• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Just picked up a older Savage 243win Hvy 26" bbl single shot action rifle. The stock is solid wood and much thicker than other Savage rifles I've handled from that era and has what looks like original pachymar recoil pad. Bought it for almost nothing the finish is rough but the bolt is smooth as butter and the bore looks nice once I cleaned it up. Was going to restock and rebarrell to 6.5x47L but since this is and will always be a single shot is there any reason I can't go with a LA cartridge. It has plenty of room to clear empties. I know the bolt head will need swapped out but that's not hard on a Savage.

Last edited:

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Nobody? The best I can dig up on net says I may have to remove bolt to eject unfired cartridge. I'm fine with that as this is just a paper puncher. I stuck a fired 300rum in the action can't see why it wouldn't eject a fired cartridge this size. Really would love to turn this into a 338edge but don't want any suprises.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You made me look ! It seems the .338Edge is full length .300Ultramag necked up ?

And made me look up , again. Seems Savage also makes a rifle in an Ultra Mag cal , so the bolt head should be available.

I'll take your word you tested/ made measurment , that your proposed empty case would eject .

I would suspect having to frequently remove the bolt while shooting would get old . I'd probably be inclined to use a donor long action, but its a semi-free country if you feel like doing so .

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Bigfoot 44 I wish I had a donor long action sadly I do not and I picked up this Savage for a whopping $40 at a yard sale. I've been looking up everything I can find on using this round In this size action. It should fit fine and since there is not a magazine to worry about I can seat those long 300gr pills way out there if I want. This will be a target rig so I cant see having to unload a unfired cartridge very often. Guess I'm off to locate a bolt head and do some research on who makes a good drop in Savage Barrell that won't make me wait 6months for it.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Think I am going to go with a Mcgowen. Going to call them and talk to them first. Still have to figure out the bolt head situation. Seems maybe Savage may have used a different diameter firing pin on the early rifles. Still trying to get to the bottom of that one.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Shilen and X-caliber, are normally pretty decent about getting orders done and out the door.

PoPo3

Oct 26, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    The 112 is a long action. I'm assuming you have figured that out. You shouldnt have any problems with the 338 edge as long as you get the magnum bolt face, which again, you've already eluded to. Bugholes.com has a .338 large shank savage 1-9.3 twist for $340, in stock. Might fit, not 100% sure

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    This particular rifle has the standard shank and what is considered an intermediate action. Never heard of bugholes.com have to check em out thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom