Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old July 19th, 2018, 08:21 PM #1

Question Jeep CJ8 shopping & ownership

Iíve always loved Jeep CJ 7ís and 8ís since my childhood.

Iím in a position to get one and before I acquire one I am looking for a shop within 75 miles of Bethesda that could be my go to for maintenance and a few upgrades. Perhaps input on the buy...yes I do know that I should avoid one with structural rust issues (seen or unseen).

Will be getting a CJ8 due to family size; Iíd like to put a 3rd row in and extend the roll cage back.

Any other Jeep CJ guys have input?

Any recommendations on a shop come to mind?

NRA & SAF Life Member / MSI Member
Maryland Designated Collector / MD HQL
Utah Permit Holder
Ham Tech
IDPA, GSSF & USPSA

md123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2018, 08:38 PM #2
Extinguished member

Extinguished member

I’ve loved me some Jeeps in the day.

CJ-5. CJ-7. Old school Grand Wagoneer.

Take it from a guy who’s had a bunch of vehicles. Get the best, newest Toyota LandCruiser you can afford. When you said third row, it suggests family. If you’re a single guy, go ahead and Jeep it. Otherwise, get a Crusher.

I was really fond of Jeep, then I bought my first Crusher once I was a family guy. I’ll never forget getting t-boned at an intersection by a gal who ran a red light and hit us doing in excess of 45. They pretty much had to cut her out of her four door sedan. The cops asked who she hit. I said it was me... The cop couldn’t believe it. She impacted at the drivers door pillar and back. It sprung the passenger door about 3/4 inch and messed up the rocker panel pretty good. We drove away. My daughter was in the back seat. Not a bruise or broken bone.

Family=Land Cruiser. It will take you anywhere you need to go...safely and comfortably. The Jeep will scratch your macho itch. It did for me. The Crusher will surround you with comfort and safety...not to mention it will absorb the miles gracefully and never let you down.

FTR...I started Crusher love with a new 88. Then later a 2000. Now, my retirement gift to myself is my 1984.

The more folks I meet, the more I like my dogs.

Those who would give up their freedom for security will end up with neither...
Nnztg8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2018, 08:47 PM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnztg8r View Post
Iíve loved me some Jeeps in the day.

CJ-5. CJ-7. Old school Grand Wagoneer.

Take it from a guy whoís had a bunch of vehicles. Get the best, newest Toyota LandCruiser you can afford. When you said third row, it suggests family. If youíre a single guy, go ahead and Jeep it. Otherwise, get a Crusher.

I was really fond of Jeep, then I bought my first Crusher once I was a family guy. Iíll never forget getting t-boned at an intersection by a gal who ran a red light and hit us doing in excess of 45. They pretty much had to cut her out of her four door sedan. The cops asked who she hit. I said it was me... The cop couldnít believe it. She impacted at the drivers door pillar and back. It sprung the passenger door about 3/4 inch and messed up the rocker panel pretty good. We drove away. My daughter was in the back seat. Not a bruise or broken bone.

Family=Land Cruiser. It will take you anywhere you need to go...safely and comfortably. The Jeep will scratch your macho itch. It did for me. The Crusher will surround you with comfort and safety...not to mention it will absorb the miles gracefully and never let you down.

FTR...I started Crusher love with a new 88. Then later a 2000. Now, my retirement gift to myself is my 1984.
Agree on big safe vehicles! My wife has a Tahoe and I drive a Grand Cherokee Overland.

This would be for weekend sports and trips to pool / ice cream shop. Probably wonít see 40 mph or trail.

Utah Permit Holder
Ham Tech
IDPA, GSSF & USPSA

Old July 19th, 2018, 08:57 PM #4
Extinguished member

Extinguished member

Roger. Copy.

Best of luck to you!

The more folks I meet, the more I like my dogs.

Those who would give up their freedom for security will end up with neither...
Nnztg8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2018, 08:29 AM #5
Big Brother is Watching

Big Brother is Watching

Hey brother.

I too am a CJ-8 guy.

I have a 81 that’s almost on the road. Needs a fuel tank and brake lines replaced.

And a 84 Alaskan CJ-8 Poastal (only 175 built) sitting under a tarp. Waiting to be worked on.

Just need the motivation to start working on them.

PA CCW Holder
NRA Life
NRA RSO
4H Rifle, Archery Instructor
MD Designated Collector
BRONZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2018, 09:18 AM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONZ View Post
Hey brother.

I too am a CJ-8 guy.

I have a 81 thatís almost on the road. Needs a fuel tank and brake lines replaced.

And a 84 Alaskan CJ-8 Poastal (only 175 built) sitting under a tarp. Waiting to be worked on.

Just need the motivation to start working on them.
The postal ones are really amazing to see...so rare. Good luck getting them going.

Utah Permit Holder
Ham Tech
IDPA, GSSF & USPSA

Old July 20th, 2018, 09:39 AM #7

Fantastic Jeeps. Word of caution they are money pits and finding a good example is not cheap and having a shop work on it is going to be $$$$$$$$$$$$s. You may be close the new Jeep JL pickup in dollars by the time you are done if you are trying to make a family vehicle out of it. Also safety is a concern, safe yes but no where near a modern vehicle if you are going to use it to tool around with a pack of kids even with a roll cage.

Last I checked the market for a well restored or low-rust example was $25 to $40k. If you are going to modify extensively you may want to try to find one of the few remaining with a solid frame and retub it as replacement bodies are available.

Below is mine that me and my father put back together a couple years ago. If I get some extra cash I am getting ready to do a refresh on it.

Paid $2500 for it in the 2000s and probably have another $7k plus a huge amount of multiple peoples hours in it.
Attached Images

Jimbob2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2018, 12:43 PM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob2.0 View Post
Fantastic Jeeps. Word of caution they are money pits and finding a good example is not cheap and having a shop work on it is going to be $$$$$$$$$$$$s. You may be close the new Jeep JL pickup in dollars by the time you are done if you are trying to make a family vehicle out of it. Also safety is a concern, safe yes but no where near a modern vehicle if you are going to use it to tool around with a pack of kids even with a roll cage.

Last I checked the market for a well restored or low-rust example was $25 to $40k. If you are going to modify extensively you may want to try to find one of the few remaining with a solid frame and retub it as replacement bodies are available.

Below is mine that me and my father put back together a couple years ago. If I get some extra cash I am getting ready to do a refresh on it.

Paid $2500 for it in the 2000s and probably have another $7k plus a huge amount of multiple peoples hours in it.
Good advice here and dually noted.

The ones Iím looking at are $30-35k and basically ready to go.

Utah Permit Holder
Ham Tech
IDPA, GSSF & USPSA

Old July 20th, 2018, 01:14 PM #9

To answer your question, Chewy's in My Airy does lots of work on older cars. He'd probably be a good place to take it for service.
Old July 20th, 2018, 01:18 PM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by md123 View Post
Good advice here and dually noted.

The ones Iím looking at are $30-35k and basically ready to go.
You are in the right range. Only thing I would add a little more to the safety issue, these really are not any safer than a CJ7. Long wheelbase helps a little but the entire ability of the vehicle to resist damage is frame and a little from the rollbar. The 800 or so extra pounds may be actually working against you as you are just wheeling more mass (F=MV) plenty safe for offroad with a good cage and 5 point harnesses and better seat anchoring. OnroadÖÖÖ...not so good. They are just a product of their age.

That said I had a Dodge Ram pull out infront of me in an old YJ a decade or so ago. Structurally very similar. Never made it to the brake peddle at highway speed. Walked away with some persistent back and neck injuries but I did walk away!
Jimbob2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports

Tags
jeep