• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Have there been any rifle designs that utilized a button instead of a trigger for manipulation of the firing process?

I was just wondering about the best process for firing a weapon and wondered why the trigger is the preferred mechanical actuator. I also thought about placement and which finger would actually work best from a biomechanical process.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Certainly great things to explore.

Biomechanics, kinesiology, ergonomics, industrial engineering... All wonderful things.

To redefine the gun ... The shapes , the usual things in the usual places.... Very wild.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I think there is some sort of ammo that has an insulated electrode where the primer is normally located. It’s a large caliber used in some belt fed mini gun. I’ve seen it but cant recall where.

In general, I think it comes down to reliability. Surely there are dozens of ways to make something go bang but in the heat of battle you want the absolutely fewest moving parts and the most robust components. Buttons, batteries and circuits are just more components that can fail at the wrong time.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I would like an RPG mounted on my bumper and wired to the horn of my truck.
    Today would have been an especially fantastic day for that.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Shoot by wire ???

That's not dangerous at all......

I was thinking a button with a physical linkage to the sear/hammer, not electrical actuation.

What got me started pondering this issue was watching a video on proper trigger pull which involved placement of the finger on the trigger, sympathetic squeezing of the gun with the other fingers (it was a pistol video), and smoothly pulling it back without inducing yaw in the POA.

So after watching that, I just thought why in the hell do we use a mechanical device that requires so much practice to actuate correctly? Is there a simpler mechanism that we should be using instead? I figured a rifle would probably be an easier place to start as opposed to a handgun.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    I own a Winchester Thumbtrigger.
    Is something like that what you had in mind?

I have a breech loading, single shot, thumb trigger .22 that is not a Winchester. The instinctive way to load and close the breech causes the thumb trigger to be depressed and the rifle ‘fires’. Everyone handling the rifle does the same. It take concentration and attention to manipulate the breech safely. I have never put live ammo in this rifle. Yet.
    The change from something familiar could have a deadly learning curve.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I own a Winchester Thumbtrigger.
    Is something like that what you had in mind?

That is definitely a possibility and on the right track, but it still looks like a lever to me and I'm not sure the placement is ideal. My initial thought was an actual button like on a F-16 yoke.

Attachments

• yoke.jpg
      yoke.jpg
      66.7 KB · Views: 321

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Remington had an electronic rifle not too many years ago called the Etron-X. It had an electronic trigger and primer ignition and required special ammunition. That no one remembers it now speaks volumes on its impact in the market.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Just to drop a little mind blown moment on the party...

A 1911 trigger is a button.

It's a button you depress, not a lever.

Boom.

(Mic drop, walks away....)

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    I am really liking the concept of the electra muzzle loader. I have had several muzzle loader hang/no fires with deer in front of me. With electric ignition you could in theory just keep trying to fire back to back without any body movement. Only one on gun broker sigh. Should be pretty easy to retrofit by modifying a breach plug though.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Remington had an electronic rifle not too many years ago called the Etron-X. It had an electronic trigger and primer ignition and required special ammunition. That no one remembers it now speaks volumes on its impact in the market.

There is an article in my 1966 Gun Digest about a French shotgun which used electronic ignition for very fast lock time. The ammunition used special primers, and the battery was stored in the buttstock.

The writer found that ignition became sluggish in very cold weather, and the gun fell on the ground and refused to fire at all when a party of German hunters strolled nearby.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I saw a article about a muzzleloader that had electric ignition. It was a bench rest rifle. I think they wanted to isolate it from all body movement that might effect accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom