Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old June 9th, 2010, 10:19 AM #11
For great Justice

For great Justice

most anything under $100 is probably made in the same chinese factory, they just use different magnification lenses on some, and put different decals on them depending on who is repackaging them. For cheap scopes, it is highly reccomended to stick with a low fixed power, they don't have as many issues as higher power scopes, and far less than the cheap variable power ones. For cheap glass, the Nikon prostaffs probably have the best optics, and are relatively rugged, but run about $100-$200 for basic models, under that, it really doesn't matter much.
"Unfortunately, freedom allows sh*theads to get away with stuff. You always know the mark of a coward. A coward hides behind freedom. A brave person stands in front of freedom and defends it for others."
-Henry Rollins
alucard0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 10:25 AM #12

I'm with treeguy and DZ et al. $40 won't get you into glass that is much better (and sometimes could be worse) than iron sights, IMHO. Under a hundred yards, if you've spent any time sighting in and practicing, I find iron sights to be more than adequate.

MSI Member
BeltBuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 12:22 PM #13
Gone living free now!!!

Gone living free now!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_in_md View Post
My recommendation is to spend at least $200 for a scope that will go on a deer rifle. Cheap scopes do not deal well with shock and vibration. Forget about the glass breaking; That probably will not happen. What will happen is much more annoying; the retical will break and you will not even know it until you fire a few dozen shots off a bench and realize that the groups shouldn't be 3 feet apart at 100 yards. Ask me how I know. If you can't afford a decent scope you should stick with iron sights. My 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltBuckle View Post
I'm with treeguy and DZ et al. $40 won't get you into glass that is much better (and sometimes could be worse) than iron sights, IMHO. Under a hundred yards, if you've spent any time sighting in and practicing, I find iron sights to be more than adequate.
I tend to agree I am frugal (aka cheap ) and I only have iron sights on all my guns except I did spend $20 bux on a red dot for my 10/22 but I was raise and taught on irons so I am decent with them.
mbz300sdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 12:35 PM #14

Another option if you don't want to spend much is the 5th generation Leapers scopes in fixed 4x or 6x. They're built to be very shock resistant and the absence of a lot of extra parts for a zoom tends to make them simple and reliable.
"I have been scientifically studying the traits and dispositions of the 'lower animals' (so-called), and contrasting them with the traits and dispositions of man. I find the result humiliating to me." -Mark Twain, 1896.
zoostation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 12:50 PM #15
Peanut Gallery

Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by squig View Post
Centerpoint scopes are designed for air rifles. I have one on a Gamo Whisper, in 3-9x40, and it suits that purpose very nicely. I havn't heard of anyone mounting them on actual firearms.
i have them both on 308 and 223.. they work great..
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:04 PM #16
Hits broadsides of barns

Hits broadsides of barns

Quote:
Originally Posted by squig View Post
Centerpoint scopes are designed for air rifles. I have one on a Gamo Whisper, in 3-9x40, and it suits that purpose very nicely. I havn't heard of anyone mounting them on actual firearms.
The one I picked up a Wally World says it's good up to .416 Rigby...of course if I owned a .416 Rigby I'm pretty sure I'd be able to afford something a little nicer for it than a Centerpoint Scope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake46319 View Post
Everything needs a bayonet lug. Everything.
Adams74Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:07 PM #17
Distinguished Pistol#1549

Distinguished Pistol#1549

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz300sdl View Post
I tend to agree I am frugal (aka cheap ) and I only have iron sights on all my guns except I did spend $20 bux on a red dot for my 10/22 but I was raise and taught on irons so I am decent with them.
My bad experience with a cheap scope was a $49 Simmons 3x9 scope on my Ruger 10/22. It worked great for about 1 year and then my Ruger started shooting huge groups...drove me nuts because there was no obvious visual damage. Even the retical looked visually okay. It now has a $199 Leoupold scope on it that has a lifetime warranty. I can only imagine how much sooner a cheap scope would break on a center fire rifle. Lesson learned - Pay once pain once, or do like you and use iron sights. It's tougher to get more reliable than iron sights.

Vice President Garrison Rifle and Revolver Club, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Second Amendment Foundation (Life Member), Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Association (Maryland State Pistol Team 2009-2011), 12th Precinct Club (2012 Team)
mike_in_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:17 PM #18

Location: Baltimore City born and bred, recently transplanted to Reisterstown.

Location: Baltimore City born and bred, recently transplanted to Reisterstown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams74Chevy View Post
The one I picked up a Wally World says it's good up to .416 Rigby...of course if I owned a .416 Rigby I'm pretty sure I'd be able to afford something a little nicer for it than a Centerpoint Scope.
Good point. I've never read up on them much, the one I have came mounted on the rifle when I bought it secondhand. The original owner mounted it as an upgrade, and works nicely for the shooting I do.
squig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 02:26 PM #19

Send a message via Yahoo to tosainu1

Send a message via Yahoo to tosainu1
Not to be a jerk or anything but as a hunter you have a responsibility to clearly see your target and what is behind it. There was a case in Virginia not too long where the guy mistook a white t shirt for the throat patch of a whitetail deer. If your not willing to spend decent money on a scope as well as binoculars then you have no business hunting in low light.
tosainu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 03:05 PM #20
Molon Labe

Molon Labe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosainu1 View Post
Not to be a jerk or anything but as a hunter you have a responsibility to clearly see your target and what is behind it. There was a case in Virginia not too long where the guy mistook a white t shirt for the throat patch of a whitetail deer. If your not willing to spend decent money on a scope as well as binoculars then you have no business hunting in low light.
That is just stupid. I am not a stupid hunter and i do not take shots at white objects. I know the rules and laws. I can clearly see a deer with a $1 pair of binoculars. Not talking about night hunting, but like 20 mins after sunset. I know my land and the rules and responsibilities. Using a cheap scope is not making me irresponsible... maybe less likely to get a perfect shot. but like i said I have never had a problem hitting 1" groupings at 100 yds. I did not come here looking for a lecture or have $500 scopes pushed on me. I just wanted some links to the best cheap scopes. There are thousands and thousands of hunters who have gone their whole lives without ever using a $500 scope. and plenty of deer have been taken with cheap scopes.
Biggie313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles