• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    He will be plenty happy....I told him he will be!

He would probably try to punch you in the throat, but knows if he did, you would shoot him!

Just kidding. Very friendly bunch there at ADS.

Ok, I emailed a bunch of my buddies, one or two might make it.

Very generous of you to offer this 'try it out first for free' approach. Are the JKD (Jeet) and grappling already happening, or are those new courses too?

Whiskey

Sep 28, 2012
    Crownsville, MD
    He would probably try to punch you in the throat, but knows if he did, you would shoot him!

Just kidding. Very friendly bunch there at ADS.

Ok, I emailed a bunch of my buddies, one or two might make it.

Very generous of you to offer this 'try it out first for free' approach. Are the JKD (Jeet) and grappling already happening, or are those new courses too?

JKD and Grappling are exisitng programs, they are included in this offer to get more folks from the "gun crowd" exposed to a broader range of combatives skills. I affectionately refer to this series of programs as the ADS Ninja School!

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    JKD and Grappling are exisitng programs, they are included in this offer to get more folks from the "gun crowd" exposed to a broader range of combatives skills. I affectionately refer to this series of programs as the ADS Ninja School!

Thats very cool. Will try to save my strength to at least sit in on both the JKD and grappling classes.

This is really exciting stuff, training like I know only exists in pieces on Fort Meade and a couple other (invite only) places.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    PT_zpszuolromg.jpg

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I might be interested once school is out. Time to see if any of that stuff I practiced some years ago has stuck.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    BeoBill, Charlie, either of you going to try to make it? A buddy called me the other day and asked if I recommended he wear street cloths or exercise clothes, I said sweatpants and a tee shirt. Bring water. The little mma and Krav I took, was a good idea to (eventually) get a mouth guard and a cup. But I think the Defense Fitness class will be mostly striking pads and other defensive drills to get the heart rate up.

Krav was good for that too, eh, Norton?

First free class is tomorrow.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I've heard that (injury) from everyone who does Krav for any length of time. They really 'push' people to their limits. This Defense Fitness is more 'at your own pace'.

Hope you can make it.

The killer for me was all of the plyometric pushups and the ground crawling. It aggravated an old injury to the point of being crippled.

Whiskey

Sep 28, 2012
    Crownsville, MD
    right about the attire. Comfortable and flexible is ideal for this class. I've done it in business clothes before and not having athletic style clothing is not a good excuse for not coming. If you intend to stay for the JKD and ultimately grappling, groin pro and a mouthguard are a pretty good idea. This is low impact stuff until each person gets into their own groove.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Whiskey

Sep 28, 2012
    Crownsville, MD
    Not getting hurt in training is pretty important to me these days, especially since injuries just stopped getting better at some point in my old age. This is an important consideration in training regardless of age.

Last edited:

Deep Thought

Jan 27, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    I took the opportunity to attend on Monday and for any of you on the fence about it just give it a try. JD is clearly an excellent instructor and was patient with me as I am a beginner and in probably the worst shape of my life. Not only was it great exercise, it was lots of fun! And definitely go for exercise clothes over street clothes. Highly recommend!

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    This was outstanding training. The class pushed me beyond my capabilities, and that is exactly what I need. Particularly regarding the strength/endurance routines, my inner "go" does not bring out my endurance for modified pushups. At the same time, the instructor did not belittle or call out our failures to keep up--admittedly, I might have been too tired to notice if they did. Not being very coordinated (no one ever accused me of being a great dancer), I had difficulty with the routines. However, I felt my muscle memory catching up as the class went on and expect to improve rapidly. I worked late today could not make this evening's session, but I will be back. One recommendation for future students--bring flat soled shoes. You will be doing a lot of pivoting on the balls of your feet. In the end, I left a lot of weakness on the floor that day, and possibly some body fat. Huge thanks to the ADS instructors.

MarylandJeet

May 26, 2016
    Glad you all enjoyed the sessions Monday and Wednesday.

Just a reminder, there is no session this coming Monday for Memorial Day.

At the same time, the instructor did not belittle or call out our failures to keep up--admittedly, I might have been too tired to notice if they did.

Nor will we. That's a blatantly ******* move. Action Strength is not a bootcamp. We aren't drill instructors. You are coming of your own volition, so there is already the desire inside of you to make a change, to improve your fitness, to gain the attributes necessary to defend yourself should the time come. That is your choice, and we will do everything we can to support and encourage you in that. But it has to be your choice. We cannot make that decision for you, nor would any amount of belittling move you further.

Will we push you?

Absolutely, but it will not be beyond anything that you, as an individual can handle. Preservation is the goal of any self-protection training. I fully intend to be just as badass at age 75 as I am now. Truthfully, I intend to be better. Blowing out joints and tearing muscle fiber, tendons, and ligaments is not an option. The whole goal of the Action Strength program is to provide you with the attributes needed to protect yourself...for your lifetime, not to treat you like an 18 year old who just signed up for Infantry training.

See you guys next Wednesday, and remember that as of June 6th, our schedule will change, allowing you more options for Action Strength & Jeet Kune Do training. We recommend training at a minimum two nights a week in order to progress. Trust me, as long as you couple your efforts with a sensible diet, you will see dramatic results in six weeks.

Summer Schedule

Whiskey

Sep 28, 2012
    Crownsville, MD
    Tonight, are you going to be there? I'm cooking up my lame excuses for not going, but I think that working up a sweat before heading home is just what this warrior needs

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom