• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    I really want to buy a Stag 6.8 AR next. I have been told that I can purchase the upper and put it on my 5.56 lower. Is this true?

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Yes, as that was one option I considered before deciding to outright sell my AR. I also thought of just getting it in 7.62x39, but as I understand, the straight AR mags won't reliably feed that round.

I'm also interested to see how good these new bushmaster gas piston uppers are, and if they will eventually offer it in 6.8

HoChiWaWa

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    My friend wants to do this, I can only imagine it will just end up with him shooting it even less than he already does.

Its a neat round but unless your handloading its going to cost you a fortune.

I also don't really think its all that necessary, 5.56 performs quite well under the right conditions, the only place I can imagine you needing it is if you need your shorty AR at 100+ yards... 5.56 out of an 18+ " fragments nicely and leaves nasty wounds, out of the short barrels it fragments out to around 50 yards, more than enough for the close quarters it was designed for.

but yeah, the upper should go on your lower easily.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Hunting ehh.....that gets me thinking about all options available. I wonder what kind of performance you'd get with a .45 ACP upper using gold dots or hydrashok. I mean this would limit you to under 100 yard shots, but thats what you'd take most of the time anyway.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Heh, somehow I think some minor gunsmithing may be required to get an AR in 45-70.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Hunting ehh.....that gets me thinking about all options available. I wonder what kind of performance you'd get with a .45 ACP upper using gold dots or hydrashok. I mean this would limit you to under 100 yard shots, but thats what you'd take most of the time anyway.
    NOTE:

Hunting is vary dependent on the target that is being shot!

Being capable, and-or, adequate, may have a minimal influence, on being Legal!

The Complete 2006 - 2007 Guide to Hunting & Trapping (Maryland)

The Complete 2007 - 2008 Guide to Hunting & Trapping Will Be Posted in May 2007

SamW

Apr 2, 2007
    Western Md
    I believe you can get up to a 120 grain bullet for the 6.8 SPC. That very well make make a good hunting round Redneck17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom