasons: investment value, old-school workmanship, etc.

First, some history, then some wiki:

Jack Ruby used a Colt Cobra .38 to kill Lee Harvey Oswald on November 24, 1963 as Dallas, Texas law enforcement officials were transporting Oswald from the city jail to the county jail.[7] The infamous gun was purchased for $220,000 at an auction held by Herman Darvick Autograph Auctions in New York City on December 26, 1991 by collector Anthony V. Pugliese III of Delray Beach, Florida. It was consigned by Jack Ruby's brother, Earl Ruby.[8]

The Cobra was made in two models: the First Model, made from 1950-1971 and weighing 15 ounces unloaded with 2-inch barrel, and an improved Second Model, made from 1972-1981, recognizable by its shrouded ejector rod, with an unloaded weight of 16 ounces. The Cobra is the same overall size and configuration as the famous Colt Detective Special and uses the same size "D" frame, except that the Cobra's frame is constructed of lightweight aluminum alloy as compared to the all-steel frame of the Detective Special. In the mid-1960s, the Detective Special's and Cobra's grip frame was shortened to the same size as that of the Agent. The Cobra was produced in calibers .38 Special, 32 Colt New Police, .22 LR, and a rare few in .38 S&W. The .38 Special Cobra was available in 2, 3, 4, and 5 inch barrel lengths. The .32 caliber version was available in 2- and 3-inch barrel lengths. The .22 LR Cobra was available only with the 3-inch barrel.

Full Disclosure: after putting up this post, I turned around and put a 24 hold on it. Going by to look at it this afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom