• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 5-0Chief

Oct 30, 2017
    Great Mills, MD
    Hi all.

I did a search and was unable to find an answer, but are there any locations open to the public that I can take my kids to do some plinking or to shoot 2L, melons, pins etc?

Static shooting is well and good but looking to make it a bit more fun. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chief

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I'd like to find such a place myself. I'm dating myself, but, I can remember Pop taking us out to what would someday become Montgomery Village or off of Seven Locks Road for a day of plinking. This was the late 1960's, and those areas were in the sticks.

5-0Chief

Oct 30, 2017
    Great Mills, MD
    That is definitely something I'd be interested in getting them in too. I'm new to MD so not too sure on what the regulations are. Is that something we can just go in to the woods and do? Obviously away from public areas and housing. I'm from Los Angeles so never had this opportunity as a kid and really would like to allow my kids to be able to.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    That is definitely something I'd be interested in getting them in too. I'm new to MD so not too sure on what the regulations are. Is that something we can just go in to the woods and do? Obviously away from public areas and housing. I'm from Los Angeles so never had this opportunity as a kid and really would like to allow my kids to be able to.

All land is considered private in Maryland. You need to have permission to use someone else's land.

In Southern Maryland, There is Myrtle Grove WMA in Charles County, where you can go target shooting.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Best thing to do is make a friend with some land. If you have any farmers in the area, strike up a friendship with them, ask them if you can show your kids around their farm so they can appreciate what it takes to grow food and live off the land... AFTER you've established yourself, then broach the subject of wanting to teach your kids how to safely handle and respect firearms but not having a place to do it... see where it goes.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I've got good news for you, and bad news .

The bad news is that its not close.

Monogahela Nat'l Forest in WV . Allows "dispersed target shooting " , unlike Md State Forests, and the closer Geo Washington NF . Those are target shooting only on approved shooting ranges . The Mon NF allows informal target shooting ( done safely , not withing certain distances of developed recreational areas , etc ) .

Meanwhile comparitively closer to home ;
    I haven't yet shot there , but from reading on MDS , Delmarva Sporting Clays is somewhat open minded about alternative targets. I'm sure someone will supply first hand details .

moparmike610

Feb 28, 2017
    Hughesville
    All land is considered private in Maryland. You need to have permission to use someone else's land.

In Southern Maryland, There is Myrtle Grove WMA in Charles County, where you can go target shooting.

For Myrtle Grove anyone under the age of 18 needs a hunter safety card and yes they do check from time to time.

I usually take my 12yr every other weekend

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom