• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I've got cataracts in both eyes. Left eye is quite severe, right eye is starting to become annoying. I've got an eye doc, but want the best. Anyone know who they would consider the best? Or should I be looking for someone outside the area?

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I had both eyes done this summer for the same reason. Dr. Mark Whitten performed the surgery in Leonardtown at St. Mary's Hospital. Been wearing glasses for 45 years, now I can actually see. He has an office in Charlotte Hall, medical center behind the Dairy Queen. I did a lot of research of doctors in our area that perform these surgeries, his name kept coming up as the best. I opted for the newer replacement lenses that not only give you perfect distance eyesight but also close up. While the reading feature has not proven so far to be as good as I had hoped, distance vision is better than I had hoped for. I can actually hit targets at 100 yards with iron sights. Funny that I was researching Lazik surgery, which would have cost me close to $4k out of pocket, but I developed the cataracts that was covered almost all by my insurance. You can send me a private message if you want to ask any other questions about the surgery. I am 57, bit young for cataracts but it runs in my family.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    If you really want the best since its your eyes I would go out of the area and travel to the Wilmer Eye Institute at John Hopkins Hospital or their clinic in Beth MD. I went to them for both my eye surgeries. IMO its worth traveling since its your eyes and you only have 2 of them as well.

miker/t

Aug 11, 2007
    Waldorf, MD
    I'll second the recommendation for Dr. Whitten. He did my Lasik 2 weeks ago and I couldn't be happier with the results. From the first time I contacted his office through this morning for my 2 week follow up, everyone in the office has been outstanding. Dr. Whitten explains everything that is happening and what is to be expected at every step.
    Even though I went to him for Lasik, I would imagine that you would have the same experience with cataract surgery.

Hunterjjd

Jun 29, 2011
    Whitten did my cataracts this year. Hopkin's eye center is great but I was so happy to be close to home when my surgery was done

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Just had my Dad at Wilmer yesterday for a repair of his eyelid from skin cancer surgery. Could not have asked for better treatment, from the receptionist who greeted us at 0545, to the nurse who took him out to the car upon release. Beyond first class!!

The only downside is it's Bloomburg Central...down to only sugar-free sodas in the Cafe.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Mostly sugar free. The Nurses if you talk nicely will show you
    the secret sugar machines. :innocent0:D
    They offered my dad two choices when he was coming out of anesthesia......water or DIET Shasta Ginger Ale........whatever happened to ice chips???

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

JJakes

Aug 26, 2015
    Wilmer is #3? In volume? Patient satisfaction? Probably not for low cost...

Cataract is a very simple surgery. If you had major issues, it may make sense to use Wilmer. Otherwise, it's not really necessary.

Maria Scott is one of the best (eye) surgeons in the state. But she's expensive, in Annapolis, and runs her practice like a factory - you're a number, not a patient.

Mike Summerfield at Washington Eye Institute in Riverdale Park is fantastic, reasonably priced and just a good, decent guy. He's not in Southern Maryland but if you don't like the recommendations for Whitman or someone else closer, it's worth driving for. You'll likely only need to go a few times (first office visit, surgery, follow-up appt.)

Good luck whoever you choose. You'll be glad you'll have your sight back.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Lasik and cataract surgeries are not the same. Not even close.

You have a point I have no context. Feel free to your opinion and your eyesight choices. Every case is different trust me.

Conclusion

It is important to put this new technology into proper perspective. Traditional cataract surgery is very effective and successful. People who do not want to invest out-of-pocket money in laser cataract surgery can still feel confident about the traditional approach.

But if you want the best possible vision, laser cataract surgery is appealing. A more accurate incision, capsulotomy and astigmatic correction may help you achieve your goal of less dependence on glasses after cataract surgery.

To decide if laser cataract surgery is the best choice for you, ask your cataract surgeon for more information

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/laser-cataract-surgery.htm

JJakes

Aug 26, 2015
    You have a point I have no context. Feel free to your opinion and your eyesight choices. Every case is different trust me.

You pay more for laser but all it does is put more money in the doc's pockets. Good surgeons get the same results with traditional surgery. There's really no reason to use laser. Unless you just really like your surgeon and you have extra funds laying around. Again, cataract surgery is a simple surgery. Mostly it's used to make the incision, which most surgeons do traditionally thousands of times successfully without the laser.

A good, honest eye doctor will tell you this. A good doctor, who also happens to be a savvy businessperson, will say you NEED to have laser. One way they do this is to say if you want mono-focus lenses, you CAN use the traditional surgery but if you want Multi-focal lenses, they HAVE to use the laser (which costs more). This is not true. It's the same surgery with either lens. Neither requires the laser.

Be careful of the Multi-focal lenses, too. They give a lot of people halos at night, especially problematic when driving. You may be better off choosing mono vision (one lens for near sight and one for far) if your brain can handle it or just choosing one and wearing glasses for the other. No halos. And less expensive.

But find a recommended doc, ask lots of questions and go with your gut.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Washington Eye Physicians and Surgeons (formerly Alper, Berler & Schwartz) in Bethesda has taken care of my family's eye problems, including both parents' cataracts, since the '60's or '70's. If it were me, I would go to them or Wilmer.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD

I've had vitrectomies in each eye and cataract surgery in one. I'm due to have cataract surgery in my other eye later this year. Believe me, I've done the research. Many suspect LASIK (which I had years prior) caused my initial problems that led to my vitrectomies.

Do your own research and then make your own choices.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

The list of surgeons you linked to was for Lasik surgeons. And as noted, Lasik and laser cataract surgery are not the same procedure.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Do your own research and then make your own choices.

My case is different. m'kay?
    Doctor detected the cataract, affirmed by a surgeon. and yes. Johns Hopkins agrees. I made my decision based on my needs. Everyone is different.

Thank You for understanding.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    My case is different. m'kay?
    Doctor detected the cataract, affirmed by a surgeon. and yes. Johns Hopkins agrees. I made my decision based on my needs. Everyone is different.

Thank You for understanding.

Overreact much? I was just clarifying that cataract surgery and LASIK have absolutely no relationship. There is cataract surgery that involves using a laser to cut the cornea but the rest of the surgery is the same. Relax, I meant nothing personal. My comments were to the masses not directed towards you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom