• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • punisher12b

Feb 4, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Live in MoCo. Which doesn't help much for getting out
    But both my wife and I would like to do something fun. easy to start..

What would be a good way to get started and closest to us as well.

She ha a p10c
    I have a CZC shadow target
    p09 sr
    p07 sr

love the way my Shadow trigger is so thinking up upgrading my 09/07 with the CGW parts but would that DQ me from any particular division or push me into a group that would be way to hard for a beginner?

Thank you guys for all your thoughts and assistant.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Fellow MoCo-er, and feel your pain on how not-even-slightly-convenient we are to places where we can get our feet wet on this sort of thing. You (and the Mrs) might enjoy one or two treks to a range hosting an ASI event. They are very, very easy going on people new to this, and are pretty hardware agnostic, as long as you can handle things safely. It's a chance to experience the basic mechanics of a match-like environment and procedures but with zero (and I mean ZERO) pressure to rush, push your limits, etc. It's a great way to get your toe in the water.

4guyz1stool

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 16, 2017
    Fellow MoCo-er, and feel your pain on how not-even-slightly-convenient we are to places where we can get our feet wet on this sort of thing. You (and the Mrs) might enjoy one or two treks to a range hosting an ASI event. They are very, very easy going on people new to this, and are pretty hardware agnostic, as long as you can handle things safely. It's a chance to experience the basic mechanics of a match-like environment and procedures but with zero (and I mean ZERO) pressure to rush, push your limits, etc. It's a great way to get your toe in the water.

The machine gun nest has them on Sundays. Also no pressure, beginners welcome.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    find a 'steel challenge' match, they're all around. super easy and great first match. load up, holster, then on the beep, draw and shoot five steel plates. repeat five times and move on to the next stage. normally 5-8 stages per match. and most places will let you just start at low ready if you're reticent to draw. bring what you got and they'll let you know what divisions work best for you.

peacemaker (www.peacemakernational.com) has 'supersteel' matches most months. just run around and knock down falling steel. other than basic safety rules (finger outside triggerguard, muzzle generally pointing downrange), not a lot of complex rules or divisions to worry about.

york iwla has 'fun shoots' most months, check them out. https://yorkpistol.blogspot.com/

punisher12b

Feb 4, 2013
    Montgomery County
    find a 'steel challenge' match, they're all around. super easy and great first match. load up, holster, then on the beep, draw and shoot five steel plates. repeat five times and move on to the next stage. normally 5-8 stages per match. and most places will let you just start at low ready if you're reticent to draw. bring what you got and they'll let you know what divisions work best for you.

peacemaker (www.peacemakernational.com) has 'supersteel' matches most months. just run around and knock down falling steel. other than basic safety rules (finger outside triggerguard, muzzle generally pointing downrange), not a lot of complex rules or divisions to worry about.

york iwla has 'fun shoots' most months, check them out. https://yorkpistol.blogspot.com/

I was wondering about that.. would like to go with someone who has done it.. or meet up.. possible?

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore

Right on the Steel Match. Also right on York. From there blogspot: "Saturday, August 24th, Fun Shoot".

Points for "reticent" :)

I was wondering about that.. would like to go with someone who has done it.. or meet up.. possible?

York will take care of you, both for your enjoyment and for your safety. You just tell them you are green and they will walk you though it, paying attention to your safety and the safety of others. You will need protective glasses and hearing protection and an understanding that your first time is not to score, but to learn. Do that and you will have the most fun you can have with your clothes on...(I sometimes do "it" with my clothes on, so that doesn't count).

York is a cold range. That means you keep your firearm cased until after the safety briefing. Then you get your gear on, or you ask if you don't know what to do. You will probably hear that you only handle the firearm in the safe area (where ammo in mags may be allowed, but you must, can not touch it), and under the direction of the Safety Officer at the firing line.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia

Meeting up is always possible. We get new shooters (meaning no competition experience) at Peacemaker all the time. Most shooters are willing to help out newbies because we were all there once. They also have dedicated classes for it on some weekends with time for a match afterwards.
    I suggest first locating a good indoor range and getting practice at accurate shooting especially if using OEM or iron sights if you don't yet have a lot of general shooting experience. Work on trigger discipline and trigger finger placement. Because incorrect trigger finger position can throw rounds all over the place instead of right where you want them to go.
    One good place to start competition shooting is up in Frederick, MD at the Monocacy Pistol Club. While the club always has a waiting list for membership, the matches are open to guests of members (I am one). And unlike Steel Challenge you don't have to draw centerfire handguns at their steel matches unless you want to. Also I understand The Machine Gun Nest action pistol matches are relatively low key in Frederick also. If you are not aware of them I suggest you read and memorize the NRA safety rules because they will apply to all competition shooting events everywhere.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Meeting up is always possible. We get new shooters (meaning no competition experience) at Peacemaker all the time. Most shooters are willing to help out newbies because we were all there once. They also have dedicated classes for it on some weekends with time for a match afterwards.
    I suggest first locating a good indoor range and getting practice at accurate shooting especially if using OEM or iron sights if you don't yet have a lot of general shooting experience. Work on trigger discipline and trigger finger placement. Because incorrect trigger finger position can throw rounds all over the place instead of right where you want them to go.
    One good place to start competition shooting is up in Frederick, MD at the Monocacy Pistol Club. While the club always has a waiting list for membership, the matches are open to guests of members (I am one). And unlike Steel Challenge you don't have to draw centerfire handguns at their steel matches unless you want to. Also I understand The Machine Gun Nest action pistol matches are relatively low key in Frederick also. If you are not aware of them I suggest you read and memorize the NRA safety rules because they will apply to all competition shooting events everywhere.

Thanks for reminding me...you don't have to draw at York, either. You can start from "low ready", which is holding the gun out in front of you at a 45 degree angle toward the ground until the buzzer goes off.

punisher12b

Feb 4, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Ok lots to respond to ..

Really IWL?
    I am not a new shooter.. but due to circumstances I have no move and shoot experience. my time is always at cresap.. ( always hear you guys next door)
    at 25ft im roughly 1 inch left and 2in tall constant. regardless what I shoot. I know its got to be my grip.. and am working on it ..
    is someone a local member of the IWL on Waring Station I could go with one weekend?

My wife just started shooting ..

Thank you all guys I appreciate it. now that my wife is getting into the hobby i forsee much more range time than i have at cresap ( its cheap there ) that I have been in a long while.

guess its time to finally break out those 9mm dies.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    this saturday (10th) if you (and the wife) want to schlep out to peacemaker around 1pm, i'd be happy to spend an hour with you just going over the basics of shooting and action shooting and some of the games. a little practice drawing and shooting and running around and shooting. that morning i'm doing a uspsa match at shadow hawk down the road maybe 10 minutes and you're more than welcome to spectate, see what's going on, and ask all the questions you want. there normally are some women and even kids there shooting so you can get lots of perspective. all this is totally free to you except of course you have to bring your own ammo, guns, etc. there will be a 2 gun match (handgun and AR) going on at peacemaker so you could also spectate that, runs from 9 to maybe 4-5pm.

actually the same offer goes for the following weekend, same schedule and the matches will be similar (uspsa-style falling steel match at shadowhawk and 3 gun at peacemaker).

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I recommend ASI for those who just want to get their feet wet. Unfortunately they tend to be at indoor ranges and thus the movement aspects of the stages are kinda limited. That said, folks that shoot ASI tend to be really cool and not terribly competitive. The PNTC super steel matches are really cool. Steel Challenge is good just about anywhere it is shot. I would add the Kahr defensive series at PNTC to the list of "good for the introductory market" matches. The rules are relatively simple. Stages are mixed paper and steel target. You can shoot just about any weapon that is pistol caliber. Kahr has sponsored the series for a couple years. Last year the finale was a "headshots only" zombie match. This year they scheduled the matches near holidays (cinco de mayo, st patricks day, 4th of july, etc.) and they have had themes (and a taco truck at the cinco match, which rocked).

What NOT to do as a first experience in competitive shooting: IDPA, USPSA, or any multigun.

Get into the game with the handguns you own and have a good time. If you don't know what equipment division you should be in, simply pick one and when you show up see the match director or your squad leader and they will get you sorted out. At club level events most people are really just there to shoot and don't much care if you are in limited but should have been in single stack. Show up and shoot. I can't speak for every club but both PNTC and TMGN (indoor range in frederick) both have plenty of lady and junior shooters. I have seen some very skilled Juniors at the rifle matches at PNTC (one actually won the NRL .22 Junior title from what I hear). One of the guys that regularly shoots the PNTC steel matches has a son that generally accompanies him who can beat many of the adults.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    the only way we're not going to eventually get our guns taken away is to get more folks out shooting. that's why no one is protesting to remove alcohol and cell phones from the earth, despite all the drunk and distracted driving deaths - everyone uses cell phones and enjoys a drink after work, so it would be preposterous to even suggest banning them. that's where we need to get to with firearms. so if i can help folks get more involved in the shooting sports, that's what i will gladly do. as well, i had a few buddies help me get started, so happy to pay it forward with others.

TOWcritter

Self Sufficent Sovereign
    I belong to the York IWL. My good friend runs the 3 gun up there. He’s one of the top 10 one the Country. My cousin shoots on his team. Last year he came in 7th, this year 12th.
    Great group of guys and gals up there. Great ranges. We just had a 5 stage falling steel match this past Saturday. I used 3 different friends 9 mm carbines. About 40 guys and gals...At $120 / year for membership and great facilities..you can’t beat it.

punisher12b

Feb 4, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Thanks for reminding me...you don't have to draw at York, either. You can start from "low ready", which is holding the gun out in front of you at a 45 degree angle toward the ground until the buzzer goes off.

the only way we're not going to eventually get our guns taken away is to get more folks out shooting. that's why no one is protesting to remove alcohol and cell phones from the earth, despite all the drunk and distracted driving deaths - everyone uses cell phones and enjoys a drink after work, so it would be preposterous to even suggest banning them. that's where we need to get to with firearms. so if i can help folks get more involved in the shooting sports, that's what i will gladly do. as well, i had a few buddies help me get started, so happy to pay it forward with others.

I have not purchased holsters for either me or the wife yet as I just entered CZ and swapped my collection. I do however plan on it. If i could take a rain check I would appreciate it.

magnetic1

Jun 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Lots of clubs all around here within 1-2 hours away.

Create an account on practiscore.com

Join uspsa.org

Code "majorwonger" good for 10% off at redhilltactical.com for holsters, mag pouches, etc.

TMGN in Frederick is a good beginner match (4 short stages).
    York Practical Shooters
    Bridgeville, DE
    Anne Arundel Practical Shooters (also a short match)
    Shadow Hawk (WV)

PM any questions and glad to help out at any match I am at.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    The Peacemaker Intro To Handgun Competition course looks interesting. All I need is a couple extra mags, a holster and a sturdy belt and I'm ready!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom