• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpookyDan

HK Freak
    Mar 10, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Does anyone here know if the Ares/FightLight SCR falls under the same restrictions as a standard AR15 in Maryland? Can one be built without a HBAR?

MSP Listing:
    Ares
    Ares Defense SCR
    Not Banned
    Not Regulated By Statute
    4/29/2015

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    It is not interchangeable with the AR15, the internal parts work differently.

In essence, ARES took the front half of the AR bolt and mated it with a tail, as is commonly used in self-loading shotgun designs. Instead of an AR buffer tube, the tail on the back of the firing pin matches up with a recoil-spring and cup assembly that would be familiar to any semi-auto shotgun owner. Also, the lower receiver has been reconfigured to match up with the standard rifle stock.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/12/12/nra-gun-of-the-week-ares-defense-scr-rifle/

the good news, you are gtg building one without an HBAR. The bad news, sounds to me as though the parts are proprietary - you cannot simply build it with the AR parts lying around.

SpookyDan

HK Freak
    Mar 10, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    It is not interchangeable with the AR15, the internal parts work differently.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/12/12/nra-gun-of-the-week-ares-defense-scr-rifle/

the good news, you are gtg building one without an HBAR. The bad news, sounds to me as though the parts are proprietary - you cannot simply build it with the AR parts lying around.

The lower and BCG are proprietary. You can use just about any AR upper combination so long as you swap the BCG.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    The lower and BCG are proprietary. You can use just about any AR upper combination so long as you swap the BCG.

Actually the lower is a standard AR. The bolt has a extra lug so barrels are not the same either. The carrier is custom as well. You have to watch what type of stock you use , as they may interfere with the side charging handle ( happened to me) the beltfed system works nicely, as well as mags.I would recommend a hydraulic buffer.

Does anyone here know if the Ares/FightLight SCR falls under the same restrictions as a standard AR15 in Maryland? Can one be built without a HBAR?

MSP Listing:
    Ares
    Ares Defense SCR
    Not Banned
    Not Regulated By Statute
    4/29/2015

It is not banned. I own 2. I bought the first one that entered the state and had to wait for MSP to pronounce it MD legal. The barrel that comes with it (5.56) is not HBAR. My other one is 300BO

Actually the lower is a standard AR. The bolt has a extra lug so barrels are not the same either. The carrier is custom as well. You have to watch what type of stock you use , as they may interfere with the side charging handle ( happened to me) the beltfed system works nicely, as well as mags.I would recommend a hydraulic buffer.

The lower is not standard AR. With the exception of the bolt, nothing is the same. I bought one of the lowers from Brownell's and used a Radical Firearms 300 BO upper with a standard 5.56 bolt.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    The lower is not standard AR. With the exception of the bolt, nothing is the same. I bought one of the lowers from Brownell's and used a Radical Firearms 300 BO upper with a standard 5.56 bolt.

Well I bought 2 of there beltfed uppers and put them on standard AR lowers . And they run perfectly. What is non standard I'd love to know ?? Also the bolt has a extra lug . not the same as a standard AR15.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom