• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Just finished this a couple weeks ago but didn't get a chance to test fire it until Friday. Romanian G kit built on a NodakSpud NDS-3 receiver. I redid the finish with Brownell's bake on GunKote, worked okay but will probably redo it with something else more durable eventually. Sanded and refinished the Romy stock with Minwax Gunstock finish. Added the US made Krink brake instead of the slant brake just for fun.

When I started it I had no intention of leaving the wood foregrip handguard on. I just didn't like the way it looked. I had plans to do an all polymer plum colored stock. But after I handled it with the foregrip, I had to admit it is so darn comfortable, especially on a short-stocked AK where it helps to snug the stock into your shoulder, that I kept it.

And the range report, 180 rounds of Wolf polymer-coated FMJ and Military Classic HP without a single malfunction, using a variety of mags including a crappy Promag that I've always had trouble with. I didn't measure the group sizes but once sighted in it seemed to be giving nice groups for an AK at 50 and 100 yards too.

newestakbuild006.jpg

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    I have a Sar-3 that I havent fired yet, I obtained that a year ago and it has been sitting in the Safe waiting for me to "call" her up ...

I would love to build my own one day and that is one sweet looking rifle that you have...

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    ...and, if I can piggyback onto xjronx's question, can you save any money building an AK this way (say vs. a WASR10), or is it strictly a labor of love?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I bought the receiver direct from NoDak for $55 shipped and transferred it through Vincent at Gideon's for 20 bucks plus 10.

More a labor of love. In the end you won't save a whole lot of money and it is a pain in the ass at times. The parts kit, the reciever, and shipping alone will be over 200 bucks. You also need access to some basic floor tools, a 20 ton press or better for the barrel pin is the biggest example, a basic Dremel is another. Just building one is not really cost-effective because of your startup costs in tools and such. The internet is also full of "I built my AK in three hours" stories. Well, good for them, but I never have. More like ten times that much. In a way it is still a money saver though because the time you spend building you won't be spending money on other gun things.

The real advantage is the pride in your own build and all the knowledge you'll pick up about guns while doing it. You can also pick and choose among what kit you want to build, a Polish side folder, a Yugo underfolder, a Romanian, etc. Not so much any more though since ATF started requiring the cutting of all imported barrels on kits last year. You also get a much nicer end product than a WASR, and I can say that because I have one. There's a joke in the AK community that WASR stands for What A Stinky Rifle (family-edited version :) ). I don't think they are that bad, in fact mine works great, but in my opinion the Vector or Arsenal AK's are worth the extra 150 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom