• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I would want more than 4x for 800 yds, I mean it is doable but more magnification would make things a lot easier.

He is not going to be shooting an AP4 carbine to 800 yards... Not realistic.

That's why I asked him what model he bought. Lets see what he answers... :thumbsup:

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Which DPMS LR308 did you buy? You mentioned iron sights so I'm guessing its either the 16" carbine or the 20" Classic.

If its the AP4 carbine you'll probably want a 1-4x.

Actually it's the LRT-SASS, 18" Fluted bull barrel. I'm confident 800 yrd shots won't be a problem and expect that 1000 will be possible with practice.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    For 800y you can get by with 16x max if you know how to use it. I use a Bushnell 4200 Tactical 6-24x50 which is FFP and mil-dot. That scope when sighted in at 100y and using 20 MOA offset rail has enough elevation adjustment to engage at 1000y, by a little bit. One of my buddys uses a 4-16x50 Vortex on a Savage .308 and has hit at 950y on the first shot of a match. I can consistantly hit the 10 ring at 300y with a 4x scope on an AR so theoretically I should be able to hit at 1000y with 14x if I have enough elevation adjustment. Many scopes do not and that is where offset rails, offset 1-piece mounts, and offset rings come into play. I suggest looking at some of the scope reviews on the sniper websites.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I would probably save a little more and go for a Night Force 3.5-15x. In the mean time slap an inexpensive SWFA Super Sniper fixed 10x on it, which should also be able to get you to 800 yards.

One of the issues with scoping an AR platform for that distance is that you cant take advantage of a canted rail without jacking up the scope.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Too much magnification can be a detriment are even longer ranges.

You should be able to spot your own shots, but with recoil and very high magnification, you will not see misses.

The recent long range rifle course I took recommended to dial down to no more than 12 power to open up the field of view.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Too much magnification can be a detriment are even longer ranges.

You should be able to spot your own shots, but with recoil and very high magnification, you will not see misses.

The recent long range rifle course I took recommended to dial down to no more than 12 power to open up the field of view.

I'm waiting on your report lol. I really need to do something like this!

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I would probably save a little more and go for a Night Force 3.5-15x. In the mean time slap an inexpensive SWFA Super Sniper fixed 10x on it, which should also be able to get you to 800 yards.

One of the issues with scoping an AR platform for that distance is that you cant take advantage of a canted rail without jacking up the scope.

Thanks for all the info, guys!

I know of Night Force and their reputation for quality and I have the Vortex Strikefire on my 5.56 and really like it. I've heard several mention the SWFA, looks like I need to check it out.

scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    SWFA

I know this post is old but I wanted to put my own data into it. I had my scope budget maxed out to 1k. I narrowed my field of scopes, in order of preference down to:

1. Bushnell Tactical Elite 6-24x50 FFP G2 reticle - ~$890 on ebay
    2. Vortex Viper PST FFP at SWFA for ~$950
    3. SWFA SS 3-15x42 FFP at SWFA for ~$700

Well a demo A of the SWFA SS popped up at SWFA for $599 so I took it to evaluate. I'm keeping it! Really great scope for the price and I should be able to do great things with it out to 600m. The glass is better than an older Vortex Viper I had before and this scope appears to be very very rugged and well built. I'll take it over any Vortex Viper PST. The comparison against the Bushnell I'm not sure about.

My next scope will likely be the Bushnell Tactical Elite for stretching out more distance. Maybe a NF if I save, but I'm not sure I need it.

odomo

May 8, 2018
    Iowa,Des Moines
    Sorry,I know that this topic is very old, but maybe my answer will help someone in the future since I spent a lot of time to find the right information.
    There are so many players in the optics business now that prices on good optics have come down. The top of the line scopes, Swarovski, Leica, Zeis, etc cannot be beaten for clarity over a long distance, and acceptance of recoil, and durability. But, you don't have to spend the kid's college fund to get a solid scope.

The real question is what fits the intended purpose, and what fits you the best. I notice that Academy, in my area, now has a selection of scopes mounted on plastic buttstocks, so you can actually sight through them, and get a feel for what they will be like when mounted on a rifle, what the eye relief is going to be like, and how quickly you can acquire your target.

Reticle selection is going to come into play too. As my eyes have aged I have found it harder to use scopes with fine crosshairs, and I need more magnification. The designated marksman scopes I see everywhere now don't cut it either, for me, because they don't seem to gather enough light for my eyes.

I helped a friend last year select, and sight in new scopes on his AR10, and an AR in 300 Black Out. He ended up with 2 2.5-10X44 Weaver Kaspas https://thetacticalscopes.com/best-ar10-scope/ with lighted mildot reticles. I found them to be very clear optics for the money, and easy to sight in. The crosshairs aren't too fine, and the mildots work well for holds at different ranges. The 2.5x setting is good for finding the target, and dialing the scope up to 10x power lets you pinpoint your shot. I found it easy to bull at 200 yds on a 3" bull, and to make center mass shots on an 18" silhouette at 500 with the AR10. Neither has shown any degradation, at this point.

The scopes he bought were not expensive, I think in the $250-$300 range. You can probably find them for a little less if you shop around.

Last edited:

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Sorry, should have been a little more specific. Mainly curious what would be a good mag range for 400-800 yard work and if there are any specific brands that have worked well (or I guess more importantly which scopes to avoid).

I'd prefer a 1-4x in that role if you have any intentions of shooting at closer ranges too. The 1x helps there and 4x works at longer ranges.

If not a concern, anything else will do.

I give another shout out to SWFA. I use the fixed 10x for long range but I wouldn't want that on a semi automatic. I'd probably go variable lower magnification for that.

Oh and you don't need to spend that much money for long range shooting. A decent $400 scope will do you fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom