• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    Just got my Bulgarian 40 rd and 2 more Tapco 30rd in hand. Just need something to fill it with. LOL. Wideners is only shipping orders made on 11/10 and 11/12. Mine was made 11/19. 11 day delay according to them. ARGH! It shouldn't take that long should it? Or is the reality that they don't have the ammo in stock and are waiting for their stock to arrive and they are using the 10-11 day delay in shipping to buy them time. *shrug*

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    2 weeks to ship from AIM, ordered 11/12 i'll get it on 12/1. are you getting the mags off the internet to out of state or going to out of state shops? i gotta get ahold of some tapco's.

eapmai

Oct 29, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    Just picked mine up from the dealer this past Saturday.

My only concern is if I want to mount a scope. Without the side mounting bracket included I am not sure the best way to handle this.

Any ideas?

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    you need to stop following me around man... seriously lol. I placed my order from aim the same day. I got some tapco's last week, picked up 4 30 rounders

:tongue01:you got me beat on the mags, i only got 2 30rnd bulgarian's from the stateline pa show. i haven't gone out in search for anything since then. i blew all my cash on ammo:cool: i got 2 ar15 pmags and i still don't have anything else but a lower.
    i'm not buying anything else until after new years.
    did you get your order from the 12th yet?

simplegreen

Professional Nerd
    Our email conversation

I know you guys are more swamped than you can even ever remember, however i wanted to check on the status of orders number EXXXXXXXXXX and EXXXXXXXXXXX. Cant seem to get through to you guys via the phone. Thanks in advance.

E

XXXX is getting close, we are working on orders from the 12th now

Awesome thanks guys, keep up the fabulous work, you're picking up a lot of loyal customers in all this extra work. MDshooters.com is a buzz with all the good stuff you're doing, stay with it.

E

We will keep trying! Thanks and have a great Thanksgiving

Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    I get the 30rd and 40rd mags shipped to my "other" address in VA :)

There's a few choices for scope. One is an ultimak rail set which costs a bit of $$$. Another is a beryl type rail that sits over the middle. One that's gotten some good reviews is the LaRue Iron Dot which is a red dot sight that mounts to your regular iron sights. I might go that route if I do get a sight. It seems to be the most cost-effective method.

Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    OK, I finally went shooting today at the NRA range. Blew through 200 rounds. About 80 Hot Shot and the rest Winchester white box 7.62x39.

All I can say is WOW. It was pretty much dead on at 25 yards. I didn't even have to mess with any front sight adjustment at all.

I had 3 Tapco 30's, 1 Bulgarian 30, 1 Bulgarian 20, and 1 Bulgarian 40. All fed without any problems. I only had one issue with a Hot Shot that didn't clear the ejector completely so I had to pull it open after removing the mag. Other than that, my friends and I blew through 200 some rounds. One of my buddies served in the Bulgarian military and as he put it, slept with his AK-47 for 2 years. He loved the build quality of the IO and will be heading up to Dan's to pick up one soon.

This thing was pretty darn accurate using just the iron sights, I can't imagine adding an aftermarket Red Dot or Eotech to it. One thing I did notice was that the Galil handguard got very hot at some point. So I set it down and played with my friends Rock River AR-15 for a bit. The recoil wasn't too bad at all either. I heard so many stories about the recoil of the AK-47 and when I finally felt it for the first time, I was mildly surprised that it wasn't bad at all.

We'll probably go shooting again in a few weeks...I can't wait. The Ak-47 was such a hit among the 5 of us that went shooting that I think Dan might be getting a few more sales coming soon!

Last edited:

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    For my AK, I really want to try out the ultimak rail with my EOTech... But the IronDot looks interesting and it's not to exorbitantly priced

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Just picked mine up from the dealer this past Saturday.

My only concern is if I want to mount a scope. Without the side mounting bracket included I am not sure the best way to handle this.

Any ideas?

Ultimak gas tube if you want to use a red dot.

Or buy a the parts to add a side mounting rail from kalinka optics. And use russian scopes or bulgarian adapters.

If you are made of money, the krebs or dph arms "beryl style" rails are pretty nice and give you alot of options.

Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    Are AK's like AR's, in that parts are interchangeable? Could I pick up the IO AK and refit it with wood furniture for that classic AR look?

Yes you can. In fact, apparently, if you get it direct from IO, you can ask for the option of having the wood furniture installed instead of the black.

There are also suspicions that the IO AKM's are actually all made by RPG Arms down in Houston and IO is just reselling the RPG Arms AKM's. Some folks on another forum got their AKM direct from RPG Arms (the maker of the IO receiver) and found it almost exactly identical to the one I have, including the Galil handguard.

One thing I forgot to mention was the great Tapco trigger group already installed on the IO AKM. Great feel and touch.

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    i agree with dizzy. THe galil handguard is going away this christmas i really dont like the feel of it.

That said.. if anyone would like to fill me in on how to put the damn sling on, i'd be appreciative lol

i got the sling on friday night:party29: i'll see if i can figure out how to explain it...... just take the snap(JUST THE SNAP)... thru the stock.....bring it up and over(thru) the metal buckle.... snap it to the front:thumbsup:

i think thats the way, i'll double check when i get home and put some pics up.
    its pretty nice with the sling, it feels pretty badass having an ak strapped to your back....derka derka derka muhamid jihad:lol:

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    I've heard some grumblings about the mossberg barrel, since the ID is tighter than "standard". Basically they simply cut down a standard .308 barrel, so the ID is .308 instead of the warsaw standard of .311. From what I've heard it's not so much of a problem unless you hand load hot rounds, as the .003 difference just normally means only a slight pressure increase and more grab and wear with the rifling. I am no expert but curious to see what others think.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    nice floor too! ;)

Looks like Brazilian Red Cherry, although its hard to be totally sure with the lighting in the photo. If so, its the same as mine.

Nice AK. A buddy at work just bought his first one from Hal, and is now waiting to pick it up.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I've heard some grumblings about the mossberg barrel, since the ID is tighter than "standard". Basically they simply cut down a standard .308 barrel, so the ID is .308 instead of the warsaw standard of .311. From what I've heard it's not so much of a problem unless you hand load hot rounds, as the .003 difference just normally means only a slight pressure increase and more grab and wear with the rifling. I am no expert but curious to see what others think.

Don't you just love the govt.... Because clearly the US barrel is much less evil then the Yugo or Romy or w/e barrel :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom