MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    Image1-2.jpg

Image2-3.jpg

Image4-3.jpg

Image3-3.jpg

Image5-2.jpg

I picked up my new rifle from 2A Sales on Friday, (thanks guys) and I took it for a test drive today. I thought I'd post some of my thoughts.

Quality: First off I have to say that I'm generally not a huge fan of Ruger. I have nothing against them but I wouldn't place them in a the same category as some of the other high end firearms. I have owned a few Rugers and in my experience the production quality seemed to be hit or miss. However I have to say I was totally impressed with the SR-556. The build quality is outstanding, it's as solid as a rock. There is absolutely no play between the upper and lower receiver. Normally there is a little play even after a receiver wedge is installed but the SR-556 was so solid that it felt like the upper and lower receiver was one solid piece. This thing is a tank.

Finish: The finish is above average, I would say it is comparable to a Bushmaster or RRA. The finish is consistent across the upper and lower receiver and matches the hand guards and accessories very well.

Stock: There was a slight wiggle in the factory M4 stock, which is normal but it has always bothered me so it was removed and replaced with a Magpul UBR.

Grip: The factory Hogue grip was very impressive, probably one of the best factory grips I've ever handled. However I personally like the look and feel of the Magpul MIAD (plus it matched my stock), so the Hogue grip was replaced.

Flash hider: The Ruger factory flash hider was also replaced with a standard A2 because I've been told that it has a tendency to kick up dust while in the prone position....plus I thought it looked like ass.

Bolt and Barrel: The bolt is chrome plated and the barrel is chrome lined, which made cleaning a breeze. I also have to add that one of the sand bags I was resting on broke and some of the sand got inside the upper receiver but the rifle never missed a beat. I'm not sure if that was due to the chrome plating or the gas piston system but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Gas Piston: The gas regulator has 4 settings that range from totally off (0) to all the way open (3). I ran the first mag on setting (1) and had three FTF / FTE. After that I moved the gas regulator to position 2 and put 200 rounds down range with no other issues. Some people have noted that the barrel and gas block seemed to run hotter than normal but I didn't really find it to be any worse than my DI AR. As for the dreaded carrier tilt that everyone is complaining about, I think it's much to do about nothing. I checked the rifle multiple times during the course of the day and I did notice that some of the finish was starting to wear in the first half inch of the buffer tube but it seemed to only wear to a point and then stopped getting any worse. Maybe I'll change my tune later but I really don't see the big deal. Cleaning the Gas system was also easy because of the simplicity of the design but the gas piston does get very dirty.

Trigger: There is no other way to put it, the trigger is atrocious. It came from the factory set at 9 pounds. Come on Ruger, really, 9 pounds? The trigger breaks clean and has no play but at 9 pounds it takes some getting used to. I'm hoping that it will loosen up a bit after break in, if not, it's getting replaced as well.

Controls: The controls are tight, no issues there.

Weight: The damn thing is heavy. 9.5 Pounds with the UBR , Eotech and an Empty mag. That's a little over a pound more than my equivalent DI rig. I also have to note that the SR-556 is a little front heavy with the factory stock, but with the UBR it's nicely balanced......but heavy none the less.

Accuracy: Considering the trigger weight I was thoroughly impressed with the rifles accuracy. I was able to bust clays at 50 and 100 yards with no problem and I was able to smack steal at 300 fairly consistently. Is it a sniper rifle capable of shooting golf balls at 500 yards, no but I would put it in the 2 MOA range with standard ammo.

Recoil: The Recoil was slightly less than a DI gun but that could be because of the additional weight.

Overview: In my opinion the SR-556 is one of the most well equipped "factory" rifles available today. I upgraded some of the parts because of personal preference but you could certainly buy a SR-556, slap some optics on it and be done without a second thought. Overall I was impressed. It is just a fun gun to shoot. The rifle does have some minor flaws like the trigger and overall weight but nothing that would prevent me from recommending it to a friend. A lot of people questioned Ruger for entering the AR market so late in the game but as far as I can tell they got it right.

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    The trigger can be fixed no pproblem. Either take to a smith and let them do some work on it. Or Just ubuy the upgraded trigger and put in your self. AR's fairly easy to work on. Not a whole lot to be problematic if you know what to look for.

That is one heavy beast!!! My Del-Ton pencil barrel 16" carbine weighs in just over 5 1/2 pounds! But mine is a (KISS rifle). My stag m4 kit comes in in about 7 with the m4 barrel and aimpoint stuck on it.

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    I have one too, i would agree with everything you posted, except mine does have play between the uppen and lower. I went with the Magpul ACS stock and kept the stock grip. I like the factory flash hinder, it reminds me of the M14 :D.

I am also running and Eotech one mine (517) plus a tango down VFG but will be swaping out to a Magpul VGF (is on the mail). Yes it is heavy, especially up front. I wanted to send mine to get cut to 14.5 but the barrel etching would be ruined. I have a little wear on the tube but nothing serious. From what i have read it will kind of stop after a 1k rounds or so. I still have to replace the bolt pin to a round one, because it has marred my upper a bit.

Does anyone know how to keep spare AA batteries on the Magpul ACS from rattleting(sp).

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I have one too, i would agree with everything you posted, except mine does have play between the uppen and lower. I went with the Magpul ACS stock and kept the stock grip. I like the factory flash hinder, it reminds me of the M14 :D.

I am also running and Eotech one mine (517) plus a tango down VFG but will be swaping out to a Magpul VGF (is on the mail). Yes it is heavy, especially up front. I wanted to send mine to get cut to 14.5 but the barrel etching would be ruined. I have a little wear on the tube but nothing serious. From what i have read it will kind of stop after a 1k rounds or so. I still have to replace the bolt pin to a round one, because it has marred my upper a bit.

Does anyone know how to keep spare AA batteries on the Magpul ACS from rattleting(sp).

Try wrapping them with a few rubber bands, or some thin foam packing.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County

have a pic of yours???

2Asales&Supplies

, , Up In Arms Since 2009
    Industry Partner
    Aug 5, 2009
    Great Review!!! :thumbsup: Looking for a job as the 2 A Sales minister of propaganda? Pay sucks but has great benefits. :D

Let me know if you want to try a Wilson Combat TTU (Tactical Trigger Unit) in that bad boy. It might just be the best drop in trigger available for AR style rifles.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    Great Review!!! :thumbsup: Looking for a job as the 2 A Sales minister of propaganda? Pay sucks but has great benefits. :D

lol. I don't think I would make a very good minister of propaganda. If the rifle sucked I would have given it a bad review.......but I may have left out where I got it :innocent0

I'll post a review of the SCAR as well.

Otter

Sep 25, 2009
    I love my SR-556... It is front heavy and I have considered throwing a Trijicon or other >4x scope on it for long range practice but I need more run and gun work with it before I do that. I currently have an EOTech on it like the one pictured along with a Magpul ACS stock, BAD Lever, etc... You can't go wrong with Magpul!

I did want to throw some advice into this thread - obviously with the piston driven system the majority of the cleaning will be up front. If you soak the gas regulator assembly in some Montana X-Treme Copper Killer it will make your cleaning much easier:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=525120

SR556C

Oct 17, 2010
    UBR Stock

Nice review Decoy. I was wondering, did you need to replace the buffer & spring when installing the UBR Stock. I read that the buffer & spring muct be replaced on some rifles when installing the UBR stock, but I was wondering if this was necessary for the SR556?

Thanks!

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    Nice review Decoy. I was wondering, did you need to replace the buffer & spring when installing the UBR Stock. I read that the buffer & spring muct be replaced on some rifles when installing the UBR stock, but I was wondering if this was necessary for the SR556?

Thanks!

I used the Ruger factory buffer and spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom