• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Major03

Ultimate Member
    Well...enough 300 BLK cases have failed to chamber in the Sinclair gauge for me to start considering neck turning to uniform my brass.

Besides, it's the next step in tinkering with reloads for me, and with my ever present compulsion to uniform my loads and squeeze out more accuracy...I'm about to take the plunge.

Since I'm looking at doing this with a substantial amount of brass, and I hate tedious hand work with case prep...what are folks suggestions for a tool / tools that'll make this easier?

Less concerned with budget, more concerned with a tool that'll automate this process to the extent that it can be automated and make it easier.

What are folks using / what are their experiences?

Thanks in advance!!!

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Thanks DanGuy48,

Does the Little Crow turn necks as well as trim? If it's just a trimmer, I'm covered there. Something like that for neck turning would be perfect.

The mini lathe, despite my statement about money not being the limiting factor, is a bit out of my comfort zone price wise...given that I'd be buying more than one if I ever wanted to start turning necks on .308 and 30'06...which I would like to.

Anyway...thanks for info.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Thanks DanGuy48,

Does the Little Crow turn necks as well as trim? If it's just a trimmer, I'm covered there. Something like that for neck turning would be perfect.

The mini lathe, despite my statement about money not being the limiting factor, is a bit out of my comfort zone price wise...given that I'd be buying more than one if I ever wanted to start turning necks on .308 and 30'06...which I would like to.

Anyway...thanks for info.

Ah, sorry, it's trimmer only. My bad, I read your original post as trimming.

Here's a link with articles on some options for neck turning.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/tag/neck-turning/

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Led me to order a 21st Century Lathe, and extra cutters, mandrels and expanders to cover all my rifle calibers. For any kind of volume case prep, it looks like the right tool for the job. If anyone is interested I'll post a review when it arrives.

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    Might be a dumb question but if you are making the 300 blackout could this be an issue with the die you use to make it? And is it with military brass which is generally thicker walled? Is your chamber in spec? Never seen anyone neck turn 300 blackout. I would use K&M Precision products

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Yep, I use Lake City brass. I’ve cut my own and purchased pre processed LC prepped on a dillon (according to the seller anyway) from two different sources.

Ironically, my own brass is less problematic (although the forming is a pain).

Its only a problem with the bullets I use for subs. Both Kings Shooter’s PC and Berry’s are .309. The 125 TNT and 110 varmageddons are .308. My supers all are fine. That extra .001 on my subs gives some problems in about 20% of my cases.

I was going to get into neck turning anyway for my .223 match ammo, and .308 long range ammo. I figured if I had a tool that made it less of a pain, why not take care of my 300 Blk sub issue as well?

The 21st century lathe does make it pretty quick and easy. It’s not cheap, but it’s great and isn't a lot more effort really, just an extra step. Admit that it's not for everyone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom