Is there a calculator for earth rotation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    Boy this opened a long closed door. Found myself skimming FM 6-40 Filed Artillery manual. We used to have to keep all that in mind when firing - drift, bore condition, rotation, temp of powder, temp and wind speed at altitudes. All books and slide rules. No calculators - Ok we had one but took 4 to comfortably carry so it frequently got dropped. Get info, fill in chart, get standard adjustment. Ages ago.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I guess I'll have to figure out how many pounds a 140 grain bullet weighs. Thanks!

That depends on how far your bullet is from the center of the earth and how close the earth is to the sun at the time you weigh the bullet:lol2:

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I like that. :party29:

GotoDave, I'm curious - did you win or lose the bet?

Winning. I was working on a formula to calculate this last Friday, but have been too busy to complete it. I'm hoping one pops up here in the meantime :innocent0

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    See, if you just believe in Flat Earth, you won't have to worry about this.

70898010_10108473030720373_5784802682598326272_n.jpg

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Ok we need a new MDS award: the IslandCrLeverGun Award for the most awesome first post of the year.

This year’s award is already claimed.

Downside: the expectation bar for the second post is set pretty darned high.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Winning. I was working on a formula to calculate this last Friday, but have been too busy to complete it. I'm hoping one pops up here in the meantime :innocent0

That's easy enough to find - this is the formula:

Fc=2×V×A×sinel

where Fc = Coriolis effect, V = wind velocity, A = angular velocity of the earth, and l = latitude.

Maybe a little easier to read this way:

Fc = 2*V*A*sinel

Interestingly, the formula doesn't account for direction of North, South, East or West.

This is a fun one though - to calculate A, the angular velocity of the Earth, you need to consider this:

"Mathematically, the average angular velocity of an object can be represented by the following equation: ωaverage= Δθ/Δt, where ω is the radians/revolutions per second (on average), Δ is the change in quantity, θ is the velocity, and t is time. When calculating the angular velocity of the Earth as it completes a full rotation on its own axis (a solar day), this equation is represented as: ωavg = 2πrad/1day (86400 seconds), which works out to a moderate angular velocity of 7.2921159 × 10-5 radians/second. In the case of a Solar Year, where ωavg = 2πrad/1year (3.2×107 seconds), we see that the angular velocity works out to 2.0×10-7 rad/s."

This all makes my head hurt.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I'm getting flashbacks of college algebra and wanting to curl up in fetal position.

Eddie Van

Dude
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hollywood Star Lanes
    Is there a calculator online that will tell me how much the target "moves" with the Earth's rotation at given distances and time? I'm trying to figure out how much a 6.5CM is affected by planet rotation at 1,000 yards. I know it isn't much, but I was looking for precise numbers.

EDIT: just saw TRICKG answered this last week and that awesome first post, I should've read the full thread before spouting off! oh well....

My calcs using the posted omni calculator and these assumptions:

140 gr bullet (0.02 lbf)
    time to target at 1000yds (t): 1.2 sec
    formula for effect (distance,x) of Coriolis acceleration (a) on bullet is x = 1/2*a*t^2 (a is acceleration from Omni calc)

a = .236 ft/sec^2 for a 140gr bullet at 37 deg of latitude

distance is 0.5*1.2^2*.236 = .1699 feet or about 2 inches

That would be maximum effect (i.e. shooting due North or South). If target is due East or West of shooter, Coriolis acceleration would be greatly diminished

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    It can be calculated based upon longitude, latitude, facing direction, and height above sea-level.

If you find the right calculator, you can also plug in humidity and barometric pressure.

Too much math for me.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Do these figures take into account the decrease in bullet velocity over time?

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    Boy this opened a long closed door. Found myself skimming FM 6-40 Filed Artillery manual. We used to have to keep all that in mind when firing - drift, bore condition, rotation, temp of powder, temp and wind speed at altitudes. All books and slide rules. No calculators - Ok we had one but took 4 to comfortably carry so it frequently got dropped. Get info, fill in chart, get standard adjustment. Ages ago.

I was wondering how to convince Aberdeen that they needed to publish a TFT for 6.5...
    and
    Don't forget to add two forks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom