• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moose&squirrel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 25, 2018
    So, I bought (actually paid for) a suppressor just before Christmas last year, got hung up I suppose during the government shut down, but my payment check (through the Suppressor Store) was cashed last February, and so I called the ATF number in West Virginny last week. My data was found, but no news on when the one guy who handles suppressor filings up there will approve me and send out the damned stamp. This is not my first suppressor, either. The person on the phone said "it takes about a year."

"It takes about a year." For what? I got my master's degree in two semesters, and that was a lot of work. What the hell are they doing up there?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    yep, a lot of us are in the same predicament.

The good news is that Dec/Jan apps are coming back so should not be much longer.

The bad news is that had you waited until July when they apparently added more staff, you might already be approved and have it in hand. Evidently new staff just picked up random new apps in July. Or, so the interwebs tells me.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Yup... I have one in jail from last Dec. A friend just got one back after 4 months. I think a trust takes longer than individual. I think the average is 9 to 10 months.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I am still waiting on a stamp I processed last Black Friday

I guess it takes what it takes, at least that’s what I tell myself

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I wish there was the technology to embed some sort of camera in the paperwork and record a time lapse of the journey. I'm sure it involves sitting in a pile for 11 months and 3 weeks. THen someone grabs it, writes a few things down and stuffs it in an envelope and off into the mail.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    NFA Branch has been chronically understaffed...and the FBI slow-rolls the background checks. If we had real representation in Congress (I know, but one can dream), there would be some redress.

I'm convinced ATF is sitting on a legal time bomb here. MGs, in particular, represent large sums of capital. An entry-level MAC-11 would make a down payment on a car. A prewar Thompson is close to a down payment on a house. Tying that much capital up in the transfer pipeline is arguably a 5th Amendment Taking. Particularly since they can run criminal records for people with felony charges in a timely manner...and doubly so when many NFA buyers have already been through the full background check.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Mine was less than 90, just picked up the other day.

Attachments

• 97B12E94-50D0-4E62-9BC8-EB757527E4E1.jpg
      97B12E94-50D0-4E62-9BC8-EB757527E4E1.jpg
      51.5 KB · Views: 172

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Allegedly, per Lanco Tactical, when they changed the NFA lock box from GA to OR this year, the people working apps from OR just started working whatever hit their desk after they were set up and running around May, hence the <90 day wait. Anything stuck in line from the old GA address had to wait for the skeleton crew left there to get to it. Not sure if it was sent from one office to another, or where each app goes from the time somebody gets it till they mail the stamp back, but I'm sure it is F-ing ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom