• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pk64f100

Cold Dead hands
    Aug 24, 2013
    Carroll Co Md
    I have owned a leatherman multi-tool for yrs and have been thru two in the last aprox 10 yrs one was stolen and one broke which was repaired at no costs to me other than postage. These tools have been great especially in a pinch when I do not have a full toolbox with me. I also own a Gerber which I like but not as much. Doeas anyone own any other manufacturer multi-tool and if so what do you own and how do you like them?

My latest purchase which just replaced my 1st orig Leatherman:
    Leatherman 830160 Surge Pocket Multitool with Nylon/Leather Sheath

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I, too, own a Gerber. Specifically a Recoil. I'm not as fond of it as I am my Dad's plain old Leatherman. The spring action on my recoil is a pain to reset so that you can put it back in the pouch. Despite that I carry it every day, mind as well since I own it...

PIT BULL

Mar 5, 2013
    I own no other multi-tool,I prefer the "original" Leatherman.

AGREE 100%. I have had the ORIGINAL for at least 15+ years. My wife bought me a Leatherman Wave years ago, but I have always preferred the ORIGINAL.

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    I've got 3 full sized Leatherman tools, and a small Squirt P4. The latest addition was the MUT in Black Oxide and wow... what a great piece. Got the additional bit kit to go with it and it makes the ultimate hard use (and range use) multi-tool.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I EDC a Skeletool CX with a larger folder, and keep a Surge with my pack, Gave the MUT to Smokey last year, the Gerbers were cheap, and work, but have nowhere near the quality or design of the Leathermans, and lack interchangeable bits. The only other tools I have seen that look like I might carry are the Emerson EDC, or the multitasker, although I doubt they would kick my current leathermans out of my pocket as both are a bit more specialized.

IMAG1263.jpg

IMAG1266.jpg

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I have the original Leatherman and I like it, but I do t love it. Personally I hate how you have to open another tool to allow your first to fold back in.

I'm considering a replacement for everyday, but my first one will be the Multitasker. An AR specific multitool will be very handy at the range.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    My first multi was the original Leatherman Supertool. I got it when I was like 7-8. I cut many a lawns to save up. I absolutely love it...I have something like 5 of them now. I also have the ST200 and ST300. I have at least one of these models...Wave, Squirt, Micra, Charge ALX, Charge TTi, Sidekick, Core, Crush, Skeletool, and I am probably missing some.

About two years ago I stopped carrying my TTi after a decade and a half of only Leathermans. It isn't that their quality is bad by any means...but they are a long cry from the original Supertool and original Wave models, which were really game changers. Just handling an original SuperTool and then a new Charge...the ST is heavier built with a far stronger and reliable lock. The other issue I have with most modern Leathermans is the liner locking mechanism used on the one-handed knives. They are flimsy liner locks, they quickly develop play, and they are prone to lock failure if a cut is made that happens to put pressure on the lock. While I rarely use a knife on a multi, I like having a fully-serrated blade I can trust. I have a scar on my hand from a ALX that failed when I was using it to carve a piece of wood.

I purchased Gerber and SOG models but wasn't a fan of the models I had. Some people absolutely swear by them. I don't have enough experience to comment. I also have a Spyderco SpyderWrench...nice but not really my style.

I currently carry a Victorinox Swiss Tool Spirit Plus (serrated blade) with a bit kit, micro screwdriver, handle, and detachable parts...when carrying on me versus my bag, just the multi. IMO it's one of the finest products made and unbeatable for EDC (and especially given you can find them on Amazon for $55-70).

With multis/slippies, there is a ton of personal preference present. For me, my pick is the SwissTool Spirit.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    I carry an SOG PowerLock EOD. The tools on the SOGs are replaceable and mostly interchangeable. For example I switched out the C4 Spike for a saw and 1/4" drive. I always liked the action on the powerlock; you can open the pliers like a butterfly knife and the gear system of the pliers give impressive squeeze-torque and grip.

Attachments

• IMG_2528.jpg
      IMG_2528.jpg
      51.3 KB · Views: 524

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I currently carry a Victorinox Swiss Tool Spirit Plus (serrated blade) with a bit kit, micro screwdriver, handle, and detachable parts...when carrying on me versus my bag, just the multi. IMO it's one of the finest products made and unbeatable for EDC (and especially given you can find them on Amazon for $55-70).

With multis/slippies, there is a ton of personal preference present. For me, my pick is the SwissTool Spirit.

I have one of these and I love it.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I had a Leatherman for quite a few years until I lost it a year or so back. I liked it a lot. I also have 2 Gerber Multis. One is just OK...but the other is actually my favorite multi-tool. One other brand I have is kind'a cheap, but does work well. That's the Winchester carried in Walmart. My son has one after after using it a couple times, I bought one to keep in my glove box in my truck.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I found an old Schrade at the end of my driveway that had been driven over and into the gravel. Washed it up, a little 3-in-1 and it has been in my tacklebox/hunting pack for the past 10 years.
    ST1N.jpg

As the Schrade is a little big to carry around, I have a Gerber that I have had longer than the Schrade but forget where I got it.
    Multi-Plier-600-Bluntnose-Stainless_fulljpg.jpg

Both are reliable and still going strong.

CPT_Ethanolic

Sep 18, 2013
    3 things I always have on my tactical belt - my M9, extra magazine, and my Leatherman. Can't live without the multi tool. I've also broke one in the past and Leatherman replaced it even though it was years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom