• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Finally took the plunge and bought a generator after this latest storm. Just need to put together some kind of rain shelter for it. Let's see how long we go without losing power now. :D

Also grabbed a pair of Vortex Diamondback Binos a while back just to have around. Our home doesn't have a lot of long sightlines but I figure they might occasionally be useful hiking/camping or even checking targets in lieu of an actual spotting scope at shorter ranges.
    Look into a transfer switch to make life a heck of a lot easier for yourself. You can buy the kits on Amazon. I end up using mine 2-3 times per year and can say I got my use out of mine.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Look into a transfer switch to make life a heck of a lot easier for yourself. You can buy the kits on Amazon. I end up using mine 2-3 times per year and can say I got my use out of mine.

This. If you balance the load manually, you can install a transfer switch with greater capacity than your genny. This will let you wire up more of your house to run on emergency power. Just don't have everything switched at once. So (for example) you can turn off the water heater when the pump is running.

My setup has 14 circuits on a 2.8kw genny. I have lights in the whole house, microwave, water heater and furnace. When the furnace is on, the water heater is off. Generally not a problem since a fully charged water heater will last at least a couple of showers.

Since all lights are LEDs, they don't take more than 200w total

FeelTheNoise

WTF
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 11, 2015
    Cecil County
    This is on the to do list as well. Just trying to decide if I'm comfortable enough doing it myself or if I want to cough up the cash for a pro to do it. I've done minor electrical fixes (replacing outlets, swapping light fixtures, installing ceiling fans, etc) but nothing of that scale. I am also considering having another circuit installed in the basement, so that could be done at the same time.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    This is on the to do list as well. Just trying to decide if I'm comfortable enough doing it myself or if I want to cough up the cash for a pro to do it. I've done minor electrical fixes (replacing outlets, swapping light fixtures, installing ceiling fans, etc) but nothing of that scale. I am also considering having another circuit installed in the basement, so that could be done at the same time.
    I’m no expert, but I didn’t find it too difficult. If you can wire a new circuit or a sub panel, then you could handle this.

However, a power outage is probably the worst time for a house fire, so if you’re not comfortable, hire it out. Either way, you save one freezer of food from going bad it’ll pay for itself.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Graduated from the shovel and wheelbarrow. Too many projects and not enough hours in the day to make things happen. Picked up a Yanmar 223 with a loader and backhoe to save my back and find a few more hours in the week. Love the damn thing, the tiniest little diesel engine I have ever seen. Purrs right along...

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Graduated from the shovel and wheelbarrow. Too many projects and not enough hours in the day to make things happen. Picked up a Yanmar 223 with a loader and backhoe to save my back and find a few more hours in the week. Love the damn thing, the tiniest little diesel engine I have ever seen. Purrs right along...
    Very nice!
    You should consider a pallet fork type of attachment. I use that as much or probably more than the bucket for moving stuff around and saving my back.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    On my next trip to the dealer I was going to get a price on the pallet fork and rototiller attachments. Been looking for a 4ft grading blade also.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Like most of what I do, I tend to go a little overboard. Thinking about the recent train derailment in Ohio where toxic chemicals poisoned a town as well as general civilian unrest, I bought some gas mask/respirators for my wife and me. I honestly pray I will never need them.

I figure I can use the 3M full face masks to get away from generic smoke, airborne particulates, or tear gas due to their cartridges (not in the picture) are A2-B2-E2-P3-R equivalent. Note: Tear gas is the compound 2-chlorobenzalmalononitrile (also called o-chlorobenzylidene malononitrile; chemical formula: C10H5ClN2), a cyanocarbon, is the defining component of tear gas commonly referred to as CS gas. CS is typically dissolved in the organic solvent dichloromethane (also known as methylene chloride). CS can also be dispersed as a powder or "smoke". Therefore, a mask that is needed to filter out tear gas will need to be rated to filter organic gases and particulates. The minimum ABEK rating that I would recommend for tear gas should be A2 P3. In short, any filter rated to use with spray paint should work for tear gas.

The K3 and K10 military masks are for everything else. Their filters are NATO grade CBRN.

Then, I picked up a pair of Israeli civilian gas masks as back-ups, or to use as barter material for neighbors if needed.

All of the masks and filters have a manufacture's date of this year.

20230926_111801.1small.jpg

Last edited:

Sirex