• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Everyone I know that reloads does it first and foremost because they enjoy it and secondly to save money. I wouldn't do it myself because I'd rather be doing something else and I get all of it for cheap :lol2:

^ This, I enjoy it, it's a hobby in which it can get expensive real quick buying equipment, components, etc. Even if you figure in your time, it's some times cheaper to buy factory ammo in the common rounds. Casting helps some especially if you can get lead cheap. To actually save is when you get into the newer calibers or the not so common ones or the big boyz, 338 LM, 375 H&H, 458 WM, 460 W, 50 BMG and some others, or have wildcats...or for precision.. Just got back into reloading 12ga, cost effective, no not really when you can buy "flats" cheap..Anyway a hobby here, not out to set any productivity records, or to have the best progressive, fastest, turn out thousands of rounds in one sitting, each to their own. A Mark 7, Ammobot, Camdex sure I want one, but do I need one...no.. Do I shoot thousands of rounds ...no, could I ...sure with a few of the toys in no time...YMMV

So sell it to a reloader, reload it later when time / price dictates, or scrap it....

-Rock

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Buy yourself a classic Lee Loader for one of the calibers you shoot and a manual and try it for yourself. It does not take up much room or cost a lot and will teach you the basics of reloading, thousands of reloaders have started this way. The only other things you will need are a hammer, a way to measure the length, and the expendable components. Try it you may like it.

9 mm $28.49
    https://www.natchezss.com/lee-classic-loader-9mm-luger.html

.223 Remington $28.49
    https://www.natchezss.com/lee-classic-loader-223-rem.html

Modern Reloading $16.49
    https://www.natchezss.com/lee-modern-reloading-manual-2nd-edition.html

It won't be fast but you can try reloading for less than $50 and you will have the tools and knowledge for the next ammo shortage or if TSHTF.

Video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeEl9wZyabc

Last edited:

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    The other option if you want to try reloading before taking the plunge is to just learn from someone who does reload. There are members willing to teach. Thread is at
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=157728&page=9

If you are going for the cheapest way to shoot, you are better off not reloading. If you are going for accuracy, that's when reloading pays for itself. Hornady Match grade cartridges run about $1 to 1.25 a shot depending where you get them. I can reload to that level for .40 to .45 a shot and tailor the round for my gun (I am using a bolt action 223). If you are just plinking and are not worried about group size, the factory or milsurp rounds are perfect.

All that said, reloading is fun and a great way to relax.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I take my brass to the Chantilly show, where Georgia Arms buys it, or trades ammo for it.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I take my brass to the Chantilly show, where Georgia Arms buys it, or trades ammo for it.

What kind of rate does Georgia Arms pay for brass, and how clean does it need to be?

Freedom Munitions will also take in brass, although they offer credit towards purchases rather than straight up payment for brass. As previously mentioned, the main obstacle with Freedom Munitions is that the cost of shipping really cuts down on how much of a total return you get for the brass.

Price-wise, Freedom Munitions offers to reimburse returned brass at the current market value, while the local scrappers I have spoken to offer a lower rate citing the difference to market value as the profit for their business. So, while Freedom Munitions is currently offering $1.40/# (https://www.freedommunitions.com/brass-credit-program), local scrappers quoted me $1.00/# (+/- $0.15).

In terms of clean, most scrappers I spoke to insist that nickel cases be removed, otherwise the load will be considered "dirty brass" with a price rate perhaps half that of clean brass. One scrapper also said that the cases must be de-primed, otherwise again the "dirty brass" price would apply.

Last edited:

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    What kind of rate does Georgia Arms pay for brass, and how clean does it need to be?

Freedom Munitions will also take in brass, although they offer credit towards purchases rather than straight up payment for brass. As previously mentioned, the main obstacle with Freedom Munitions is that the cost of shipping really cuts down on how much of a total return you get for the brass.

Price-wise, Freedom Munitions offers to reimburse returned brass at the current market value, while the local scrappers I have spoken to offer a lower rate citing the difference to market value as the profit for their business. So, while Freedom Munitions is currently offering $1.40/# (https://www.freedommunitions.com/brass-credit-program), local scrappers quoted me $1.00/# (+/- $0.15).

In terms of clean, most scrappers I spoke to insist that nickel cases be removed, otherwise the load will be considered "dirty brass" with a price rate perhaps half that of clean brass. One scrapper also said that the cases must be de-primed, otherwise again the "dirty brass" price would apply.
    I don't have the rate sheet from Georgia Arms anymore, but the $1.40 sounds close.

The brass can be in the condition it was when you picked it up off the range floor. No need to de-prime, tumble, or anything. Just make sure it is sorted according to caliber, and there is no debris mixed in.

I tote it in using plastic grocery bags, and they weigh it using a hand-held luggage scale. You can get cash, but they prefer, and I want, credit for fresh ammo. I've been shooting their stuff for years and am very happy with it.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I don't have the rate sheet from Georgia Arms anymore, but the $1.40 sounds close.

The brass can be in the condition it was when you picked it up off the range floor. No need to de-prime, tumble, or anything. Just make sure it is sorted according to caliber, and there is no debris mixed in.

I tote it in using plastic grocery bags, and they weigh it using a hand-held luggage scale. You can get cash, but they prefer, and I want, credit for fresh ammo. I've been shooting their stuff for years and am very happy with it.

This is definitely good to know. I have a kitchen bag full of brass I haven't unloaded. I'll bring it to the next Dulles show and take back some nice ammo. Maybe even make back the $16 price of admission.

Muggs

Nov 21, 2010
    Cumberland
    Back in early April I scrapped 15 pounds of cartridge brass. $1.50/pound. In Cumberland. It was a mix of rimfire and centerfire with primers.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    Back in early April I scrapped 15 pounds of cartridge brass. $1.50/pound. In Cumberland. It was a mix of rimfire and centerfire with primers.

I would love to find a scapper within a reasonable traveling distance of Harford county offering such rates. If anyone has suggestions, I would be much obliged.

Given how cheap new 9mm ammo is, and how plentiful the discarded brass is, I have several 5-gallon buckets full that I cannot sell to reloaders.

awhite

Oct 30, 2013
    Reloading

Reloading is alot of fun but it takes time and money. I have alot in my progressive machine but like what was said before it will pay for its self when you load alot of different calibers, like 45 acp, 44 mag, /357 mag etc. But it does take time and cash to get started. If you are interested in sell a couple buckets message me privately.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Ok, when you reload you don't want to compare your reloads to bulk ammo prices, you want to compare it to match ammo prices, due to the QC you are maintaining, that keeps everything consistent across multiple batches.

Match grade 223 is going for $1 a trigger pull, roughly. You can make stuff on your press that is the equivalent of match grade ammo, without using match grade components, for about 25-30 cents per round.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    If you want to shoot 185gr or 200gr SWC .45ACP, those are less plentiful in loaded ammo form. And, what you find is typically self defense load - not a precision load. Bulk options you find are 230gr FMJ or higher cost 230 JHP. All self defense loads.

HOWEVER, if you reload, you can easily find (in today's market) 185gr & 200gr SWC plated, lead, jacketed, and JHP for reasonable prices and turn those into quality ammo (with the load characteristics of your choosing, tailored to your gun) for much less than you could ever hope to buy at. My current cost for loading 185gr plated SWC,.45ACP right now is 15.5 CPR + my time and for lead cast 200gr SWC .45ACP is 9.5 CPR + my time. Since I enjoy reloading, I don't count the cost of my time. Also, my time is worth it in this case, because I can't find specialty loads like this, and if by chance someone were selling them, they probably wouldn't work as well in my firearms. That's a BIG differentiator. In this case, reloading does save me money and also gives me specific purpose in the case of .45 ACP. Of course, I reload other cartridges too, because I can. But this example is one where I'm saving a ton of money (over prices of bulk 230gr FMJ) and I couldn't buy what I wanted anyway!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Ok, when you reload you don't want to compare your reloads to bulk ammo prices, you want to compare it to match ammo prices, due to the QC you are maintaining, that keeps everything consistent across multiple batches.

Match grade 223 is going for $1 a trigger pull, roughly. You can make stuff on your press that is the equivalent of match grade ammo, without using match grade components, for about 25-30 cents per round.

Here's the piece to consider when it comes to cost comparisons. This load costs me $4.20 a box. That's a 10 cent powder charge, a 7 cent SP bullet, a 4 cent mil spec primer, and free brass. Group was shot with a Colt HBAR, and a Vortex 1x6 Strike Eagle at 100 yards. Not exactly what I'd call the best reticle for bench precision. Still, 4 pretty good shots I think, plus 1 shot I'll call meat bag me operator error.

Bottom line? I can't do this with factory ammo. I've tried. Many, many times.

Now, I'm not saving any money. And I'm spending my time loading. And with much or most of AR type shooting, ammo that's capable of grouping well may well not matter to everyone. And that's both fine and fair, as there's good and plenty good enough, and most everything is a trade off. But, FOR ME at least, I know for a fact that I can consistently build, better than what I can buy.

Attachments

• IMG_0126.jpg
      IMG_0126.jpg
      84.2 KB · Views: 182

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    I would love to find a scapper within a reasonable traveling distance of Harford county offering such rates. If anyone has suggestions, I would be much obliged.

Given how cheap new 9mm ammo is, and how plentiful the discarded brass is, I have several 5-gallon buckets full that I cannot sell to reloaders.

Just contacted this outfit on Friday and they are paying $1.15 a pound for used ammo brass.

Always Recycling LLC
    1347 Old Post Rd
    Havre De Grace , Maryland 21078
    Phone: 410-939-9201

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads