• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    So looking at my distributors, the ammo shelves in the channel are stripped bare. People are hoarding ammo like it is toilet paper.

Except for one caliber... 357 Sig. That stuff is still available in the channel.
    Which tells me that nobody, absolutely nobody is shooting this stuff, or has it as a go-to gun.

I always kind of liked the idea. Sold my P239SAS in 357 Sig a few months ago. Think I'll sell my circa 1996 P229 as well. Too many calibers around already, and not worth the trouble to track the ammo and practice with it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So looking at my distributors, the ammo shelves in the channel are stripped bare. People are hoarding ammo like it is toilet paper.

Except for one caliber... 357 Sig. That stuff is still available in the channel.
    Which tells me that nobody, absolutely nobody is shooting this stuff, or has it as a go-to gun.

I always kind of liked the idea. Sold my P239SAS in 357 Sig a few months ago. Think I'll sell my circa 1996 P229 as well. Too many calibers around already, and not worth the trouble to track the ammo and practice with it.

It’s a nice round, but it’s never gonna take off like the 38 Super did.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Let's see a pic of that 229 :)

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    It'll come around again. Just need the right Youtuber to tell everyone it is the greatest. I'm intrigued by the round, however I've never pulled the trigger on a dedicated gun. I'd buy a used Glock 32 given the chance.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    It has a cult following. When you look for many guns chambered in 357sig, you'll notice they bring quite a bit more money. One thing i think alot of people overlook i how inherently accurate it is. Ive been contemplating picking up a 357sig barrel for my Steyr L40.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i have glock 31 (bedside) and 32 (stashed elsewhere in house and carry gun) in 357 sig. i prob have a case of various defense ammo and that should last me a lifetime or two. thinking that's the same scenario for others.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I like it. Carried a G33 and shot it a lot. Would have liked your 239 and the 229 does shoot easier than the glock. Practice ammo costs around $15/50, or did. Thanks to ammo jon and a friend who is issued it, i have a case or so, including a few boxes of gold dots and a few of fed hp. Oddly, maybe its a good time to shop? But most gun shops don’t stock it or if they do, not much of a selection.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I have a Glock in every caliber except 380. If the shelves were bare except 357 SIG I have 3 Glocks that I can use in the meantime. When Walmart cleared out their inventory it seemed like the only caliber left was 40SW which sold for cheaper than 9mm. Nice to have choices.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    It's an easy two caliber gun if you just pick up a .40 S&W barrel. .357 SIG is not difficult to reload and I have lots of once fired nickel plated brass. Having both calibers convinces me that I will never run out of handgun ammunition.

9mm certainly seems to be dominating the LE world, so along with all of the military contracts, I don't see any handgun caliber replacing 9mm in my lifetime. If I could only choose one handgun caliber, it would have to be 9mm.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    I have a P229 and P226 with .357 Sig barrels, had a P320 barrel for my 40 but ended up selling it. If I had a carry permit my 229 would be my daily carry, it's sitting here with Underwood Xtreme Defender in it and is a blast.

Might buy another P229 in it and a Legion P226, I wish Sig made more guns chambered in it instead of dropping it for more 9mm offerings.

Attachments

• 229.jpg
      229.jpg
      141.4 KB · Views: 565

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Definitely not dead. Certain rounds, the manufacturers only do a run periodically. Obviously, this generally applies to rounds that aren't as popular as others...

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    It’s a nice round, but it’s never gonna take off like the 38 Super did.

Yeah, but 38 Super wishes is was the hot selling round that is the 32 S&W Long.

And neither them can compare to the success of the 45 GAP

The 45 GAP must be a great round. This one time at the range, some women must have been shooting it because every time one of them took up a standing or prone firing position, all the guys would nudge, point and say, “Mind the GAP” or “Checkout the GAP on that one”.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    I love 357 sig! It’s my go to round. I have several pistols chambered for it. I also reload it. It’s a great round most people have no clue about it and that’s just fine for me. The secret service still uses it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom