• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jumpmaster!

Aug 28, 2014
    about to order mine. All paperwork ready to send. How long was it? 30 days?

Nathan, I dropped my order form in the mail on Friday the 11th and the rifle was delivered the following Thursday. I was not expecting it to arrive so quickly.

Jumpmaster!

Aug 28, 2014
    Update: I found a correct wartime "EMcF" stock online and some matching handguards at a local gunshow to replace the CMP stock. The cartouches are faint but visible and the stock bears some trench art cut into the wood. Some lonely GI carved the name "Gisele" on one side and used a bullet point to add "Lois M" on the other side. The stock shows all of the wear and tear of wartime use and is a big improvement over the bland CMP wood. I also added an original single-slot gas plug and am looking for a wartime canvas sling. The history of these old warhorses really appeals to me.

Attachments

• IMG_2222.jpg
      IMG_2222.jpg
      161.4 KB · Views: 306

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Be very careful. They can become very addicting and before you know it you'll have more than a dozen.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    There ya go, much better! While the new stock was pretty it had zero character or history. That's what I enjoy in my military issue examples.

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    Just added another Garand to the family today, my 4th.
    This one is a Springfield March 1945 with the original barrel, measuring M-2, T-3. The stock in in excellent condition albeit Birch.
    Quick turn around, 13 days, order to delivery.
    Can't wait for range day. :D

Jumpmaster!

Aug 28, 2014
    Just added another Garand to the family today, my 4th.
    This one is a Springfield March 1945 with the original barrel, measuring M-2, T-3. The stock in in excellent condition albeit Birch.
    Quick turn around, 13 days, order to delivery.
    Can't wait for range day. :D

It's always nice to get another M1!

Jumpmaster!

Aug 28, 2014
    Wow, what a beautiful rifle. The new stock makes it look like a special grade.

The wood is flawless but I have since replaced it with a correct wartime stock covered in dents and dings, just the way I like 'em. I wore the SOCOM patch to Desert Storm when I was assigned to the 4th PsyOps Group. AATW!

airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    I feel exactly the same way!

Have to agree with you on the stock Jumpmaster. Just give me the beat up and dinged example, as long as it's not cracked horribly.

ATW! (spent the first few years of my career at Fort Bragg with the now defunct Fury BCT of the 82D)

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I don't get it, I have a CMP Garand and have no desire for another. I've got plenty of other stuff in the safe. What's wrong with me? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Just ordered a service grade from CMP. The last one I bought was in 84. I hope they test fire them. The one I got ejected on the 7 th round. Turned out to be a weak ejector spring so I replaced all the springs. It shot from a rest 3 inches at 200 yards. I decided to put NM sights do some accuracy mods (kept the barrel) at the suggestion of the smith. He recommend shoot it out. The stock fits in hard. With Sierra 168 gr boat tails it about an inch and a half at 200 yards. It's my pride and joy. Links almost new with tiger stripe stock. Hope my next pick is at least a shooter.

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    The more I shoot mine, the more I like it. Get a gong.

Just ordered a service grade from CMP. The last one I bought was in 84. I hope they test fire them. The one I got ejected on the 7 th round. Turned out to be a weak ejector spring so I replaced all the springs. It shot from a rest 3 inches at 200 yards. I decided to put NM sights do some accuracy mods (kept the barrel) at the suggestion of the smith. He recommend shoot it out. The stock fits in hard. With Sierra 168 gr boat tails it about an inch and a half at 200 yards. It's my pride and joy. Links almost new with tiger stripe stock. Hope my next pick is at least a shooter.

That's good shooting. What kind/amount powder you using?

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    The more I shoot mine, the more I like it. Get a gong.

That's good shooting. What kind/amount powder you using?

I need to check my records but 42 or 44 gr of 4895 comes to mind. I haven't reloaded for it in a while. with match primers new brass, flared (reamed flash holes). I once used 3031 40 gr but I think it was too hard on the op rod. When they say use powder around 4895 burn rate they mean it. Each charge weighed individually.
    To be truthful an Armorer a retired Marine did the shooting at lake Elsinore. Unfortunately Evans just passed from Cancer. It shoots better than me. He built quite and enterprise out in California from his humble beginnings. Today I can barely see 200 yards through a peep. He's the one that said hell I'd leave it. That barrel is fine. I'm sure the tight fitting action helps. I like shooting it better than my SA NM M1A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom