• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Ok so open carry is aloud in MD as long as it does not raise a fuss right? How about carrying while doing a neighborhood watch? Im thinking about getting involved in that in my neighborhood but theres no way in HELLL I will do it without protection. We have had a few break-ins in my neighborhood, and theres a few shady characters, with plenty of shady situations. This is in the "great", "safe", pro soccer-mom, city of columbia. More break-ins in the last month then my previous neighborhood in jessup in 15 years...

How should I appraoch this? Is it even legal? I know that Im going to end up checking with my neighborhood association, but if open carrying isnt legal in this situation then Im not going to even bother. Why risk myself to try and protect others when I can stay home and protect my stuff? Know what I mean?

The3clipser

Mister Tea
    Nov 29, 2009
    I thought I read in another thread that OC was ok as long as it didnt raise an issue with surrounding people. Im very confused on the subject.

While I am unsure of the letter of the law, the general consensus is that a lot of people are not ok with OC and the cops would be called, guns would be drawn on you, and you would be arrested.

Having said that, OC on YOUR property is ok. Just make sure you know exactly where your lines end.

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    i may be wrong but i thought OC was illegal in MD

Essentially. Maryland requires a permit to carry a handgun, but makes no distinction between open and concealed carry. Therefore, MD is like Indiana where you have to have a permit in order to carry no matter what. As I understand it. Plus any number of restrictions they dream up that pertain to one's permit.

I'm not a lawyer, but I wouldn't recommend the OP bring up the idea in the first place to the neighborhood watch.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    While I am unsure of the letter of the law, the general consensus is that a lot of people are not ok with OC and the cops would be called, guns would be drawn on you, and you would be arrested.

Having said that, OC on YOUR property is ok. Just make sure you know exactly where your lines end.

Sounded to me he was saying OC while he strolls the neighborhood. Not good.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Well my thoughts were that I want to help out. I dont want anyone robbing me or my neighbors. If I can help, I dont mind and would be glad to do so. I live in the community too. However, Im not going to walk out in the dark when there have been multiple issues in my area without a way to protect myself. I can probably defend myself in a hand to hand situation but honestly...do we really think a perp(assuming its just 1) is going to go hand to hand....? I mean if Im not aloud to carry an item to defend myself, I can be like plenty of others and sit inside safely, with my own stuff where it is legal.

I wouldnt just go strolling out with a pistol strapped to my leg, I would clear it with the community assc. first but I wanted to see if it is even legal. The laws arent exactly clear, and there are many threads with many different ideas. Even the internet just made it more confusing.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    the general consensus is that a lot of people are not ok with OC .

Thats where it gets confusing. Everything I read says something like "if it would disturb others" then it becomes a problem. Hence why I would clear it with the neighborhood assc...I mean Id have to do that anyway to get involved with the neighborhood watch. But if its not legal...its not legal...good luck everyone else.

No bad intentions, just wanted to help.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    if you do not have a concealed carry permit issued by the MD State Police, you cannot carry outside your property regardless of what your homeowners association thinks.

'checking things' with your HOA or neighborhood group does nothing, please be clear on that. You will go to jail if you carry, open or concealed, in your neighborhood without permission from the MSP.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    In general, open carry of a handgun is illegal (except for the range, your property, etc.) unless you have a permit. That said, there are no laws prohibiting the open carry of an unloaded long gun that I am aware of. That isn't to say that it wouldn't get you arrested or even shot by your local cops, but technically it should be legal. Personally I would not open carry a long gun in MD for a whole plethora of reasons. And anyway, if you shot someone outside of your home you would get locked up for a very, very long time. Remember, MD is anything but a free state.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    In general, open carry of a handgun is illegal (except for the range, your property, etc.) unless you have a permit. That said, there are no laws prohibiting the open carry of an unloaded long gun that I am aware of. That isn't to say that it wouldn't get you arrested or even shot by your local cops, but technically it should be legal. Personally I would not open carry a long gun in MD for a whole plethora of reasons. And anyway, if you shot someone outside of your home you would get locked up for a very, very long time. Remember, MD is anything but a free state.

That makes the most sense out of everthing I've read. Thank you.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    if you do not have a concealed carry permit issued by the MD State Police, you cannot carry outside your property regardless of what your homeowners association thinks.

'checking things' with your HOA or neighborhood group does nothing, please be clear on that. You will go to jail if you carry, open or concealed, in your neighborhood without permission from the MSP.

Im clear, I think you were getting the wrong impression on what I was asking.

1st, make sure it is even legal to open carry. (found out its not, so this ends the process)
    2nd, IF it was legal, go to HOA, get involved with watch, ask if its ok to carry. By clearing it with them, they would be able to inform the community I assume.

I just wanted to clarify first, thats all.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    You already got the answer to the handgun question. Now I just wonder why you owuld want to join a neighborhood watch. the ones I've seen call the cops on EVERYTHING. Not saying they all do, but there are those people out there who are always waiting to call the cops even to get you a parking ticket. Don't be one of those people...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Md does make a distinction on open vs conceal in regards to Which Statute charged under ( not IF ) . Concealed carries more jail time. Md has some nasty case law about what consists of open vs concealed .
    As stated above open carry of hand gun is only allowed off your property in very specific circumstances , primarilly involving shooting ranges, and hunting related.
    Any sponsoring organization , and any LE dept will be 1000% opposed to any participents carrying, even were it legal.
    The way the concept works is primarily for you to be activly vigilent out your window, and poised to call Police in regards to suspicious activities. On any occasion of members going about in public, it will be strictly in groups, not as lone individuals.

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    The fact that you had to ask and actually thought it was legal to open carry in MD makes me wonder how long you have been a gun owner. I'm not trying to be a dick but WTF??? I guess you had enough sence to ask and not get yourself arrested or shot.

Maybe you need to go to a gun safety class or attend a handgun class by one of the Industry partners because your ignorance is a little alarming.

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    I would cut him some slack- MD laws are confusing enough as it is... O4RWon wasn't sure and he was smart enough to inquire with the right group of people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom