• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigpops

Open Shooters Unite!!
    Sep 30, 2010
    SoMd.
    It is hard to believe that December will mark two years of planning and work to get the range built. We are somewhat astonished that the building/permitting process takes this long, but we know that the end product is going to be very worth it. We are also overwhelmed at the support and interest this project has generated within the community, for that we are so very grateful!

For the outsider, it must look like this project has stalled and not made progress because we are still waiting for the grading permit to begin. From our perspective, things are taking off and everything is starting to happen very quickly! So we want to update everyone on what has been taking place recently and share some of the following details:

- A year ago we contracted a road study and the county determined that the road was approximately 6 inches too narrow on a 450ft stretch. We were going to have to pay to redo the road and widen it to comply with code prior to being able to occupy the building. This was a deal breaker as that much roadwork was out of the question. However, we found out that the road was on the county schedule to be resurfaced in June 2017…the first time in approximately 15 years. Last month the redone road was measured and met the county requirement!

-The county has a development program called Technical Development Rights (TDR’s). It’s their way to slow the rural expansion and prevent too much development. To get our permits we needed to acquire 1 additional TDR so we requested help from anyone who had extra TDR’s to barter. We genuinely thank those who offered them! What we didn’t know is that lifting a TDR from one property and tagging it to a different property could take several months causing more delays. Then, from out of the blue we received a message from John Edwards asking us to contact him….Quality Built Homes had TDR’s available and already pre-staged for transfer. As of last week the TDR Transfer is complete. Thank you Quality Built Homes!

-Gene and Wayne of Little Silences Rest have been doing an outstanding job to get us this far, and as of this summer we have an approved site plan! This information has already been turned over to ABH Excavation, and once we have a grading permit and bond, they are ready to do all the prep work.

This is just a little insight to everything that has been taking place over the past few months. Once we have our building permit we will share information on the other major parties that will be instrumental in getting this range built.

As a side note, we will not be taking memberships until we are approximately 90 days from opening but we will announce it as soon as we reach that point. Again, thank you for your support and we hope to have some great updates soon!

Sincerely,

Steve and Cindi Thomas

Flat Broke Shooters LLC

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Thank you for posting the update. Very much looking forward to becoming a member. Will be so nice to have a range run by professionals so close to home. Amazing at the obstacles you have to fight thru. Seems so easy for another liquor store to be built in Southern Maryland by contrast.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    Thank you for posting the update. Very much looking forward to becoming a member. Will be so nice to have a range run by professionals so close to home. Amazing at the obstacles you have to fight thru. Seems so easy for another liquor store to be built in Southern Maryland by contrast.

And how!

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Man! That road thing sounds like a HUGE load of BS! Glad that worked out the way it did!

If I recall correctly you plan on have rental handguns correct?

Bigpops

Open Shooters Unite!!
    Sep 30, 2010
    SoMd.
    Yes sir. We will have the most popular - M&P's, Glock, CZ, etc. at first. Then the cool stuff like bazookas, Barrett's and such to follow! :)

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I saw on FB recently that you were conducting a class for children, a get acquainted with, safety and use of firearms. Where are these classes being conducted at? While I can teach my kids, a trained professional seems to get things thru to them without the "aw Dad" responses I sometimes get.

Bigpops

Open Shooters Unite!!
    Sep 30, 2010
    SoMd.
    I saw on FB recently that you were conducting a class for children, a get acquainted with, safety and use of firearms. Where are these classes being conducted at? While I can teach my kids, a trained professional seems to get things thru to them without the "aw Dad" responses I sometimes get.

on our private range
    :)

Bigpops

Open Shooters Unite!!
    Sep 30, 2010
    SoMd.
    For those following our progress here, I apologize for the lack of comms. We have had delay after delay especially with our weather (75 plus inches of wetness)

After 3 years of planning, purchasing, laughing, crying, etc......we have gone VERTICAL! 4 tier of block was laid yesterday.

We are hoping to have our grand opening this spring! Hope to see you there!

Steve

Bigpops

Open Shooters Unite!!
    Sep 30, 2010
    SoMd.
    Progress! Flat Broke Shooters FTC is coming alive!

Attachments

• 50717561_2217740008450993_9053976211713163264_n.jpg
      50717561_2217740008450993_9053976211713163264_n.jpg
      109.4 KB · Views: 603

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    What type of bullet traps and ventilation system are you using? And who designed the ventilation system?
    Just curious as I oversee the maintenance of a 45 year old indoor range in DC an was curious of which system you are going with.

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    Targetworx will be doing all of the interior of the range and it will have a rubber bullet trap. For ventilation we are using Carey's Small Arms Range system. :)
    Thanks. I will check them out. Always doing market research. Wouldn't mind if at all possible a few construction visit during the trap and ventilation installation.
    We are running a Mancom targeting system and an Action Target(who has bought Mancom)deceleration trap with the auger bullet removal system and custom Hepa filtration systems.

Tony

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    Looking at their website Carey's is actually a company I wanted to look at our existing system. So please let me know when they are in town.
    I will send you my contact info in a PM if that is ok with you.

Thanks,
    Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom