• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madmax7774

Nov 17, 2016
    Clarksburg
    Ok, I don't consider myself a tough guy, but on the other hand, I don't think i'm too much of a wimp either. Having said all that. Holy Geeze!!!!! The Keltec KSG shotgun is by far the single most painful firearm I have ever fired. I picked a Gen2 Gray KSG shotgun awhile back, put an Eotech site and magpul pistol grip on it, but hadn't gotten around to shooting it. Well today, when I taking out the MP5 to the Machine gun nest for the maiden voyage, I decided to play with the KSG as well. TMGN only let's you shoot slugs with a 12GA, so I picked up 5 boxes of the generic 2.75 inch slugs they had, loaded it up and tried it. To say that the recoil was brutal is a HUGE understatement. I used to own a Remington 870 express, and also have shot various 12GA skeet guns several times a year when I was living in Virginia. The KSG is nothing like those! This thing is just plain cruel. I was honestly only able to get off 5 rounds on my right shoulder before it became too much, and had to switch sides to the left shoulder. After 10 rounds I was done. Has anyone else fired one of these things? did you find it to be over the top with recoil??? Am I just getting old and soft??? I know 12GA has some kick to it, but I just don't remember it ever being this bad....
    :sad20:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Like my bro said when he lent me his 12 ga before I owned one: not my fault you did not keep it tight against your shoulder. I had a bruise for weeks. If not shouldered properly, 12 ga slugs are brutal. Even when shouldered corrrectly, they are ...less brutal.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    It ain’t the KSG. Any short, lightweight gun throwing those slugs is an obnoxious experience.

Have shot a friend's KSG with everything from birdshot to buckshot and in an adrenaline rush situation, I would t think twice. But stout slugs would require some real motivation!

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Slugs can be managed but they'll never be comfortable. Two tips: Pull the butt tight into your shoulder, and push forward hard with the other hand, like you're trying to stretch the gun in the middle. It's worth a try, anyway.

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    With the right training, it gets better...

Attachments

• Happy Gilmore.jpg
      Happy Gilmore.jpg
      32.5 KB · Views: 1,326

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    A Mossberg Shockwave is no fun with a slug either.

I came close to buying a KSG...wonder if it will chamber the little 1.5" Aguilla(sp) shells?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    A Mossberg Shockwave is no fun with a slug either.

I came close to buying a KSG...wonder if it will chamber the little 1.5" Aguilla(sp) shells?

Chambering is not the problem. If a shotgun has 3" chamber you can chamber anything shorter.

The problem with these short shells is feeding/ejecting, and in semi-autos insufficient pressure to cycle the action.

@3:17 you will see the two failures to feed.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    If I ever get time to go shooting, I want to try a KSG. I can't envision that it would fill any perceived hole in my collection but it is a neat gimmick.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What’s the butt pad like on them? That makes a huge difference with high recoiling guns. With my 870 express and a t-shirt I am usually done after 2 rounds of trap or Skeet. I can gift through a 3rd, but I know it is affecting my accuracy.

I removed the stock butt pad and out a grind to fit limb saver recoil pad on there. Now I can do 3 rounds in a t-shirt and my shoulder will be a little sore and I can manage a 4th without gritting in pain, but if I do I know I’ll be feeling it for a couple of days.

Slugs, sighting it in for deer season, 5 slugs and I’d have some tears in my eyes from the bench. Standing I can manage about 10-12 before it really hurts bad. Again, this is wearing just like a t-shirt or long sleeve shirt. With the better recoil pad I haven’t hit “too painful”, but then again I am still only running 5-10 slugs for sight in and make sure it’s all shooting fine. I still prefer to slip on my shoulder recoil pad for sighting it in or if I am wearing summer weight cloths and I am going to be shooting many rounds of trap or Skeet (or sporting clays).

My 20ga was the same way. Super hard recoil pad as it’s a 1960s Winchester 370 single shot. It tips the scale at a couple of ounces over 5lbs. It recoils HARDER than my 12ga 870. And I don’t mean because of the butt pad, I mean the free recoil velocity is higher because the thing is so much dang lighter. I’ve never shot anything heavier than #4 bird shot out of it, but it sucks after a couple rounds of trap. I also replaced the butt pad and now it’s a dream to shoot trap with and amazing in the field.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    sounds like a market ripe for a knoxx recoil absorbent butt stock pad.

put a knoxx stock on my 870 and can go through cases of slugs without an issue. its now the shotgun I use to introduce new shooters to skeet because it is so gentle.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    My 590 with knoxx was not too bad shooting 2.75 slugs. a little sore the next day, but I do have the frame to absorb things like that a little better. Have not tried since switching to the magpul stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom